Pulling to the left

Soldato
If the tyres have an asymmetrical tread pattern and need to be fitted with the correct "rotation" it's worth checking they've not got it wrong. But my money would be on the tracking having been done incorrectly. On my previous car I had tyres and tracking done and following that it tram-lined something shocking. I took it back and they checked it twice and swore it was spot-on. In frustration I took elsewhere and they did the job properly and sorted it first go. It's not how good the kit is, it whether the bloke doing the job knows how to use it.

Soldato
Any tyre place worth its salt will offer you a free recheck within 200 miles.

There's a few reasons why it still might be pulling. Three common ones is the steering wheel wasn't clamped in position, the engine wasn't kept running for a more accurate adjustment, or the rears were adjusted and this can cause it to pull to the left with some alignment machines if the fronts wasn't done separately.

Soldato
Is this even possible? It's never been off for any reason

The tracking can be correct but the wheel off center. When they do the tracking, they have to lock the wheel dead center. If they don't, it will be off. Doesn't mean the wheel has been off but it can be out of alignment.

Soldato
Is this even possible? It's never been off for any reason

It is possible. The steering wheel in my old Mini had never been off since new out of the factory. Yet it has always been off centre.

Only slightly but it was more noticeable when driving.

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-27%20at%2019.38.20.png

Associate
OP
Well it's still doing it, tyre presures are OK and they are directional tyres but all 4 are facing the right way. Will be taking it somewhere else on Tuesday when the garages Re open for a second opinion.

Soldato
I got the tyres done, free tracking check, said it needed doing so had it done.

Then drove the car for 5 mins, could feel it pulling as soon as I was out of the car park so took it back the following morning (left as they were closing)

They put it back on the machine (4 wheel laser), checked it and said one wheel was out and they would Re align it.

Still pulling now but can't get back there till Tuesday.

Actually have to turn the steering wheel slightly to keep it straight which is a real effort

Seems fishy. Why would anyone offer you free tracking because it "needed doing"?

Can you tell this guy I'll take a free clutch because it also "needs doing" please?

If some mechanic offered to work on my car for free even if it was for 2 minutes I'd be running for the hills, or reaching for the ignition.

Sounds like what he's done is **** up your car so you come back to him. I've seen it all the time, unfortunately there are psychopaths in every trade and motoring has a relatively substantial amount, due to customer inexperience/ignorance. Getting 4 new tyres should never yield such a drastic change in your car's behaviour. Were your old tyres showing excessively uneven wear?

Last edited:
Soldato
Since it only started happening after fitting new tyres. Probably a bad tyre of they screwed up the tracking.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Since it only started happening after fitting new tyres. Probably a bad tyre of they screwed up the tracking.

We'll see, would it help if I posted the alignment printout?

To clarify, every time I've had my tyres changed on any car, a free tracking check has been offered... This time they said it needed sorting out as a result of the check, so had it done. Last time I had a tracking check done, it didn't need doing.

Soldato
Steering wheel not straight/fitted properly I'm guessing.

He's saying the car is physically pulling to the left when driving. Having your steering wheel incorrectly fitted will not cause the car to steer itself!

I'd be looking at bushes in the front suspension, Wishbones first. The new tyres have probably highlighted the issue.

Last edited:
Don
Are any of your wheels hot after driving? I had a slightly sticking left rear caliper that caused this same issue. Couldn't hear the difference and it seemingly made no difference to MPG, but the car would slightly pull to the left.

-I'd intend to agree that it's a faulty tyre/tracking, but you shouldn't rule it out.

Take it back to the first place.

Soldato
We'll see, would it help if I posted the alignment printout?

To clarify, every time I've had my tyres changed on any car, a free tracking check has been offered... This time they said it needed sorting out as a result of the check, so had it done. Last time I had a tracking check done, it didn't need doing.

Like I asked before - does he printout show the correct model of car? All cars have different specs, if they selected the wrong one on the machine it would mean it could be totally out

bJN

bJN

Soldato
How old is the car? If it's getting on, then parts of the suspension system will be getting tired and can lead to the car drifting one way or the other, especially with uneven wear.

Back
Top Bottom