HTC Vive

Soldato
How is everyone finding the comfort of the Vive. Many reviews seem to be slating it for comfort compared to the Rift.
Bearing in mind I've spent less than an hour with the thing on my head. As a glasses wearer I am finding it awkward to put on and take off and things do appear a little out of focus if you're not directly looking at things. It's a proper sweat box even after just 60 minutes. I suspect I'm being a little unfair though as I've not really adjusted much outside of the box

But... Tilt brush is amazing. There is something quite astonishing walking in and around a box you've drawn in VR.

Soldato
What's your favourite VR game so far? Mines got to be Audioshield or The Lab. The Gallery seems overrated so far! Managed to play some Hover Junkers without wanting to puke... Good game but it makes me dizzy:(

The Lab and Audioshield are both fantastic, as well as Budget Cuts, that even though is only a demo, is massive fun.

Job Simulator is fun too, but not quite sure it carries the price tag it does and I'm glad it came free with the Vive.

Space Pirate Trainer is also good fun, good work out too, and quite immersive in a limited space.

Apollo 11 is also really interesting, and is the only one I really notice the lack of resolution at the moment as I want to get in as close as possible to all the panels and see what they say and do. It is awe inspiring though, and look forward to any future expansions they may do.

theBlu is good, nice and immersive, will be interesting to see if the expand on it at all besides the 3 scenes already included.

HoverJunkers, I just kept getting owned lol. But it was good non the less. I think if I had more time I'd enjoy it more.

Fantastic Contraption is also pretty good, but not spent a lot of time in it yet. Same with Tilt Brush.

I've not tried it with Elite, or any other simulation game yet, and not sure when I will get the chance, but I am looking forward to them, although I think I will have the same thoughts when playing them as I do in Apollo 11.

Soldato
How is everyone finding the comfort of the Vive. Many reviews seem to be slating it for comfort compared to the Rift.

Definitely need to take your time adjusting the headstraps, and by design, it's always going to be less comfortably than the Rift.

The people "slating" it though probably have just thrown it on their heads and not spent much time actually sorting it out properly.

I've had mine since Wednesday and I'm still fiddling with it occasionally to try and make it a bit more perfect, but can easily wear it for over an hour.

Soldato

Not got my Rift yet to compare it to, but I've not found it too bad. But I am more than used to having some heavy gear on my head/face from wearing motorbike helmets, and helmets and gas masks in the military, so in comparison, I find it fine, as I know it needs to be adjusted to me comfortable.

Associate
Seems a though a bulk of shipping e-mails have gone out to the mainland. No reports of the UK getting any though.

Nope, no UK units shipped again by the looks of it. Barely any gone out since last Wednesday by all accounts. Starting to look like their out of stock already.

Associate
I am going to buy the Vive shortly. The only issue I have is that the room my PC is in is very small (2.8m x 2m with a sofa in there!). In order to maximise the experience I would need to use this in the living room downstairs. Is there a way of doing this? My house is fully cabled in CAT6.

Also I was on their website just now about to click the buy button, it says 'in stock' but it also says pre orders will be delivered from June. I don't believe in pre ordering anything so should I just wait until June or is there actually stock? Looking at the above posts it appears there might be an issue?

Soldato
A quick reply on the room size. I'm currently pushing 2.5 x 2.1 metres in my home office where I currently have the Vive set-up and I’m probably losing on the full room-scale experience. It’s only a few steps in any direction and the chaperone system wakes up and breaks the immersion. I may move it out to another room, we’ll see.

Don
Well, tried mine today. I'm quite impressed. Not blown away but impressed. The room-scale stuff is fun but I find the wires stuck out of my head distracting. Also, it's heavy. It feels much heavier than the DK2 to me or it could be the way it's resting on my face.
The headphones were a surprise. They are actually rather good with good dynamic range and good bass.

Played the usual stuff and had a play around with some 2D games on Virtual Desktop. VD has some limitations which are a bit irritating such as being forced to use your desktop as it actually is set up on your desk. For me, this means a 4k central screen. If I set VD to have it close enough to me that I can actually read the text with the Vive's limited resolution then the thing is so big that it's unusable - requiring head movements of nearly 180 degrees to see everything. This means I have to set my desktop down to a sensible resolution such as 1920x1080 before launching it. This of course messes up the icon placement on my two side screens. Played a bit of World of Warcraft like that though. It ran fine.

For me, I think the Rift (when it turns up) is going to be the one that I end up keeping. The room-scale stuff has limited appeal beyond impressing mates etc and so I will probably mainly use it as a seated device. For this, it's rather cumbersome and large even compared to the DK2. I will be able to give a better view once the Rift turns up at my house in a couple of days though.

I am going to buy the Vive shortly. The only issue I have is that the room my PC is in is very small (2.8m x 2m with a sofa in there!). In order to maximise the experience I would need to use this in the living room downstairs. Is there a way of doing this? My house is fully cabled in CAT6.

Also I was on their website just now about to click the buy button, it says 'in stock' but it also says pre orders will be delivered from June. I don't believe in pre ordering anything so should I just wait until June or is there actually stock? Looking at the above posts it appears there might be an issue?

If you order today you will get it in June.
Short of moving your PC to the room in which you want to play, there's not really any option. I guess you could experiment with an HDMI and USB booster box but no idea what sort of latency that would add.

Soldato
Has anyone got ED working? I have no idea how I get the game to detect the HMD. If I launch Steam VR and then ED I can see an HMD option buts its greyed (red) out. If I exit Steam VR it does not even show up in the Graphics option menu.

Soldato
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4e925m/ive_been_wearing_the_headset_wrong_and_i_think_a/

I'm going to follow these tips to hopefully get my comfortable when it gets here...

I've been adjusting again this evening :o

I can say that you definitely don't want the headset too tight in terms of the foam around the lenses pushing into your face. It essentially needs to rest as little as possible without letting any light in, and all the weight should be on the top strap with the back of it virtually at the base of your skull.

Also, until I get my Kickstarter VR Lenses, I'm going without glasses purely for the extra comfort even if it is slightly blurrier.

Associate

This is what annoyed me initially as they say "In Stock" but they clearly don't have in stock or they would be getting sent out to anyone who orders. I believe they are still trying to fulfil pre-orders that went out a while ago.

Associate
HTC have just updated their blog with wording that is highly indicative that they have no stock at all and perhaps explains why pre-orders are now being sent out in dribs and drabs:

What do I do if my order has been delayed?

Vive order fulfillment is on track without delays, so you don’t need to do a thing. Pre-orders began shipping on April 5th, as originally communicated. You can check your order confirmation email to find out when your order will be shipped. We are making weekly global shipments and every Vive is being sent out from our regional distribution centers immediately upon receipt.

Soldato
I've been adjusting again this evening :o

I can say that you definitely don't want the headset too tight in terms of the foam around the lenses pushing into your face. It essentially needs to rest as little as possible without letting any light in, and all the weight should be on the top strap with the back of it virtually at the base of your skull.

Also, until I get my Kickstarter VR Lenses, I'm going without glasses purely for the extra comfort even if it is slightly blurrier.

Back
Top Bottom