house survey

Associate
Hi, just seeking a little advice. I'm currently at the mortgage / survey stage and we have had 2 results come back. Do I need to worry about these, do they just flag everything just in case to cover their own backs later on?

I will get the more in depth surveys done but just wondering for now.

The property lies within 75m of an area that could be affected by Ground Stability – Report Recommended – Groundsure Ground stability report at cost of £22.80 Guessing this could be subsidence

The property lies within 5km of an area that could be affected by Energy Exploration– Recommended Report - Groundsure Energy report at a cost of £24.00 guessing this could be fracking or something?

House is 7 years old and shows no signs of subsidence etc.

Soldato
Im guessing its the searches you've had back?
At 7 years old, a home buyers survey is all you really need. They always cover their backs so don't read too much into some issues unless you have reason to (old houses and damp).

Get some quotes for both home buyers and condition surveys. Don't always go with the cheapest.
Your mortgage provider will do a valuation survey. This is very different and will not usually point out issues.

Man of Honour
If you read the energy exploration report the wells were often drilled a long time ago and are now no longer operational but they have to mention it. That said fracking is actively being investigated so worth making sure.

Soldato
My amateur knowledge would be ground stability is more likely to be related to old mining operations. Report says they are 75m away. I would guess it's unlikely they would not have checked out this issue when building a new house. You could perhaps phone the house builders and ask whether they routinely check for this?

I am against fracking because of potential ground water pollution. However, as someone has said this could be old exploration rather than a new fracking issue. Your area looks quite built up so I'm guessing fracking permission would be unlikely that nearby. Local council should have any info on fracking.

Rgds

Soldato
To be honest, if the house was only built 7 years ago, the engineers would have done all the necessary work to be Building Regs and NHBC/similar so would have picked up such issues. Seeing as it has been successfully built, and assuming no problems have been seen, it is safe to assume that the highlighted issues are not a concern.

My flat has an infilled embankment about 25m away btw.

Having said that, £46 for peace of mind could be worth it. In addition, I believe that the Groundsure report, if those issues come back as low risk, will act as insurance should you ever have a problem due to those issues. (If that makes sense)

Caporegime
People read websites like frack-off and get scared because of all the bull they put on there.

It's very, very unlikely you will have a well pad next to your house (if there is already one planned you could just check for planning permission). If they end up physically fracking under your house you're not going to know about it anyway, unless you get inundated with protestors.

If you want to know if there is an old oil well very close you can always go onto UKOGL.org.uk and look for well sites. That website will show you if there are any nearby.

Permabanned
You only have to tell insurance companies about existing problems, it's up to them to know about the surrounding area.
A new house would have been built with knowledge of any immediate ground conditions that could affect the foundations, so I would say there isn't much of an issue here.

Caporegime
Associate
OP
another quick one, the boiler and heating etc has been checked and its working fine but does not meet current standards.

"This may mean that since the date of your installation the standards have changed and therefore your installation no longer meets the current standard required for all new installations. It is currently operating safely and does not present a safety hazard at this time. However, we would recommend that it is upgraded to meet the latest requirements."

is this a concern with it working correctly?

Back
Top Bottom