New car for around 4-5k

Soldato
Hi all, thinking of getting shot of my 54reg mk2 focus and getting something a bit newer, my car needs more money spent on it and it seems to cost a few hundred every few months at the moment so I'm getting fed up with it.

I have a few quid spare and assuming I can get around a grand for mine (does that seem realistic? 76k miles on it) I'll have a max budget of 5k to play with.

I'm after something that'll hopefully last a good few years and in good nick.

Been looking at newer mk2 focuses, seen a few 60 plates with 1 previous owner, 45k odd miles and fsh which is top end of the budget, is that roughly as good as it gets, or is there something I've overlooked? My missus keeps pointing out similar 308's which are about a grand cheaper but are pugs reliable? They don't have a good rep being French!

Associate
My missus keeps pointing out similar 308's which are about a grand cheaper but are pugs reliable? They don't have a good rep being French!

I had a Peugeot 308 1.6 vti Sport. Lovely car to drive, was really good for the first few months.

Then it developed a fault with the injectors, then after that the rear break pad fell off causing damage to the drum. Then after that the rear suspension popped out, then after that the timing chain stretched, then while that was getting repaired the water pump blew itself apart, then I'd randomly get limp home mode kick in, even though official testing showed nothing wrong and no errors. All this while the seals kept leaking. Also at some point the head gasket had perished a bit, and the exhaust at the front of the engine had managed to cause a gap between itself and the sensor there making it blow out the front a bit. ( I spent over 2 grand on the car, in repairs alone, over 3 years of having it )

Luckily I was slammed into by some one who pushed me into a parked car and the car's been written off.

However, I have a friend with another 308 which is going incredibly well, no issues in the 4 years he has had it, general maintenance is easy as is MOT/Servicing. I'd buy another one if I got a good engine, the 1.6vti just wasn't built too well and unfortunately I only found this out after buying it and getting the issues in the first place. General reviews were good.

My missus wants me to look at the newer Peugeot 208, I am unsure though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it just me, or does it seem silly to be spending £4k on essentially the same car, bar a few cosmetic touches on the exterior and interior for the sake of 20-30k miles on the clock.

Surely there's not £4k worth of things to go wrong on your current Focus? What keeps costing you hundreds every few months?

Soldato
OP
whats wrong with your focus?

Everything that's been repaired previously seems to have been repaired poorly so I have no trust in it the power steering pipes were bodged , which I had to replace shortly after buying, the thermostat was bodged which I've had to replace, it is corroding underneath, everytime a mechanic or a friend with knowhow looks at, they always scratch their head as the piping is all wired incorrectly and wrong types have been used etc. It is due a cambelt change and needs a few odds and sods changed as well as the corrosion needing investigating.

No it wont cost the price of a new car to repair but I cant be bothered with it anymore so want something newer and a bit nicer while its still running and worth something to get rid of as it has a years mot on it.

It may seem like repairing it is the right course of action, but you know when you just lose faith and lose patience? Well that's how I feel. I feel like I'm just counting down to something big going wrong, I'm told it looks like the head gasket has been repaired / replaced on it, which makes me worry that was also bodged and will go at some point.

Maybe I just need some sense talking into me!

and a 4k car is going to be any different ?

I'm hoping you guys can answer that one for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
If u have the 5k cash to spare then obviously just go for it as a 2010 mk2.5 with about 50k on can be had for 5k now. And if it's been looked after then it's going to feel nicer to drive with it also being 6 years newer. Have a look at the Zetec S mk2.5 far better looking than the standard Focus or the Titanium.
5k Would also get a 08/09 Mondeo which are nicer to drive.

Soldato
OP
A second hand 4k focus could also have the same problems as your 1k focus is what he's trying to get at.

Well, the one I was looking at is 6 years newer, has a fsh, only one owner, half the mileage and looks immaculate. I'd be surprised if it has even a quarter of the history of mine, but it is a valid point.

Soldato
A second hand 4k focus could also have the same problems as your 1k focus is what he's trying to get at.

Yeh but it sounds like op's has been used and abused so a 1 owner low mileage Focus that's 5-6 years Newer is highly unlikely to be falling to bits like the car he has now

Soldato
OP
Ibiza is a small hatch not a medium hatch like the Focus. You want a Leon for that

Ah is it, I couldn't tell from the pictures, It would probably be ok though, I don't NEED a bigger car but would rather keep things a similar size to what I'm used to :)

I'm glad you noticed some of the crazy suggestions I've been getting haha. I'd love a hot hatch, but it isn't sensible enough :(

Back
Top Bottom