Apple's March 21st 2016 event

Caporegime
I'm in limbo again now. I wanted to get rid of my ipad 3 but this new pad doesn't seem worth the price bump to what would have naturally come anyway. Or get a reduced priced air2 that is getting on for 18 months old?

Soldato
I'm in limbo again now. I wanted to get rid of my ipad 3 but this new pad doesn't seem worth the price bump to what would have naturally come anyway. Or get a reduced priced air2 that is getting on for 18 months old?

I've decided I'm keeping my iPad Air 1 and waiting a few months for 3rd party to drop the Pro price.

Man of Honour

If it had 4GB I probably would have ordered. Our iPad Air stays for the time being.

Caporegime
If it had 4GB I probably would have ordered. Our iPad Air stays for the time being.

Same, although I'm a bit more pushed as my ipad 3 is struggling. TBH it was struggling the day it was released which is why they brought out the ipad4 about 6 months later. With this having 2gb my concern is falling into that same trap again!

I might just have to take the hit on the pro. If I had an air I'd stay put but my 3 chugs sometimes.

Caporegime
OP
I would think 80% of iOS devices are still on 1GB of RAM or less. I wouldn't worry that 2GB is going to be obsolete before the end of the decade. The trick is probably not to upgrade too far, i.e. get to iOS 10/11 but leave it at that. I suspect a lot of devices are made slower by newer operating systems.

My mini was fine on iOS 7/8. 9 has crippled it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does seem a bit rough, but I guess they don't want to make it too good, or there wont be incentive to upgrade in a couple years!
I feel like the next generation of pro tablets, will be the ones that could probably replace my main PC.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour

Keep an eye on Apple refurb.

Soldato
I've gone for it. I'm on an old iPad 2 with a cracked screen so my decision is pretty easy to make

Managed to get a free pen and case to go with, none official stuff but probably the best and only deal around.

Caporegime
OP
I went for an iPad mini 4 in the end. I would have gone for an Air 2 but the most important factor for me is the ability to hold the pad in one hand comfortably. My goodness. Compared to the original mini it's fast. Can't believe how slow the old one is when you see them side by side.

Associate
I'm annoyed with apple (for memory downgrade) but I think I'm gonna get this ipad pro 9.7 anyway:/ been waiting too long since first ipad air and think it's going to give mi nice kick in performance (not so much future proof though:/ )

I'm gonna go with o2 59£ upfront and 34£ monthly for 2 years (875£ in total). Seems like a pretty good deal for me (this model of cellular ipad itself would cost me 719£, so it comes out like 6.5£ per month for 4G internet). Only 500GB per month but I'm fine with this (I need cellular mostly for traveling abroad anyway).

Soldato
2GB is adequate, but on a 'pro' model, released 18 months later...I'd want more RAM for the extra money.

Its meant too replace your ****** old windows machine, with 2GB ram, interesting choice. For me at least my Air2 does everything I need and more, don't see myself upgrading for a few years as my air2 is overkill for what I do already.

Was really hoping for a new laptop from this event as I want too replace my 13" rMBP.

Caporegime
I've decided to just get an Air 2 refurb and save even more. You just know this Pro is getting a refresh before xmas. I will just then pass the Air2 onto the Mrs and get the next Pro, instead of one that wants to charge me £80 for a name change.

Soldato
Its meant too replace your ****** old windows machine, with 2GB ram, interesting choice. For me at least my Air2 does everything I need and more, don't see myself upgrading for a few years as my air2 is overkill for what I do already.

Was really hoping for a new laptop from this event as I want too replace my 13" rMBP.

Sort of the same here. I'm 'stuck' with my Air 2, rMBP 13" and iPhone 6. Apple used to be experts in compelling us to upgrade every 12 months. Not any longer.

Caporegime
OP
It's amazing what difference the 2GB memory makes in this new mini. The old one could do 1 or 2 apps before it had to reload. I've got about 8 running now (incl. 2 games) and it's not reloading any of them when switching. 4GB would probably be insane. :D

Back
Top Bottom