**The Massive TFT Sticky - FAQ, Links and Buyers Guide**

Caporegime
Another question badass regarding me noticing banding on my 29um65:

Well this is interesting, decided to try a different cable (replaced my display port cable with the HDMI cable) and:

- the banding seems to be a lot better, definitely not as noticeable
- on the white saturation test, 253 used to be a lot more visible when using the display port cable and I can't even see 254 now where as with the display port cable, I could just about make it out....

What gives?! :confused:

Man of Honour
OP
weird. sounds like using HDMI might have switched you to limited RGB range, a common thing on NVIDIA cards. check your graphics card settings to see if thats happened here on your AMD if you can?

Caporegime
Yeah I had a look through amd ccc last night and came across that but I was already using full RGB, tried limited RGB but it is still the same regarding the white saturation test, only difference seems to be the colours look a lot more dull, not as vivid.

Puzzled as to why this is happening.

Man of Honour
OP
can only think it's something related to gamma curves with perhaps some difference in presets from different interfaces on the monitor

Caporegime
Yeah probably, I tried changing contrast, gamma etc. through the monitor OSD and AMD CCC but it didn't make any difference.

I will stick with HDMI as the banding was noticeable in media content when using a display port cable.

Caporegime
Just been reading about the madvr update for 10 bit support there and came across this badass:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172128

AMD cards dither the output by default, but you can disable it:

Check the Catalyst Control Center under "Information" -> "Software" to get the 2D driver path. Then run regedit.exe and open that path in the left pane.
You should see values in the right pane like "AdapterDesc" and a bunch of settings.
Add a DWORD value named TMDS_DisableDither (for DVI), DP_DisableDither (for DisplayPort), HDMI_DisableDither (for HDMI) with a value of 1. Reboot after.

So could that be why I was seeing a difference between HDMI and DP on my monitor when it came to the white saturation and gradient banding test?

Caporegime
Thanks.

I would like to get the x-rite i1 pro calibrator but I really don't want to spend "that" much on a calibrator :o :p

Seen a few people reporting good things about the spyder5 and it is decent bit cheaper so might try it out, still not sure if £90 is even worth it though...

Check the i1 Display pro, much cheaper than the i1 pro :)

Still too expensive :p :(

I see the i1 is about £140 and the Spyder 5 is £125. Is there anything cheaper?

After all im just probably only ever going to use it every time i change monitors which is about once aevery 4 years?

Man of Honour
OP
Recalibration should be done every few months or so as backlight characteristics change with age. If you buy anything too cheap you might as well not bother and stick with by eye calibration and basic osd adjustments. Otherwise cheap instruments will just create equally inaccurate results

Man of Honour
OP
you'll need to be a little careful with comparing different sources for a few reasons.

Firstly, those results you've included for the LG are for the "fast" overdrive setting and that introduces a lot of overshoot as reported in the Prad review. it's probably not a fair comparison with the Acer tests which are at the optimum "normal" OD setting where there is no overshoot at all. A better comparison between the two would be with the LG set to "medium" as per this:

R8UYBwP.jpg

and compare that with the Acer tests you provided:

f2Xcajh.png

i'm not really sure what some of the Prad figures there are supposed to represent to be honest, it's a bit confusing. looking at it, their "avg" figures would be the closest measurement to what i am measuring in the TFTCentral tests there. so on the LG at "medium" overdrive mode the average G2G is 11.1 - 11.7ms G2G. that would be a fairly typical average G2G response time for a 60Hz IPS panel like that and looks realistic. their "fast" overdrive setting pushes G2G to 8 - 8.3ms G2G but at the cost of some heavy overshoot, which is again typical.

So in this comparison i would say you're comparing the LG with about 11.5ms G2G response time vs the Acer at 8.6ms G2G (when at optimal overdrive setting with no overshoot introduced).

Response times do have some impact on motion clarity although it's going to be fairly minimal unless the difference was more significant. i would expect to see some motion clarity improvements from response times alone between the LG and Acer there. There is an additional motion clarity impact then based on refresh rate, which improves motion clarity. So the Acer you've referenced there (the XR341CK) runs at 75Hz which will offer some improvement again compared with a 60Hz panel. if you pushed refresh rate higher still to 100, 120, 144Hz it would again improve motion clarity. From there, you're reaching the point of diminishing returns which is where blur reduction backlight systems then come in as the next step to improve motion claritfy significantly

Caporegime
Thanks! :)

And yeah I used the fast option for the lg as I find it to be noticeably better over medium just for the feel and look although do notice overshoot, mostly on black to white transitions, from reading your review, there didn't seem to be too much difference on a freesync system between normal and extreme setting with acer.

So you reckon the acer would be a decent improvement over the lg when it comes to motion clarity then even if both are getting similar fps?

Man of Honour
OP
i think you'd see some moderate improvements in motion clarity thanks to the reduced response times/removal of overshoot, and the increased refresh rate. You'd obv get a decent increase in screen size and resolution too

moving to a higher refresh rate IPS panel like the Acer Predator X34 at 100Hz would show more of a change, but i'm assuming you're an AMD freeSync user here?

Caporegime
Yup I have a 290, which I will be keeping until the next big single GPU's are out and most likely will stick with AMD unless nvidia are cheaper with their next lot of cards :p I hate locking myself into one gpu vendor though but there doesn't look like there will be a choice until at least the next lot of gpu with display port 1.3 and monitors that will have display port 1.3 too.

Thanks, I just can't decide if I should pull the trigger on the acer screen :o Motion clarity is something that really bugs me :( I am happy enough with it on my 29um65 if I can maintain a constant 60fps but with the acer @ 1440, this will be a struggle....

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just noticed AMD now allow you to fine tune overclocks for monitors, wondering if anyone knows what settings to use to try and achieve 75HZ on my LG 29um65?

I believe some have been able to get 75HZ without frame skipping on nvidia systems

J7z07aP.png

Any ideas on where to start?

Soldato
Probably been asked a million times but what are newer TVs like for gaming? My 8 year old 27" monitor is looking old compared to my son's new Samsung monitor. It's making me itch that his monitor is better than mine.

I game at 1200p now but if the TV is 1080p I'm ok with that as well.

Buy a TV or stick with a monitor ?

Soldato
Rather than making a thread I'll just ask here. Probably been asked thousands of times anyway.

My son wants a second monitor for Christmas which I've got. He want to game on one and browse on the other.

Does it work properly or are there any programs to make it work properly? By property I mean the game full screen on 1 and then you can switch to the other monitor for what ever he wants to do, like having 2 PC's ?

I've never used 2 monitors only a TV with a monitor when switching to the TV before we had HDMI and using scart was a right pain in the rear

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom