Amazon Fire TV

Suspended
just put Kodi on my fire stick. My HTPC is downstairs for the main TV

The fire stick is installed on a bedroom tv. Kodi works, finds my HTPC and I can scroll through folders and watch films and tv shows as I can downstairs. BUT i have no Art work on Kodi of the actual film (dvd cases) is this something it will not do on the fire stick through KODI?

When you first setup the folder you want to share your given the option to choose if its a movie,music,tv show folder.I would redo the share and look out for the option this time.

Caporegime
Not really.

I've only just got into all this prime. Media playing boxes so it would just be a lot easier for me to put my old blu rays dvds onto my fire tv to watch them. I see no harm in it What so ever. If I could predict the future then idbe loaded and wouldn't be bothered about buying all my films again in digital format .

when you bought them you paid for 1 disc copy a dvd.

therefore you knew you needed a dvd player to use or play them.

yes the future has came along and now digital storage is so cheap you can store them on drives and play them using media servers, etc but you knew what was happening when you bought them.

i'm in the same boat as you i own about 400 dvd's. i simply just put whatever disc i want into the player when i want to watch it. i also haven't bought a physical movie in about 10 years. i realised they were a waste of money when blu ray came out, and now 4k blu ray. next will be 8k blu ray, etc, etc.

i now just borrow them off mates who haven't cottoned on to how much of a waste they are no point buying physical discs any more IMO unless your a collector.

Soldato
when you bought them you paid for 1 disc copy a dvd.

therefore you knew you needed a dvd player to use or play them.

yes the future has came along and now digital storage is so cheap you can store them on drives and play them using media servers, etc but you knew what was happening when you bought them.

i'm in the same boat as you i own about 400 dvd's. i simply just put whatever disc i want into the player when i want to watch it. i also haven't bought a physical movie in about 10 years. i realised they were a waste of money when blu ray came out, and now 4k blu ray. next will be 8k blu ray, etc, etc.

i now just borrow them off mates who haven't cottoned on to how much of a waste they are no point buying physical discs any more IMO unless your a collector.

Interesting post, the law has killed your consumerism and the movie studios lost sales.

Soldato
My gen1 fire TV box remote has busted, noticed it was not responding so checked the batteries to find a leaking battery.
Changed them but still not working.

Having to use the remote app now, hopefully amazon might replace it if I'm lucky.

Soldato
anyone elses remote keeps on losing sync to the fire tv? This is happening quite regular on mine and I wonder if its a fault or just something that happens...

OK got another one and its doing exactly the same... must be a problem with my setup.... Im thinking maybe the HDMI link?

Caporegime
OK got another one and its doing exactly the same... must be a problem with my setup.... Im thinking maybe the HDMI link?

I have the Fire TV box and I've found that if I get a bit enthusiastic clicking up or down, it too will lose sync. Batteries out/in and up and running again.

Have you tried the app? Works quite well and a delight if typing.

Soldato
yeah I have but it depends if I have the phone on me (it is better!) - remote is much easier though...

Also when clicking the button to resume from standby - the box doesn't come back on and there is a long wait at black screen and then finally Fire TV logo - this is happening quite often on both boxes...

Really think its getting itself confused with HDMI link and handshake...

The fireTV is plugged into Sony Soundbar and that into Sony TV.....

Caporegime
Interesting post, the law has killed your consumerism and the movie studios lost sales.

it's the fact a better copy will be along in 10 years making the copy you paid £15 for worth about £1.

blu rays will still hold their value longer but poundland and stalls are full of dvd's for £1 or less. you can usually get 4 for £5 or 9 for £10, etc.

dvd is dead now HD is here. dvd was invented in 1995 and lasted about what? 10 years? blu ray came out in 2006 so yeah 10 years as although it was invented in 1995 i bet the first dvd movie was released in 1996.

4k blu ray coming out this year so bang on 10 years again.

8k blu ray 2026? i think it will be sooner as it's moving so fast now.

Soldato
anyone use a stick between 2 screens? I had it on my main tv at 1080 resolution, stuck it into a monitor over dvi and just get "out of range", haven't had a play yet to see if i can set it to auto check the res, but can anyone confirm the right way to go about this?

Soldato
Also when clicking the button to resume from standby - the box doesn't come back on and there is a long wait at black screen and then finally Fire TV logo - this is happening quite often on both boxes...

Really think its getting itself confused with HDMI link and handshake...

The fireTV is plugged into Sony Soundbar and that into Sony TV.....

Okay this is resolved now but not in an acceptable way....

Connecting the FireTV to the Sony TV directly has fixed the issue.....

Associate
What do you NVidia shield owners have as internal storage space for games and apps- usb3 key or are ssd's possible? via usb 3 enclosure - I ruled out mechanical and sdxc cards and didn't buy the 500gb

Caporegime
Currently using Kodi on the (original) Fire and its struggling to play the latest few MKVs I've tried. Is the 4K version significantly faster? Wondering whether it's time to upgrade to it, even though at the moment it's only going to be used to play 1080p.

Soldato
Speaking of remotes. To my suprise, my normal Sony IR TV remote works with the AFTV without any extra setup.

I picked up the wrong remote and noticed I could use all the buttons with AFTV.
The only button I'm unable to find is the context menu/options button. Is there a way to map this?

Suspended
Speaking of remotes. To my suprise, my normal Sony IR TV remote works with the AFTV without any extra setup.

I picked up the wrong remote and noticed I could use all the buttons with AFTV.
The only button I'm unable to find is the context menu/options button. Is there a way to map this?

If your on Kodi 16.0 that supports long press of the select button to bring up the context menu.

Caporegime
Is there a way to stop the FTV going to sleep/shutting the screen off when you turn the TV off?

My CEC over HDMI works fine, but only once the device is on and displaying. When I first switch to the FTV the screen is blank and my Harmony remote won't work. I need to press a button on the FTV remote to wake the FTV, and then my Harmony works fine. It turns on instantly so must just disable the screen or be in suspend or something? The TV doesn't recognise there's a device to control over CEC until its on.

I can't find any settings anywhere in the FTV or Kodi to stop it? Am I missing something? I just want it to stay on a the time?

Caporegime
Apparently this can be done through adb as its not a setting that is exposed through the UI. The below command will set the Screen Off to 24 days (which is the value that the FTV uses for the Screensaver if you set that to 'Never').

Code:
adb shell settings put system screen_off_timeout 2147460000

I will give it a go tonight and report back, if anyone is interested :).

Back
Top Bottom