Channel 4 - What British Muslims Really Think

Soldato
OP
It's not as if ISIS is the only Islamic culture around that are basically backwards. Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, the Taliban in Afghanistan, Egypt, Turkey, Somalia - they all have absolutely massive issues with human rights and the treatment of Women - and I'm not one of these wishy washy Feminists either.

You will be labelled a bigot for criticizing Islamic culture although it is true what you say.

They will be along shortly.

Associate
Sure. How about this vision of beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG8lPK7RQ2w

Dear West indeed. Educated in London. Raised in London. Educated and clothed in London. But apparently the precious little flower feels discriminated against, reviled even, and harrassed - are you sh*tting me? This poem is offensive to the core, painting a picture where, as a woman in a western democracy she feels she's still unequal and oppressed.

I don't understand all this whining and moaning and bellyaching from some people, if the UK is so bad, why not just leave? There's plenty of Islamic countries dotted around the globe so it is very curious to stay in such an awful, oppressive country like the UK when paradise is just a plane ticket away? :confused:

Soldato
Back on topic:

How Trevor Phillips misrepresented ICM’s poll on British Muslims

"Muslims are not like the rest of us" - Lets just think for a minute what the reactions around the UK would be if it was "Christians are not like the rest of us" or how about "Jews are not like the rest of us"? - This whole debacle of a 'documentary' was flawed from the offset with the presenter being so heavily biased to start with.

Peaceful co-existence exists through defending shared human values of equality, not through demonising minorities. Guess Trevor has forgotten what used to be said about the Caribbeans not too long ago.......

Soldato
Yes, British Muslims differ from the norm. So do British Hindus, British Sikhs and British Christians: none of us is perfectly “normal”, since “normal” is an aggregate of all our differences. But they are in a fundamental sense the same as anyone else in this country: deserving of the longest, richest, more free and fulfilled lives possible.
And I can’t think of anything more likely to prevent them living such lives, and to maintaining and reinforcing the lines that divide us, than nonsensical and ill-thought suggestions from people who really should know better that British Muslims are not like “the rest of us”. They’re not the other, alien entities destined to live different lives. This is their country too, and they should be able to enjoy all the freedom and opportunity it offers. They are us.

Interesting article if your actually interested in the topic at hand and not just having a bash at the religion ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...re-different.-No-we-shouldnt-accept-that.html

Soldato
OP
Back on topic:

How Trevor Phillips misrepresented ICM’s poll on British Muslims

"Muslims are not like the rest of us" - Lets just think for a minute what the reactions around the UK would be if it was "Christians are not like the rest of us" or how about "Jews are not like the rest of us"? - This whole debacle of a 'documentary' was flawed from the offset with the presenter being so heavily biased to start with.

Peaceful co-existence exists through defending shared human values of equality, not through demonising minorities. Guess Trevor has forgotten what used to be said about the Caribbeans not too long ago.......

Nothing in that quote above or in the link provided has been said by Trevor Philips, it's just an opposite view of his documentary, it is a false headline really and if that is the best article you can find opposing what he said in the documentary then you are struggling.

Soldato
Thread has survived longer than expected. Well done all. :p

Because we a discussing why so called integrated Muslims are not up in arms about the unintegrated Muslims causing havoc.

No matter what percentage who disagree or agree they are silent as stone, which is a worry and concern to everyone.

Permabanned
"Muslims are not like the rest of us" - Lets just think for a minute what the reactions around the UK would be if it was "Christians are not like the rest of us" or how about "Jews are not like the rest of us"?

I'm sure Jews would be delighted, Gods chosen people and all that,
and I'm pretty sure muslims don't like western culture very much, so why would they want to be part of our over sexualised binge drinking world? It's awful...

This whole debacle of a 'documentary' was flawed from the offset with the presenter being so heavily biased to start with.
It's nice to know that one side isn't being influenced by a medieval belief system though eh? Rationality tends to counteract an irrational bias.

Peaceful co-existence exists through defending shared human values of equality, not through demonising minorities.

If we were equal then religious people would not care so much about converting us into their preferred religion. Conceptually we must therefore be to them, lessor / an infidel.
I'm sure Christian minorities in muslim countries are not demonised at all, and if they are it is just a minority doing it (in every country).

I don't care if you want to be radically different - eat different things, wear different clothes, believe different things, dislike different things or generally intentionally act differently in every single western country.

It just sounds odd when now you claim you are "not different", just because you've suddenly noticed that people that conspicuously behave differently have a harder time.

Caporegime
You mean apart from all the times the muslim council for Britain come out and denounce the acts of violence...

They are only silent to you because you aren't listening

Except they then don't do anything about it. They can't even keep their own house in order. We've recently had yet another case where extremist materials are being openly distributed from a mosque

Soldato
You beat me to it :)

I dont think i have seen to many people blaming "all Muslims" on here, they have been blaming the religion for what we are seeing around the world.

Can you show me a post that shows anyone blaming actual innocent Muslims, from what i have seen it is Islam that people are making their arguments about.

As soon as you label the faith a problem you label all it's followers a problem, you can't say Islam is the problem without implying that it's followers are the problem. This place amazes me sometimes!

Except they then don't do anything about it. They can't even keep their own house in order. We've recently had yet another case where extremist materials are being distributed from a mosque

Which isn't the fault of the Muslim Council of Great Britain, oddly enough they don't control Mosques or individuals!

I don't understand all this whining and moaning and bellyaching from some people, if the UK is so bad, why not just leave? There's plenty of Islamic countries dotted around the globe so it is very curious to stay in such an awful, oppressive country like the UK when paradise is just a plane ticket away? :confused:

Or stay in a country where you are settled and happy and try and change a few things to suit you better? IT's what immigrants have been doing in this country for 100's if not 1000's of years the idea that our culture is set in stone is a nonsense should all the afro Caribbean immigrants gone home in the 50's and 60's when faced with ridiculous levels of racism or should they have fought to change British society to accept them?

Last edited:
Soldato
Except they then don't do anything about it. They can't even keep their own house in order. We've recently had yet another case where extremist materials are being openly distributed from a mosque

I was replying to itchys comment they are 'as silent as a stone' which is blatantly untrue

Soldato
That doesn't excuse what's going on now.

Didn't say it did, but it's pointless trying to be so pious about their illiberal attitudes to women and homosexuals when for example homosexuality was still illegal in this country 50 years ago and they regularly experienced violence and hostility, and did for decades after it was legalised.

Hell, it's not like we socially have equality for women even now, even if we have legislated for it. It's a thousand times better than it was but it's still not perfect.

So instead of being pious and condescending we need to understand and work on changing the attitudes of the ones who are now here. Which will happen over time, as the younger generation grow up being influenced by our society and attitudes, over generations hopefully these things will diminish.

It took generations for it to happen to us, it's not going to be immediate for them, especially as their religion has a stronger influence on them than ours does.

Man of Honour
Or stay in a country where you are settled and happy and try and change a few things to suit you better? IT's what immigrants have been doing in this country for 100's if not 1000's of years the idea that our culture is set in stone is a nonsense should all the afro Caribbean immigrants gone home in the 50's and 60's when faced with ridiculous levels of racism or should they have fought to change British society to accept them?

The sort of changes the people we're talking about here would force upon the rest of us given the chance are nothing like the ones you refer to with the afro Caribbeans.

Back
Top Bottom