What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
In the box room:

Filled a few gaps around my sockets.
Painted 2x coats of plaster paint onto my fresh plaster.
Painted 2x coats of top coat.
Painted 2x coats of ceiling paint.
Installed new light fixture.
Cut and installed new 169mm torus skirting.
Cut and installed new torus architrave.

I soon realised my little mitre saw box wasn't going to be up to the job. So off to Screwfix to treat myself to a new toy - and at £100, this mitre saw is a bargain. It does cross cuts, slides and has a laser guide. It got the job done in no time :)

WzOoQ4OH

fGVjcePC

5cuoGas8

N3Ywz3hC

Tomorrow I'll be sanding down filler, caulking a few spots, sanding and then painting up the skirting. All ready for new carpets that come in a few weeks.

I think I better update my personal home improvement thread!

Last edited:
Soldato
I love my miter saw, bought it from the evolution eBay shop b grade for £45 delivered! Only thing wrong was the box was slightly water damaged!!!!!

Soldato
tidying up and cleaning up the garden - cutting back some of the rambling roses that are pushing other plants forward. Planted out the sunflowers - although it looks like a 0degC night tonight.. I may have to move them or they'll not survive..

Soldato
Went in for the first coats of wood paint on the skirting boards.

A few lessons learnt with skirting:
Don't fanny around too much with the mitre joins and filling them. Simply sand them to get closest fit, then plug with quality decorators caulk. I tried using fine filler and then sand them but that ended up more mess and effort to clean up. They're still not perfect and have a more fudged edge to them. Caulk will be used one from now on, it's flexible so won't crack, it dries quick, you can thumb it into the shape you want, and you can paint it in no time.

Secondly, don't buy diy paints! I've bought the usual b&q or wilko cheap stuff and then the dulux diy stuff. It's all crap! Trade paint only, the dulux trade egg shell wood paint is brilliant. I'm really happy with the finish and it was excellent to work with. Cheap paint never again.

Soldato
Put up my new shed

DSC_0452_zpsygy9grjn.jpg

Also put together the new lounge set for the patio (no pictures).

Next up is to reseed the lawn in the bare patches (straightened borders and removed stepping stones), finish the deweeding, organise the plants in the beds and stick stone mulch down.

Soldato
Two years ago I removed my 100% moss lawn and planted grass seed : https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26207625&postcount=41
It was going well until last Autumn the moss all came back. So today I did it all again.

25742945474_d76ea2c6f5_c.jpg

The difference this time is we've had most of the back trees removed which means the sun can actually get onto our garden. I've also used grass seed which likes shade in the appropriate areas.

26074937030_d387a183fb_c.jpg

Also, I spent some time jet washing the patio and steps.

26074936890_7dcd2bdf88_c.jpg

26074936220_46b8af5d5b_c.jpg

Soldato
Mowed the lawn.. prepared what's needed to pain the fence and paint the concrete telescope pier (weather needs to be better for both). Made a simple top to protect the BBQ outside from rain. Cut down some of the larger plants yesterday. Continued the tidying of the garage..

Soldato
Skirting boards and architraves have had their final coats. That's it, all done before carpet is fitted, then all I have to do is fit the door and furnish in there. I think a couple of nice oak shelves won't go a miss.

CMlfnIE7

M2XcJZ1V

fprcJ5pB

I picked up 3 of these doors second hand for £100! They came with handles and hinges already fitted (local builder had 'reclaimed' them. These will be going through upstairs and this one is what I put on the bathroom today. Unfortunately they're all a little short, but I'm sure it won't take much to add a few strips of wood in the jams to close those gaps. They need treating too, they're that new.

hYH99EAp

Only another two bedrooms to decorate/skirt/architrave before more carpets next month. *SIGH!*

Last edited:
Associate
Repaired the delaminated floor in my caravan, meaning that its now solid as a rock and ready for 6-7 months of annoying other road users :D

What was purported to to be a half day job turned into a 1.5 day job and was very messy indeed, however now that it is done i feel a massive sense of satisfaction.

Next job on the list is to fit a new carpet :eek:

Soldato
Had a fairly busy weekend, Saturday I lifted a small area of my lawn, which has sunk rather since I removed a concrete path, and added soil to raise it about 5 inches to get it more level. Still al lot more to do but I'm in need of more soil.

Yesterday I gave the bbq a bit of a scrub and had my first BBQ of the year. I also went to the tip to get rid of an old compost bin and a waste pipe. Then set about washing and polishing the car and mowed the lawn.

Oh and I spent a while digging about trying to find the location of the washing line hole...

Back
Top Bottom