New build - Video Editing machine

Associate
Hey Guys,

Please could I get some specs and ideas for a new build fit for video editing using mainly Adobe premier pro CC.

Things to note:

*Needs to have a 500GB+ SSD (preferably M.2)
*Needs a 2TB HDD
*Needs to be housed in something that will fit into a design studio (Apple Mac based) office
*Needs to include a copy of Win 10 pro.

It needs to be quick, powerful and support 2 super high res screens.

We already have some nice Dell monitors, so don't include.

The alternative was getting a new Mac Pro but the price is putting me off.

Rough budget of £1k

Cheers,
Schoieuk

Soldato
The most important details are CPU and GPU requirements. You should know from what your other machines are doing what the relative importance of these are, and if you need any specific tech (OpenCL/CUDA and consumer/pro cards are the most important things on the GPU side). For example, you might need beastly CPUs and bog-standard graphics, or you might need a mix of the two. Likewise there's no point buying a CUDA card if your software only supports OpenCL, and vice versa.

P.S. The starting Mac Pro is £2500 so I'm not sure why you mentioned it if the budget is £1000. The GPU alone (FirePro W7000 equivalent) is £550.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well thats why I came onto hear to get an idea of what the GPU and CPU requirements might be. This is something new to me and I have no idea what is needed. We don't have any high end video editing machines.

Last edited:
Soldato
OK, will be a gamble then on the CPU/GPU side. Premiere Pro system requirements list most consumer and pro opencl and cuda GPUs up to (but not including) Maxwell and the AMD 3xx range, but hopefully that's just out of date...

A bit over but to get the ball rolling... 32 G RAM, a 6-core CPU, a 370 for OpenCL GPU acceleration, and the stuff you mentioned. Add your own case choice and appropriate cooler.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,050.56
(includes shipping: £11.70)

It's all a bit "gamer-y" (SLI, overclocking, red and black colour schemes) but ocuk don't do much serious work type stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom