BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
The cab is new and we were switched from an EO line to this new cab recently. It is roughly where I expect as it is near the exchange.
BT are giving me the usual run around and telling me they can get in touch with Openreach to investigate why the data is wrong or provide a revised estimate.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
If you are absolutely sure that you are not now connected to a much nearer cabinet (possibly also new?) then that is a strange one

Associate
Just these past few months I've moved to a house share that has BT already in place, Just replaced the awful HH5 with a Archer VR900 and what an improvement !

Think it's worth ringing and seeing if i can get any discount on our broadband cost ? We pay for the Unlimited BT Infinity 2 but are lucky to get over 50Mb when downloading, I'm guessing this is down to the cabinet we are connected too as the wholesale checker shows the following.

vT1Ws.jpg

and the details in the router show.

w4TKN.jpg

Just a bit annoying paying for the higher package and not getting the speed, so used to Virgin Media in my old place that was a lovely 200Mb :(

Soldato
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...y-boost-rollout-ultrafast-fttp-broadband.html

ISP Preview said:
The CEO of BT Group, Gavin Patterson, has confirmed to the ‘Media & Telecoms 2016 & Beyond‘ conference in London that he will “significantly … accelerate the deployment” of their ultrafast 330Mbps capable Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband technology. But the details remain wafer thin.

Strictly speaking this isn’t a new development and indeed the first hints of an expanded FTTP deployment, which is “likely” to be complemented by a new “premium” 1000Mbps (1Gbps) product variant, came as part of BT’s original G.fast roll-out announcement in January 2015 (here).

Associate
Just adding my review here.
I've had BT Infinity 76Mb for 2.5 years now. For the first few months I was usually getting 75Mb speed. Since then I usually get 70-73Mb. Very very rarely noticed any short duration downtime.
About two weeks ago it went down during the evening after 6pm, so that's the only downtime I've ever had with them.

So, 99.9% perfect?

For over a year I've had my eye on Hyperoptic after they sent me a letter through my apartment door, I'd never heard of them before, they said they were looking for interest so I registered on their website. Now my apartment block is registered as "Taking pre-orders" and last Monday they installed their socket in my apartment ready for when they turn my block live.

So BT were awesome but I now have a better offer from Hyperoptic.

Birmingham city centre.

Last edited:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
BT Unveil Large Ultrafast G.fast Broadband Pilot and 1Gbps FTTP Trials

Telecoms giant BT has today announced an expansion of their “ultrafast fibre” broadband plans in the United Kingdom, which will see a pilot of 300-500Mbps capable G.fast technology going live with 25,000 premises in Cambridgeshire and Kent and a new 1Gbps business FTTP pilot running in Bradford.

On top of that the operator has announced that it will also expand upon last month’s agreement to deliver “fibre based” (FTTC/P) broadband connectivity into new build properties (here) by offering to build FTTP “free of charge” to new housing developments with 250+ premises.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...afast-g-fast-broadband-pilot-fttp-trials.html

Man of Honour
Might be a broad question, but I'm wondering what y'all paying for your Infinity?

Contract up in April and I've gotta decide on leaving and going somewhere cheaper or pushing BT to give me a cheaper renewal. Don't know what to aim for though.

Associate
I was getting charged £32 a month for BT Infinity 75/20. Phoned them up the other day and asked if they had any offers on and they knocked it down to £21.

Sweet.

I'm also interested in BitTorrent setups. I can max download but my upload speed is always throttled. At least it seems that way.

Nice work man. Also on infinity 15/65 ish and i pay about the same. Time for a call i think.

Soldato
G.INP has just been enabled on my cab, internet went a bit funny for a few minutes and i noticed that my ping has dropped by about 3 ms on my ping monitor. Checked the modem and it seems it's enabled, definitely wasn't enabled before.

I assumed BT had halted the G.INP rollout, seems it's started again.

94c7fa81204a556ba8e600ddc5b3711c.png

325a5c1cbfe080ad5596bca639edc7ad.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I was getting charged £32 a month for BT Infinity 75/20. Phoned them up the other day and asked if they had any offers on and they knocked it down to £21.

Sweet.

I'm also interested in BitTorrent setups. I can max download but my upload speed is always throttled. At least it seems that way.
BT say they throttle torrents but they never did it to me when I was with them for 4+ years.

Soldato
Is there any way I can get BT to send me a HH5 for free?

I'm still using a HH3 at the moment. It's 99% fine. Only minor issue I have noticed is recently the Apple devices seem to disconnect form the WiFi. (infrequently)

Only way I can fix it, is by refreshing the WiFi auto selection and then reconnecting the device back to the network which requires retyping the password.

Must be some change Apple made in IOS or a bug.

Are there any rumours of a HH6 on the horizon?

Soldato
You could complain that it's not working and the cheapest way for you to get one is to move providers. They will likely tie you into a new contract if they give you a new hub though.

Or you could just buy a separate WiFi access point if that's your only issue.

Soldato
So our line seemed to stabilise around 44Mbit down and 6.9Mbit up, well below our estimate and just about in line with the worst "impacted" line speeds reported on ADSL Checker. Speeds have recently plummeted again to:

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):3518
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):24505
Downstream line attenuation: 31.1 dB
Noise Margin 3.9 dB

The line attenuation was sitting at around 26dB before. Do we need to call an Openreach engineer out again, only to be told the line is fine and our speed estimate was inaccurate and this is all our line is capable of?

Back
Top Bottom