Nvidia re-release Shield Tablet K1

Associate
Guys, I'm just going to do a cut & paste from my Reddit post here. Is the device really slow to charge for you all? These are my results from just an hour ago...

----

I'll add my input to this as I received my K1 a few days ago and as I type this, it is going through its first full charge from 4% to 100% right now.

My K1 has Lollipop 5.1.1 on it and I previously did notice it charging quite slowly from 80-100% using my 21W 2.4A Apple iPad charger, which I recently sold with my iPad 3.

So yesterday I took delivery of this charger from Amazon UK. Another 21W high output charger. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019H0K1CK

Before going to sleep last night at midnight I set the Shield to charge. It is now 07:33 (7.5hrs have passed) in the morning and having just woken up, the shield is at 98%. Something doesn't make sense.

I charge a lot of things in this house via USB and this is the first time I have come across such a slow charging device. It is the K1's FIRST full charge I should add. The same USB cable I use to charge my Note4 without issues as well as my Kindle.

Might just order one of these USB Multimeter's to see what is going on. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Q2HWLYS

Read about the battery drain issue. Might explain it.

Soldato
Read about the battery drain issue. Might explain it.
That drain issue is primarily for 6.0 afaik. It is a bug which causes 1 core to run at 100% all the time. Lollipop is meant to be completely fine and the safest option for now.

Edit: Looking at the reviews on amazon, other users are mentioning 7-10hr charge times too. I think I'll return this tbh. The battery life is just hilariously poor on Lollipop whilst the tablet is in standby mode.

Edit: Returning the tablet and controller. I'll hold out and see what 2016 tablets offer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tempted to grab one of these but the battery issues are putting me off. Does the slow charging and poor battery life occur on 5.1.1? How's the WiFi on this as well?

Last edited:
Associate
No Wifi issues for me, no better or worse than my Nexus 6 anyway.

The battery drain issue isn't great, but i reckon i'm only losing around 20-25% total capacity. I'm not impressed that the update to 6.0 was released, with such a big fault, and that a fix is taking so long to sort out. But the tablet still works fine for me. If it was a £300 tablet, i'd be a lot more upset. But for the £150 i paid, i don't mind waiting it out for the update a little longer.

Hopefully they'll continue to update the software, but without rushing them out in the future.

I'd root and roll back to 5.1.1 if I didn't need the extra storage capacity of the SD Card for internal storage.

Associate
They seem to have abandoned updates for the older models, LTE version is still on 5.1.1.

I'm about to sell it, so not used it for a while but I'm a little surprised they haven't updated them all.

Soldato
Sent mine back today along with the controller for a full refund. Trouble is I haven't a clue what to do next for a tablet aside from waiting to see what 2016 holds. I'm already having withdrawal symptoms from being without a tablet!

iOS is out of the question period. All I want is something that has SD Card capabilities, a half decent battery that doesn't take 7hrs to charge, a 8 or 10" screen and 2GB+ ram. I took a look at the Samsung S2 I believe but that has poor battery life from the reviews I read. There isn't really much out there.

We've got top end phones all over the place thanks to powerful SoC's so I find it hard to believe manufacturers cannot get a simple formula right. Nvidia have a great idea going here and their gaming hub is absolutely superb as are their tweaks to a mostly stock OS. They just need to get their act together on the software end of things and they're already focusing their efforts on the X1 tablet it seems.

Associate
Had mine for a week now and was pretty unimpressed with the battery. Using my S6 fast charger, I left it on charge and switched off overnight. Powered it up in the morning and it was only on 56%!

Also had the Misc battery issue which was frustrating. However I turned off Prism and developer mode and it seems Misc has dropped right off and the battery seems a little better.

I've also ordered a Qualcomm 3.0 charger and Anker cable which I've read works well on the K1. Hopefully then I'll get these 2-3 hour charging times that other people get.

Failing that I'll sell it and get a Samsung S2 instead.

Associate
After the 1.1 update, I cleared the cache from the recovery menu. Not seen the Misc battery drain since. I turn off WiFi when not in use and am noticing only a few percent drop when turned back on.

I am seeing 4 hours SOT with brightness at 75%

Soldato
Had mine for a week now and was pretty unimpressed with the battery. Using my S6 fast charger, I left it on charge and switched off overnight. Powered it up in the morning and it was only on 56%!

Also had the Misc battery issue which was frustrating. However I turned off Prism and developer mode and it seems Misc has dropped right off and the battery seems a little better.

I've also ordered a Qualcomm 3.0 charger and Anker cable which I've read works well on the K1. Hopefully then I'll get these 2-3 hour charging times that other people get.

Failing that I'll sell it and get a Samsung S2 instead.
Sounds like you had the exact issue I had, that I described somewhere on this thread. I ended up returning mine after a week because charging it was taking absolutely ages on the stock 5.1.1 OS.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-s-8-4-review

Instead I went for a Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 and haven't looked back. With the stock OS it was smooth and battery life was superb. I have since rooted it and plonked on Cyanogen and haven't looked back. The screen is mind blowingly good as is battery life. GPU is nothing special though so I wouldn't recommend it for intensive games due to the SoC's age.

Associate
Well the Anker plug and charger work great! 2 hours to fully charge so very pleased with that.

Might still keep an eye out for a cheap Galaxy Tab S 10.5 or S2 9.7 though as I think I'd prefer a larger screen.

Associate
Mine seems very picky about what charger i use. Probably got 6-7 charges in the house with varying charge rates. But the only one that doesn't give me any issues is the HTC charger that came with my wifes Nexus 9.

The screen goes unresponsive and i get static when headphones are also plugged in with all the other charges. Which is really poor.

Battery life is probably average at best, i mainly us mine in bed so brightness is set to minimum. i'd say i can get around 6 hours. Watching videos on the train from off the internal storage without wifi on and brightness at around 50-75% will get a similar time too, turning wifi on and looking at closer to 4-5 hours of variable usage.

Overall for £150, i'm happy with it and can work around the small issues. But i'd rather have paid say £200 and got the same device with better battery life and better quality control (charging issues sorted).

Given the options again, i'd still go with this over the more expensive Samsung, the extra £100-150 wouldn't give me enough to justify the extra cost, and i like the being able to use it in console mode with the hdmi out, and the addition of the gaming pad is pretty cool when travelling

Associate
1.2 update is out
• Supports the new Vulkan™ API for high-efficiency access to SHIELD’s graphics hardware
• Adds Android 6.0.1 changes including:
Repositioned Navigation Buttons in Landscape mode & Updated Emojis
Double Tap Power Button to launch SHIELD Camera app
Do Not Disturb Until Next Alarm

• Support for Android Doze mode & additional power optimizations
• Adds USB MIDI support
• Adds memory compression enhancement
• Improved Wi-Fi connectivity when waking from sleep
• Fixed Compass functionality
• Fixed Gamepad Mapper issues
• Fixed issues with moving apps to SD card
• Fixed Doom 3 HDMI output issue