Audi owners in here!

Associate
So, S5 v8's. Anyone had any experiences with one? Seriously tempted to upgrade from my A3 8P2, found a nice example locally to me http://www.fontain.co.uk/audi-s5-s5-fsi-quattro-nav-b-amp-o-dab-5628755

Anything to look out for, recommended options etc?

Can't comment on the V8, but I have recently purchased a V6 S5 Convertible. This is my second Audi, I had a number of BMW's prior to that (2 x E36's E46's and a Z4).

I'm really pleased with the S5. It is a really capable, solid feeling car. It is very quick, has endless grip and feels very refined. The interior quality is excellent; in my opinion much better than the equivalent 3 series.

I absolutely love the A5/S5 styling, they have great defined lines that really stand out when you see them in the flesh.

[TW]Fox;29303041 said:
It's easy to forget that behind the at first flash sounding 'S5' badge this car is a 335i alternative and not an M3 rival.

Once you realise this its hard to justify the sort of money they cost versus the equivalent 335.

I know that bigging up BMW's in the Audi thread is a sort of faux pas but I think this is fairly important to point out as people seem to get quite easily fooled into thinking it's a cut price M3 rival when it really isn't.

You are quite right; the S5 isn't an M3 equivalent - that's the job of the RS models. I suspect the majority of people looking at S5's understand this and can see past the "flash" sounding badge!

I have to disagree with the fact you say it's hard to justify the cost difference between the S5 and a 335i, that's for the buyer to decide depending on what they want and what they are looking for.

I am a fan of BMW's, and love the way they drive - especially the steering feel. I was considering purchasing a 335i as an alternative the S5 I eventually bought. The price difference wasn't huge (looking at models with less than 60,000 miles), though generally the S5's were more expensive

My previous A4 and current S5 lack the steering feel and feel somewhat clinical and less involving than the BMW's I have driven. However despite this I still opted for an S5 over the 335i.

The reason I did so is because I love the styling of the A5/S5 - in my opinion it is a much better looking car. Although the 3 series interior is a very nice place to be; I feel the Audi has a much better quality cabin and I love Audi’s super sport seats. Although the S5 lacks the feel available in other marques, it has amazing lateral grip and useable power thanks to Quattro. It is a very nice feeling to be able to use the power almost all the time. I also feel the A5 has a slightly less crashy ride than the 3 series – very important if you find yourself driving in speed bump obsessed London.

These things combined make for a very solid driving experience; different to the 3 series, but solid nonetheless. The above reasons combined made the extra cost on the 335i money well spent as far as I’m concerned. In fact if I’m honest I’d have probably spent the extra just for the styling alone, but that’s just me. I certainly wouldn't knock anyone for prefering a 335i - it's still a great car...

Soldato
Not a huge fan of BMW's, nothing against them at all but just prefer Audi's.
Did take a look at the E90 but I despise the interiors.
Looked at the V6 model but not sure on it. I only do 5000 miles a year and always wanted a V8 so might as well!

I specifically chose the v8 over the v6 as I wanted the v8 noise. For me, the v6 sounded awful by comparison and while it may be slightly quicker to accelerate, it didn't have the audible drama I wanted. The sound of the v8 is hard to pass up, I've wanted another ever since I sold my M5.

If I'd wanted a quicker more focused car, I would have bought the V8 e90 M3 I was looking at instead, but I wanted 4wd.

Compared to the 335i, I easily prefer the S5. It's looks, all-weather traction, build quality and the fit and finish of the interior (the super sport seats are fantastic) all made it the right choice for me.

Initially I fancied upgrading to an RS5, but I think it would be a poor choice now as the S5 gives me most of what I want for thousands less.

Caporegime
Rather than start a new thread I'll ask here: what's the point of the new A3 Saloon?

Not sure what the question is? It's just a smaller saloon than the A4 Saloon, and is certainly nothing new for the VAG group (think Bora/Jetta).

I think it's a fantastic thing. The proportions are spot on, the design cues are great, it's stiffer than the hatchback, and quieter/less road noise also.

Soldato
Not sure what the question is? It's just a smaller saloon than the A4 Saloon, and is certainly nothing new for the VAG group (think Bora/Jetta).

I think it's a fantastic thing. The proportions are spot on, the design cues are great, it's stiffer than the hatchback, and quieter/less road noise also.

Ok thanks for the answer.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I loved the V6 engine in the S4/S5, and whilst yeah a 335i is the equiv class (although I'd argue the S4/5 is nearer the RS/M range than the 335i is) I just prefer the Audis.

Man of Honour
(although I'd argue the S4/5 is nearer the RS/M range than the 335i is)

Why do people argue this though?

This might need it's own thread but there is simply no reason to 'argue' this. They cost the same new, they offered the same performance, they were direct competitors. Audi just chose to call it 'S4' instead of 'A4 3.0TFSI S-Line'. It had marginally more power than the 335i to counter the additional power draw of the Quattro but nothing that makes a noticeable difference in the real-world.

2012 Audi S4 3.0TFSI £38665
2012 BMW 335i M Sport £38685
2012 BMW M3 Saloon £53000
2012 Audi RS4 £54000

It's nothing like an M3 and to call it such is doing a dis-service to the RS4.

It was a master-stroke by the Audi marketing department.

I think they are great cars personally but it's always bugged me how people think there is any sort of comparison with an RS4/M3. There isn't. I think this is part of the reason why BMW introduced the daft 'M PERFORMANCE' brand, because people genuinelly thought that the S3/S4's were special in a way the 135i etc were not..

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Not saying I compare them to or are 'near' an RS4/M3, just for me they feel closer to them than a 335i M Sport does.

I'd agree they are still just a warmer standard car, but again just prefer an S4 or S5 over the 335i.

Family member who had an S5 then moved to a C63 said the Audi felt like a toy in comparison, imagine it'd be the same going to an RS or M car.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Just decided that instead of paying Audi to change my rear pads I will order VCDS/vag com and do the job myself. I've split the cost with a friend so it works out at £175 versus £129 for Audi to do it but I get the benefit of owning VCDS.

Bank holiday plan is to change some of the settings on the A6 including:
Enabling cornering lights
Enabling auto dip of the passenger in reverse
Enable DVDs whilst driving for passengers
Enabling ripping of CDs to the hard drive

I will let you know how I get on with it.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom