Water Filters

daz

daz

Soldato
Looking at getting a water filter added to the water supply of our new house. We live in an area with very hard water - so I am thinking it will not only help our appliances last longer... washing machine, showers, plumbed in fridge, kettle etc but also means the water will taste nicer?

Does anyone have any recommendations on products/suppliers that will do the job?

Man of Honour
Do you mean a water softener system? One of my friends has had it installed and loves it. Though the main tap in the kitchen is not on it as from what I've been told it does increase the sodium content of the water slightly - so drinking supply is better left untouched.

If that's accurate or not I can't say - just repeating what I've been told. I think his was just under £2k fitted.

Soldato
Do you mean a water softener system? One of my friends has had it installed and loves it. Though the main tap in the kitchen is not on it as from what I've been told it does increase the sodium content of the water slightly - so drinking supply is better left untouched.

If that's accurate or not I can't say - just repeating what I've been told. I think his was just under £2k fitted.

sounds about right Freefaller!

Op, if you find your tap water a bit nasty to taste, you could always grab yourself a Brita filter jug. We used to have really hard water and it according to my missus, it tasted foul (whether its related or not I don't know, the water seemed ok to me) but by filtering it with a Brita it meant she'd drink it. Could be a placebo effect but she swore by it. :)

Associate
Yeah we've got a Brita filter jug and it's great for the kettle and stuff like that. My wife also thinks the water tastes better out of it. It does taste different, but I prefer the water from the tap. The water in the just is just missing that certain taste that you only get in a hard water area :D

Soldato
How old is your house? One benefit of hard water, is that if you have an old house with lead pipes, it will coat the inside of the pipe with calcium deposits, and protect you from dissolved lead, which is not good for you.

To save your dishwasher, you can use calgon tablets instead.

Kettle can be cleaned using white vinegar/water mix once a week.

Water softeners do raise the sodium content of your water. Hard water is better for your health.

Shower can be cleaned using Viakal, but it is true that hard water makes cleaning more difficult.

daz

daz

Soldato
OP
Do you mean a water softener system?

That's what I meant!

The house was built some time around the 50s. I don't actually mind the taste of hard water but it's the appliances I'm worrying about. I think we have over 300mg/l calcium carbonate, so it's not like it's "a bit hard"... it really makes cleaning a pain and it doesn't take long at all to coat everything.

Man of Honour
It depends who you speak to, some people claim the salts that get into the water aren't enough to be a problem or change the taste but most installers will leave the kitchen tap un-softened.

We've got one in the new place and its so much nicer to wash in than the unsoftened hard water locally. We then britta the kitchen tap which massively reduces the buildup of rubbish in the kettle and improves the taste.

Soldato
I just have a britta filter tap. Better than the jug as it's always available. But costs more.
Cheaper than a complete water softener system though.

Permabanned
I think we have over 300mg/l calcium carbonate

200mg/l is the limit for most boilers so that's a problem.

You don't have to get anything hugely expensive, you can just get something that doses with polyphosphate, and link the feeds for the boiler and shower.

£46.00
http://www.screwfix.com/p/polyphosphate-combi-care-scale-inhibitor/68371

A whole house water softener using salt is nicer, but starts at £500.

I've tried other people's water filters and I guess it makes the water taste better, but a Brita jug was quicker.

Back
Top Bottom