Water cooled heatpipe CPU cooler

Associate
OP
I hope it turns out to be an idea worth ripping off as I haven't had it tested yet. It's not really the first of it's kind. The other example I found was the thermaltake rx2 ufo. I didn't think it was good enough so I built my own take on the idea.

Caporegime
I don't really get it but it's a fantastic project beyond anything I could do.

Heat pipes allow you to attach a huge surface area of metal fins fuether from the CPU than solid metal coolers.

Water cooling doesn't need to have that surface area so doesn't need to move heat far from the block as the water will do this. So by directly cooling the pipes you're doing the same job twice (physically moving heat in a medium - which is inefficient). You've also moved the water away from the hottest part of the CPU and added a lot of bulk and potential for leaks.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
On the face of it, it seems reasonable to assume that two heat transfers would be more inefficient than one. That is of course until you take into account what heatpipes really are. A solid state phase change cooling device. Kind of acts like the compressor you have in your fridge but without the moving parts. Now I'm not saying it's going to work better than normal water cooling but I'd be delighted if it did.

Man of Honour
I love to see people trying new things out but what's the actual point in this? You still need a water loop to plumb it into so all you have done is create a huge inefficient block. I doubt if it would come close to the performance of a proper block where the cpu is cooled directly.

Associate
Be very interesting to see the performance numbers on this.

Like others I'm a bit skeptical on if it would perform better than a traditional CPU block, but I think it looks great and must have been a fun project to work on. It's certainly unique.

Associate
OP
You ask what the point of this is Pastymuncher and you say you doubt it would compare to a "proper" water block.
The keyword here is "doubt" and the point of this is to remove this doubt one way or the other.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't have a water cooling set up. I'm in contact with the people I would like to test it for me and hope to hear something soon. If not I'm working on a plan B. not sure what it'll be yet. just some ideas kicking round in my head at the moment.

Soldato
Its a fancy idea but what you've basically done is remove the fan cooling and used water instead to cool the gas in the heatpipes. Not sure whether this will work as it may be too efficient.

Cheapest way to protect the design is make another one, parcel it up and send it via Special Delivery/courier to yourself. Then when it arrives make sure its signed for properly and do not open it. Keep a record of the tracking information with it. Basically its to prove the date/time.

This will give you a kind of protection if it is ever a worthwhile idea to have protected properly by a patent.

Back
Top Bottom