If you have a lumia or nokia windows read this !!

Associate
I know there are other threads but i have to shout about this, I have a lumia 640 xl after trading in my galaxy s6 edge for a gtx 980 :)and I toyed with the idea of win 10 on it but was waiting for the official release.

I couldn't wait so downloaded the developer app opened it clicked accept a few times and it installed windows 10 and has transformed my much loved lumia into a phone i now cant put down it has quite simply totally transformed a phone i loved into a even better one.

The text always looked a bit jagged on the win 8 os and i put this down to the screen resolution , the lack of apps i could live with as it was cheap and went all day. Now its like its on steroids the screen text is ultra sharp and no jaggies the apps i can now get the apps i want PLEX/YouTube ect ect as they are the windows 10 apps no mobile apps , the email the calendar in fact every aspect of the phone is sooooooooooooo much improved not had 1 crash either it now picks up wifi hotspots i never even knew were there.

I cant rave how good this is , it even matches my desktop theme colour to my phone . If you have a lumia or nokia just get the windows 10 update you will be amazed i had a galaxy s6 edge before this and i wouldlt go back phenominal !!!

Associate
OP
26028397342_bac1bbf99b.jpg
26054556101_da8eb609ac.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have a Lumia 1020 with Windows Phone 8.1 and I thoroughly hate it. It is utterly crap in comparison to Android or even iOS... Will upgrading to 10 make it a little bit less terrible?

Soldato
I have a Lumia 1020 with Windows Phone 8.1 and I thoroughly hate it. It is utterly crap in comparison to Android or even iOS... Will upgrading to 10 make it a little bit less terrible?

No

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/21264_1020.php
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/21340_Of_versions_and_branches-the_e.php

I've been using Win10 on a 640 for the past month or so. Its still quite buggy IMO. For example the step pedometer, works fine in WP8.1 doesn't work in WP10. Thats the latest WP10 build. I've had to do countless resets and re-installs to get past bugs on earlier builds.

Yet I can still pick up an old Android from 3 or 4 yrs ago and everything will work as expected.

And I like WP.

Associate
I've installed the official release on my 930. I'm enjoying the better responsiveness in the OS, modern mobile Office and other improvements like built in timer and flashlight features (yep, no more dodgy apps for basic functionality!). Always worth having for the latest apps, although there are.not too many Windows 10 versions currently.

There are a couple of bugs that I've come across; for some reason the Health app can't use the motion data (not sure if there's a deeper problem there) and one of my Bluetooth devices just won't connect (others are fine). Hopefully the next update will fix them.

Associate

Yes, and no. Yes the OS is so much better, things work better, text is now clear etc.
No, still lack of apps, buggy, lack of apps.
The live tiles, when they work, are lovely, there are some nice features in WP 10.

Soldato
Yes, and no. Yes the OS is so much better, things work better, text is now clear etc.
No, still lack of apps, buggy, lack of apps.
The live tiles, when they work, are lovely, there are some nice features in WP 10.

Are you talking about W10 Mobile in general or the 1020 specifically.

Soldato
The 830 and 1020 are very different internally. The 1020 has the old S4 dual core chipset and W10M is very poorly optimised for it, likewise the 41mp camera.

Caporegime
8.1 was significantly better than 8, so I would assume 10 will be another step forward.

Unfortunately, its far to little far to late and does nothing to solve the lack of apps issue that is the main plague of Windows Phone.

Windows 10 will make your **** more shiny, but its still a ****.

Edit: Really OcUK? Thats censored?! The word for poo that starts with a t is banned on here? Lol!

Soldato
Strange this is I went and got myself an iPhone, but my god is it useless, I'm now selling it on, some of it as straight up terrible, I thought I had a few bugs and problems with doing all the fast ring updates for W10 on my 930, but even in its current state its miles ahead.

Also, to be aware, their is not "official" release for this update, WP10 isn't actually finished yet.

And dotn bother with anything Official from YouTube, they are awful in terms of what they don't do, get SuperTube, MyTube or MetroTube, MetroTube lets you predownload and watch later with no data use, background playing, and lock screen playing etc.

Last edited:
Associate
I was having that. I've discovered though, that when I turn on the GPS/Location it does display the data. Its actually been working, just not displaying. Until the GPS is turned on.

Unfortunately, I think it's a problem with my sensecore as my location bits are all turned on. It happened after a factory reset I did just after it updated.

cu3ed, this is the update from the Upgrade Advisor; I'm not running as an insider, this is the first proper release of 10. I'm aware that it will be developed though, like all of the OS's.

Caporegime
The worse thing about Windows Phone is not the lack of apps. Is that you spam every thread that mentions it.

That's more to do with there only being 2 Windows 10 threads :p

You can deny it all you like, but the lack of apps/support from 3rd parties is the single biggest issue with Windows Phone, and always has been. It doesn't get "spammed" in every thread, it gets "stated" in every thread, as its a significant issue.

Associate

You can deny it all you like, but the lack of apps/support from 3rd parties is the single biggest issue with Windows Phone, and always has been. It doesn't get "spammed" in every thread, it gets "stated" in every thread, as its a significant issue.

This, all of this! Unless you are very lucky, and only use the very most basic apps then you will be inconvenienced using W10, which is a huge shame as the OS is slick, fast and easy to use.

Soldato

I've yet to find a windows thread you haven't posted in, and usually far in excess than any other poster. All with the same issues over and over. You don't like it. Can you move on with your life lol.

Soldato
Unfortunately, I think it's a problem with my sensecore as my location bits are all turned on. It happened after a factory reset I did just after it updated.

cu3ed, this is the update from the Upgrade Advisor; I'm not running as an insider, this is the first proper release of 10. I'm aware that it will be developed though, like all of the OS's.

I did the same.

For many people there been lots of different issues with each reset. You fix one issue and another appears. Very inconsistent. Another reset might fix it for you. You'll find more info on Windows Central. I went back to 8.1 then straight to this build this time. Heath apps had a few updates over the last day or so.

Back
Top Bottom