Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
You imply that resin should cost more than plastic which on a raw material cost is probably true but resin mini's are also considerably cheaper to make the masters for as they can be 3d printed or cast/cut from cheaper materials. A single cut master will create lots of silicone molds. A plastic injection process requires a huge investment to create the die as it needs to last.

I also disagree that resin holds detail better than plastic. I have yet to see a single resin hold the fine line detail that plastic can. Sharp edges in resin just don't happen as they soften in the molds. There are also a lot more issues with bent pieces, air bubbles and gap filling that just isn't needed in a well designed plastic model.

As an ex-Tau player I found all their new releases great. They fitted the fluff, following a single design ethos and were great to put together.

Looking at your example of Twisted, their models are £15 each plus shipping. That is a similar price but at a much lower volume of scale and with cheaper manufacturing processes. They have not designed or costed to create those in the thousands and on a continuous basis. I also don't think there is any more detail in those miniatures than a GW one and that is despite them having a larger scale to use. I also guarantee that when that resin model arrives it will need work to make it fit and repair that a plastic model just wouldn't.
Resin holds detail significantly better, this is a fact. Go and check out some Kromlech figures for a good example.

Injection moulding has come on significantly, but the issues are still there due to how they're made. You need a mould that can cleanly split without under cuts. This hurts complex details across multiple planes.

SteamTank02.jpg

tank4__sized.jpg

Can you tell which one is plastic?

Soldato
They aren't mine no. I've got some Kromlech Juggernauts I'm working on slowly.

What makes you think the top one is the plastic one?

Last edited:
Soldato
The top one is pewter and the bottom is plastic. The plastic one is more detailed, HOWEVER it shows how the plastic injection moulding process has its own limitations.

Look at how the windows taper outwards on the bottom one, or how the griffin is shaped. The perspective of the griffon is quite skewed on the plastic one because there can't be any undercuts, and the direction of extrusion has to be inline with the orientation of the mould, so any extruded details unfortunately all have to extrude in the same direction.

Associate
Thanks!

I got hold of three of the Citadel 'Edge' paints, so it was really an experiment to figure out how to paint with them.

I have the Stardrake on order, so I can't wait to get stuck into that!

Soldato
I know someone that works at an indie gaming shop.

As you say fantastic value. :)

They're going to head up my Salamanders army.

ahh an inside job, fair enough :p

If I didn't have a knight I would get this, however having not even built the one I have meant I couldn't really justify this box. Yet.

Looking forward to seeing how yours turn out.

Soldato
I haven't bought anything except lord of the rings and paints from GW for about 3 years and that knight box is incredibly tempting, as are the pictures of the new orcs... Good job I'm poor :p

Associate
I got two of those Renegade boxes and the Knights codex. It's a relatively cheap way to start a Knight army, not to mention that the Renegade Knight rules make it a handy Ally of Convenience for my Necrons :D.

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Hi Guys,

I'm toying with the idea of buying the Dark Vengeance boxed game but don't really want to have to fork out on the GW prices for paints and brushes too, my question is; Is there any good alternatives out there?

Sorry if it's already been answered over and over again...

Back
Top Bottom