BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Soldato
I've copied this from what a user "Falkentyne" suggested and its always worked for me when I had some firmware or 144hz related issue:

there is a firmware bug on XL2730Z which requires a factory reset sometimes. you can enter the factory service menu by power off, hold down OSD buttons 3 and 4 for five seconds while powering on, release them, then enter the factory menu and choose CLEAR USER on XL2730Z.

Once you choose clear user, unplug the monitor from the wall for 30 seconds (FROM THE WALL, not the power button!!!) then wait.
You do this method if the "reset all" option in the regular OSD menu does not work for you.

I've done this 3 times or more when I've had problems (unexpected power loss, corruption etc) ... and it has fixed my problems!

good luck malachi!

Thanks, I give that a try.

Has anyone received one of these brand new and the box has been opened and resealed with BenQ branded tape?

I hope they haven't sent me a refurb, I haven't opened it yet as I'm at work but its clearly been opened previously and resealed

Did it come from Amazon by any chance?

Soldato
Its definitely not used, looks brand new. Best guess is its old stock which was opened to update the firmware as its BenQ factory tape

Very pleased with it so far, very well built and no issues after a 2 hour BF4 session, amazed at how my GPU is pushing more pixels but FreeSync makes it feel just as smooth

Soldato
Still not joy :( Monitor still giving me the same issues. Ive left a support ticket with Benq on Thursday but no reply from them yet.

What is the support like from Benq if I need to send the monitor away?

Associate
Finally got my screen back from repair a 3rd time, so far so good.
RMA opened on the 08/02/2016
Received monitor 3rd time - 15/04/2016

Firmware has been upgraded this time and all stats are now at 0 minutes so this is a good sign.

Really disappointed overall I received little to no communication from Benq with the final repair which took over 2 weeks from pickup to delivery.

Associate
Still not joy :( Monitor still giving me the same issues. Ive left a support ticket with Benq on Thursday but no reply from them yet.

What is the support like from Benq if I need to send the monitor away?

They will send a courier (DPD for me everytime) with a replacement refurbished monitor and make a straight swap.

I didn't want a refurb so requested a repair which is why mine took so long. They did send me a refurbished model as it look so long to repair but it was damaged so had mine repaired.

Associate
Question to all you BenQ XL2730Z owners out there - if you were given the money again, would you re-buy this monitor or something else?

I'm currently in a situation whereby my BenQ XL2730Z (which I really liked) was damaged in transit during a visit to the Insomnia i57 LAN event and my home insurance has paid out for its replacement in cold hard cash.

Thing is though, the following irked me slightly:

- The bottom of the screen looked more washed out than the top. I know that TN panels will show some gamma variation between the top and bottom of the screen, however, I found it made the taskbar in Windows desktop look a bit 'meh' and the icons looked pale and not very nice - I'm not sure if that was just me (my unit did used to have a fair amount of backlight bleed on the bottom edge) or does yours look like that too?

- I was convinced that I could 'feel' higher input lag with 144hz/freesync enabled when the framerate dropped to 60fps (and therefore 60hz). In the review on TFTcentral here - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2730z.htm - it shows that a 'fixed' 60hz refresh does indeed have a much higher input lag but I don't know whether this applies to 144hz/freesync when your framerate drops to 60fps/hz?

I have also been mulling over various freesync / g-sync 27", 144hz, 1440p, IPS options as well. I already had the Asus MG279Q previously and returned it because I hated the input lag / 90hz limitation with freesync on + backlight bleed in the lower-right corner. I also felt that the difference in response time between the Asus MG279Q and the BenQ XL2730Z was 'significant' and made the use of a 27" monitor for me 'viable'.

Welcome your thoughts and views....

Soldato
They will send a courier (DPD for me everytime) with a replacement refurbished monitor and make a straight swap.

I didn't want a refurb so requested a repair which is why mine took so long. They did send me a refurbished model as it look so long to repair but it was damaged so had mine repaired.

Thanks, had to chase them up once for a reply. Will need to do it again now, 5 days since my phone call and no response :( Benq CS is shocking.

Question to all you BenQ XL2730Z owners out there - if you were given the money again, would you re-buy this monitor or something else?

I'm currently in a situation whereby my BenQ XL2730Z (which I really liked) was damaged in transit during a visit to the Insomnia i57 LAN event and my home insurance has paid out for its replacement in cold hard cash.

- The bottom of the screen looked more washed out than the top. I know that TN panels will show some gamma variation between the top and bottom of the screen, however, I found it made the taskbar in Windows desktop look a bit 'meh' and the icons looked pale and not very nice - I'm not sure if that was just me (my unit did used to have a fair amount of backlight bleed on the bottom edge) or does yours look like that too?

- I was convinced that I could 'feel' higher input lag with 144hz/freesync enabled when the framerate dropped to 60fps (and therefore 60hz). In the review on TFTcentral here - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2730z.htm - it shows that a 'fixed' 60hz refresh does indeed have a much higher input lag but I don't know whether this applies to 144hz/freesync when your framerate drops to 60fps/hz?

I have also been mulling over various freesync / g-sync 27", 144hz, 1440p, IPS options as well. I already had the Asus MG279Q previously and returned it because I hated the input lag / 90hz limitation with freesync on + backlight bleed in the lower-right corner. I also felt that the difference in response time between the Asus MG279Q and the BenQ XL2730Z was 'significant' and made the use of a 27" monitor for me 'viable'.

Yes but not at the £419 I paid for it.

Associate
I'm going to have to RMA this monitor. The desktop flickering is even worse now and sometimes the screen goes black, which didn't happen before.

I've tried a new Displayport 1.2 cable too.

It doesn't occur at all in 60HZ mode (only in 100, 120 and 144 HZ modes).

I bought this in November last year from Overclockers, any idea how I should start the RMA process?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to have to RMA this monitor. The desktop flickering is even worse now and sometimes the screen goes black, which didn't happen before.

I've tried a new Displayport 1.2 cable too.

It doesn't occur at all in 60HZ mode (only in 100, 120 and 144 HZ modes).

I bought this in November last year from Overclockers, any idea how I should start the RMA process?

Same happened to me. I sent the monitor back for repair, got a refub one and works like a dream.

Soldato

I love my 2730z, though if I were completely refunded today I'd spend the extra for a Gsync 1440P/144Hz monitor, simply because AMD have no high performance GPU's available. I'm currently using a 1070 and whilst I lost freesync, I can't really notice the difference as my 1070 runs all the games I play at very high FPS, where freesync/gsync is less noticeable.

I also bought a Gsync 980M Skylake laptop, over a year ago, which comes with Gsync. I far prefer gsync simply because it works in windowed, windowed fullscreen modes etc, while freesync ONLY works in fullscreen.

Man of Honour

I love the monitor, it was a big upgrade for me. I do really like freesync and the picture quality is spot on.

If I was to buy now? I would probably spend a little more on an ultra wide, possible curved screen.

Associate

I've recently had an RMA return and it's now perfect (fingers crossed it lasts that way).

My current problem is that my 290X is on its last legs (I just can't get it to not overheat, no matter how many times I re-apply the paste etc).

I want to replace the graphics card, for something that is quieter and still powerful, and ideally faster, but there's not a lot of options.

One option is the R9 Fury but it is only 4Gb which does concern me long term for 1440P.

I think a more sane option is to just for a 390 to tie me over to the Vega which now looks around a year way (possibly less).

Overall, I'm a little disappointed with AMD not to have released a more powerful card next to the 480. Maybe I should buy a 480 but I was hoping to spend under £200 for an 8GB card with an aftermarket cooler, if it's just a card to last around a year.

If I knew this was going to happen, I would have considered spending more and going the Gsync route.

Soldato
The monitor started playing again :(

The initial monitor bought, started showing blurry fonts, then next day, it was flickering like mad. That was 8 months after purchasing it.
Benq sent a refurbished replacement.

Tonight (9 months later) and as I was playing WOT, fonts became blurry, and screen looks like overscan was activated.

Tried the HDMI connectors, and is even worst. (I am using DP1.2a certified cable)

Just in case removed NV drivers, DDU, and installed older drivers. Nothing same issue.
Is annoying because while gaming the screen is blurry, and while on windows the fonts at 100% are darker and not clear-sharp enough.
It feels like overscan is on.

Tried the second installation of windows I have and haven't booted on it months, same issue.

I would appreciate any assistance to try fix the monitor. I do not have replacement, and been without computer for couple of weeks, going to be a nightmare at best.

While I do not want to buy a monitor atm, because I was planning to buy a Vive :(

Any ideas welcomed :)

Associate
The monitor started playing again :(

The initial monitor bought, started showing blurry fonts, then next day, it was flickering like mad. That was 8 months after purchasing it.
Benq sent a refurbished replacement.

Tonight (9 months later) and as I was playing WOT, fonts became blurry, and screen looks like overscan was activated.

Tried the HDMI connectors, and is even worst. (I am using DP1.2a certified cable)

Just in case removed NV drivers, DDU, and installed older drivers. Nothing same issue.
Is annoying because while gaming the screen is blurry, and while on windows the fonts at 100% are darker and not clear-sharp enough.
It feels like overscan is on.

Tried the second installation of windows I have and haven't booted on it months, same issue.

I would appreciate any assistance to try fix the monitor. I do not have replacement, and been without computer for couple of weeks, going to be a nightmare at best.

While I do not want to buy a monitor atm, because I was planning to buy a Vive :(

Any ideas welcomed :)

try the factory reset method ...

screen off .. hold button 3 + 4 for 5 seconds (from top to bottom) on the screen while powering on try either the menu key on the monitor or the red button on the extender thing,

go via "CLEAR USER" and press enter/menu on it then power off screen and remove the power cable from the back of the monitor for over 30 seconds .... then try the screen again.

I always need to use this method if the power goes off while the screen was either on or in stand-by mode.

Soldato
The refub monitor received back in January, doesn't open the factory mode with any key combination. Tried it.
Bought a cheap LG 25" 2560x1080 to keep as second monitor and going to send he 2730z back for repairs or replacemen

Back
Top Bottom