Ever considered just packing up and moving elsewhere?

Commissario
Doing my best mate but tbh with you, I'm not a fan of England and don't want an office job again.

I'm definitely in a much better place mentally.

If you can find the funds to live for 2 months at least then I would say go for it as you're young. Providing you have somewhere to fall back to should it all fail!

Associate
Stupid or worth the risk?

I did it in 2009 at the age of 25. Best decision I ever made was to choose the road less travelled. I quit my job in the City (London) and went to 'start my life'. Moved to a new city, new country, no family, no friends and no job to go to. It worked out just fine for me, I'm sure it'll work out fine for you too.

What's the worst that can happen? You miss out on a few years of drudgery and rat race? Go forth, be bold.

Soldato
i moved to holland in 2012 with no job lined up, but had loads of savings and a place to live. it was damn tough, especially with knowing very little dutch, but managed to get a couple of **** jobs. wouldn't recommend it with money/place to stay, let alone a hattrick of things lacking.

Soldato
I packed up and moved to Munich for 5 years, without knowing a word of German. It was a great time of my life, but I had a job to go to so there were no worries in that regard.

It actually ended up making me appreciate things about the UK I had previously taken for granted and after 5 years I decided to look for a new job and move back.

If you are confident you have some kind of safety net in case it all goes wrong then why not give it a go. As mentioned though it's very different from going somewhere on holiday though.

Oh, some other advice - don't necessarily believe the opinion of other ex-pats, moving abroad is a big life decision that some will say anything to justify their decision (think rabid parents or Mac owners ;)).

Caporegime
Why not move to the Arctic Circle ?

Dunno about Berlin. i spent 5 days there. Thought the centre was pretty nice but everything else was a sprawling dump much like any major city.
Why not though? You might get lucky? If you fail get a flight back, You got family in the UK that you can use as a doss house/fall back if it all goes wrong? You should probably consider doing it all before the Uk might leave the EU. Lower your standards massively and you should be fine.
I moved to Sweden and currently im working in a Hospital Kitchen, I'm learning a ton more Swedish than i did in school the pay is more than enough to have a life with. When i'm more confident with the language ill try and get back into something i'm more accustomed to. Right now though i'm enjoying the lack of serious responsibility and just enjoying it for what it is.

Soldato
If I lived in the USA I would currently be quite happy to trade in my life for an Airstream and an SUV to pull it and spend the rest of my active life as a Road Hobo! :p

Sadly, the UK is too small and Europe too crowded for what I am looking for so I guess I will just stay put! :(

Soldato
OP
RE: lack of money, can't you sell that "drive" jacket? That must be worth eleventy zillion pounds by now. :p

Ha - think that is has lost money :D

Why not move to the Arctic Circle ?

Dunno about Berlin. i spent 5 days there. Thought the centre was pretty nice but everything else was a sprawling dump much like any major city.
Why not though? You might get lucky? If you fail get a flight back, You got family in the UK that you can use as a doss house/fall back if it all goes wrong? You should probably consider doing it all before the Uk might leave the EU. Lower your standards massively and you should be fine.
I moved to Sweden and currently im working in a Hospital Kitchen, I'm learning a ton more Swedish than i did in school the pay is more than enough to have a life with. When i'm more confident with the language ill try and get back into something i'm more accustomed to. Right now though i'm enjoying the lack of serious responsibility and just enjoying it for what it is.

This is exactly why I want to move. If i get a job in London, the travel and living expenses are so not worth it! Can't be cheap in Sweden though

With regards to Berlin itself, I've been before and I love it.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's actually not a bad idea. If you feel you need a fresh start and have nothing to leave behind in the uk it will not do and harm to try. It's also one of the nicest places to live in Europe.

Re your health issues you need to see a gp and be open minded when he suggests something that you may not really want to hear.

Soldato
Meh, everything is worth a try once, even banging the girl who looks a bit like a man. You never know.... you might enjoy it. Go for it trooper.

But being serious, yes all the time. I have nothing tying me down at all...

The old saying you only regret the shots you don't take really is true. So why not give it a go? you could also just apply for jobs on line and see what turns up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just do it!

I was 20 when I moved abroad with £70 in my pocket and open ticket in case it didn't work out. :)

Edit: It did work out, so far anyway, I now have a good career and own property both abroad and here.

Last edited:
Associate
If you set a deadline to find a job and can support yourself for that time, why not?

I didn't do the setting a deadline bit, so ended up on a 9 month holiday when I first moved here :p Moved to Taiwan in 2012, no job lined up, very little money, and just had two friends here who I met briefly in Thailand in 2006. Got very lucky with a seemingly endless stream of local expats willing to let me stay with them for a month or two for free. Took my (then) girlfriend back to the UK for a visit, and lined up a job before I came back.

I quit that job after two days and was back to square one, but worked out in the end. I know I got very lucky, but have no regrets about moving here :)

Soldato
One of my biggest regrets is tying myself down to a job in the UK for many years. If I was young, and had no responsibilities, I would be gone in a heartbeat.
Just keep enough in the bank for a ticket back if it doesn't work out.

Caporegime
Do it. You regret more that which you do not do than which you do do. It'll be an experience you'll remember and so forth.

Plus you may as well take advantage of the enormous freedom being in the EU gives you while we're still a member ;)

Soldato
Sounds dreamy, risky, and a nightmare all in one!

I'd love to go, fresh start and all that but also wouldn't as things change when you're gone and days don't suck forever ~ your situation is hit or miss, could get there be stranded and that's that, or you could end up finding what you're looking for.

I'm no help, I just wanted to be part of this thread! Good read.

Back
Top Bottom