Unmanned drones, the future of warfare.

Caporegime
I imagine any usage by the police will likely be complacency at its best, wouldn't take much to jam the signal and get away with anything you wanted.

By that i mean, budgets decreasing in general and focus on drone usage.

Soldato
Drones are awesome while the other guys don't have any, lowers our troop casualties and makes more precise bombing easier. Once they have them too (assuming they're any good) then it'll be back to square one.

Caporegime
What's stopping countries having plain anonymous drones flying at city level in other countries, spying, logging and you couldn't rule out remote assassinations that couldn't be traced.

we're doing hundreds of these missions a year, its fairly obvious and easy to trace when a freaking helfire levels a house

Soldato
Human beings doing what human beings do best.

Finding more inventive ways to kill each other. Seriously just quit already, this **** is old. (Obviously drones have a legitimate use though, especially search and rescue etc).

Associate
It depends on what they use the drones for, will war still have the same consequences or impact if all that is being lost in battles is machinery?

Soldato
It depends on what they use the drones for, will war still have the same consequences or impact if all that is being lost in battles is machinery?

And the other side isn't human? This is the problem with the world - they seem to forget that war is human against human at the end of the day.

Drones for whatever purpose other than warfare - I'm all for.

For warfare - its disgusting - death without trial is the first thing that springs to mind - very 'democratic' of us.

Soldato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM6E3f2lT14&nohtml5=False

This is a small system that spots and kills mosquitos with a laser whilst they're in flight from across the stage (can do further). Happens quicker than a human being can think. This is from six years ago.

I don't think people have really understood what automated targetting can do, yet. Assassination by drones in warfare (or peace) is a viable weapon.

The use of drones removes one of the key things that prevent a country waging war on another - the sight of body bags being brought home. Imagine a USA that could invade Iraq with one tenth the casualties. What would persuade them not to invade somewhere then?

Anyone who thinks such systems would not be deployed by a government against its own population needs to open a history book. They can and will. They have another great advantage over human beings - they can be deployed against anyone without conscience or risk of mutiny. If the US army is deployed against the US population, or the UK army against the British, they would have severe morale and desertion issues in those forces. But finding enough people to control drones is easy.

The human race is currently creating its own killer robots. This is fact.

Associate
And the other side isn't human? This is the problem with the world - they seem to forget that war is human against human at the end of the day.

Drones for whatever purpose other than warfare - I'm all for.

For warfare - its disgusting - death without trial is the first thing that springs to mind - very 'democratic' of us.

I am all for unmanned vehicles taking on roles within the armed forces and they do, mine clearance, troop support, surveillance, bomb disposal to name a few. But once we get to the point of EDI from steal (for example) without the AI having morals the world would have a big problem.

Morality in AI takes us to a whole new conversation about whether an AI could be classified as living, would it fall under human rights laws?

Associate
Is it any wonder that both civil and military are very keen on research to both detect and disable small drones? Some of the military ones are quite small and civil enforcement has to deal with the problem of people who like to fly them in the approach/departure lanes of major airports.

Even a small mainly plastic toy can be detected on radar if you do it right. Then you can jam, shoot or hack them.

Caporegime
It's not just drone aircraft that are being developed. DARPA are currently testing a 130ft anti-sub drone ship. I believe the US Navy has done some experiments with smaller swarm boats as well. It's really disappointing for me that the UK hasn't really embraced the drone era as well as we might, anyone remember that idea to convert our fleet of Tornados to UAVs? For an island nation I would have thought we'd want to be a leader in drone ship innovation.

RDM

RDM

Soldato

What is the difference between a drone dropping a missile and a manned aircraft? The target is still just as dead.

Back
Top Bottom