Who has a dog and works full time?

Soldato
Same although he's more a Merle Collie cross.

I did inherit him at age 3 after my girlfriend had spent hours training him so it's been very easy from my POV however she has mentioned that it was hours and hours of training everyday to teach recall.

what do you mean teach recall? is this something to help them cope on their own?

Associate
I'd love a dog but working in science I work 10-16 hour days and it's usually 7 days a week. So I got a gecko.

Bit of a compromise but reptiles don't want to be constantly man handled so there is no stress to being left alone. He sleeps during the day and is active at night when I get home as well which is a bonus. Plus I have the heating/humidity all linked up to stats which keeps the conditions optimal.

Only, women tend not to appreciate having boxes of live insects as food laying around.

Associate
Get a fish tank or something my brother had 2 dogs in his property alone all day due a split change in circumstances ect..

Went to work one day forgot something found one of the dogs fitting on his return had to be put down :( the poor bugger would have been suffering all day long 8-10 hours easily if he had not have come back.

other dog got looked after by parents during the day after that episode.

Soldato
It all boils down to if you are selfish or not. You want a dog, get one, you will find many people who will agree with you that it is fine to neglect man's best friend all day long, to make you feel better and you won't feel guilty about doing it, after all the dog will always look happy to see you at the end of the day.

Man of Honour
I'm in the same situation as the OP, would absolutely LOVE to get a dog, but I just don't work convenient hours that would be fair on the dog.

Same. Living foreveralone (free) at the moment and working the 9-5. The dog would be alone far too often and I'd probably come back to a clawed up place due to it being bored.

Always wanted a husky.

Soldato
Don't do it, I got a pup about 2 months ago and I work from home so with her constantly, she clearly wouldn't cope on her own and she's not that bothered about being alone at all (really good dog), but yeah it wouldn't suit a dog in anyway - dont do it, please.

Soldato
Soon as our schedules changed where we'd be gone for longer periods of a time, is when we added our second dog (rescued 4 month old).
Now, sometimes feels like we're just in the way of them playing and chasing each other :D
We're lucky in the sense we moved house, have 1.5 acres of fenced in yard with a doggy door, so the two of them chase each other, sniff and do all sorts all day long.

I'm still interested in opening a 'doggy day care' so to speak as it's very important to people. Have a friend who opened her own one in Dallas and does extremely well from it financially (and gets to hang out with dogs all day :) )

Caporegime
I'm in the same boat and have come to the same conclusion, can't be done :(

I work away during the week so it's pretty much impossible, or at least would be too disruptive for the dog to be shifting around living areas twice a week. Not fair on the dog and that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

Which is a real shame, i'd love to have a dog but i'm not selfish enough to do it. Which is saying something, because i'm pretty selfish :p

Soldato
The thing is, loads of people have 9-5 jobs but still own dogs. I don't know how they manage it half the time. A chap at work has a dog walker coming into his house once a day and they stick to a rigid regime of getting back from work punctually to make sure they can uncross their dogs legs and let it out for a whiz!

I'm still jealous of anyone who owns a dog though, would love a golden retriever.

Soldato
When we leave him in the day, we leave a frozen Kong, stuffed with bread, peanut butter and dried food which keeps him occupied for an hour. The rest of the time he just sleeps!

You purposely feed your dog BREAD?!

Please don't tell me you do this every day?

I have a dog. I work full time, but I have the luxury of mainly working from home, so she sits with me most of the day :D

When I am out, shes left for no more than 5 hrs, which is usually only once a week. Shes fine and mainly sleeps (we have a doggie cam to keep an eye on her so we know if its causing her stress) when shes on her own - That's after she collects up the hidden gravy bones we scatter about to give her something to do.

There are a number of factors, but on the whole it is a bad idea. I did once successfully have a dog when I did work all day out of home, by having two dogs. Double the work though and they aren't cheap to keep!

Associate
Switch careers haha. One of the very few advantages of being a farmer is that my mutt can spend a lot of time with me. On the days that she can't she's only left for 4hrs or so. If I'm away any longer then that'll be because I'm away in my tractor so she's with me generally being quite excited about the whole thing....for about 10minutes till she decides she will get comfy and watch for birds and things.

Back
Top Bottom