HTC Vive

Soldato
To be fair, many of the performance issues could be because of the Revive wrapper / patch. I don't recall seeing pop in issues when playing AC in the Rift.

From my experience AC is less demanding graphically when both games are running at their maximum settings, I think my PCars experience is just typical of how it performs in VR unfortunately. The Revive coder was going to compare pop up with his Rift version, so will be interesting to see if he does discover anything, as it stands it's awful. I was going around the last corner at Silverstone and bollards were appearing as I was passing them, so it's not just distance stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I tried pCars as well, pop up, resolution and judder where really bad, and the menu is totally off as well can't see the right side and it moves with your head rather than remain static so you can't actually read much of the information because its always in your peripheral vision.

Associate
I can't get my wife of audioshield she loves it. I was blown away by the budget cuts demo. Next generation gaming in my honest opinion. The presence is real :)

Most of my time has been on Audioshield - so addictive! You get such a sense of power batting the coloured balls away :D

Associate
Does anybody who has one have the lighthouses set up in a room with a lampshade hanging down in the middle of the ceiling?

The room I will be setting mine up has one, there is about 5cm gap between the shade and the ceiling. Really didn't want to use the cable to connect the two so I'll probably have to take it down or something.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Received today. Great fun, really good first impressions

The dial on the side of the HMD for the lens distance didn't appear to do anything for the image. It prompted the measurement tool on screen but I couldn't notice a difference from 65 to 80mm.

The satellites are not keen on being lower than the 6ft 5 recommendation. 90% of the time it was fine, with 5% of it going nuts in game, and the other 5% conking out completely. Need to mount them properly. I reckon I'll take them out of the house on occasion - does anyone have recommendations for stands?

Audioshield is my favourite so far. It could do with mixing up the colours and backdrops but otherwise great. Can't help but get carried away bopping to the music and inevitably throwing myself off rhythm. Punching and dancing don't mix for me. Anyone tried the other shields? Found the standard ones to be the best.

The Lab was fantastic, great teaser. I was really impressed with the perception of GlaDOS' size, and the proportions of the NPC character in the secret shop. They are both NPC types I've seen before, but this time very different. The shop keeper really felt like he was top heavy with huge arms, I could imagine him having a punch like an ape. The bow and arrows universe was good, but frustrating. Haven't finished that yet.

Job sim I jumped into for 10. Played the car mechanic. Nothing had me hyped for it and was suitably indifferent to it afterwards. The glitchy grip controls didn't help.

Tilt brush is amazing but I don't have an artistic bone in my body. Knocked up some sketchy sketches and gawped at the pretty colours for a bit.

Played Skeet to finish off the night but found myself very tired and not in the mood for fiddling with the reload mechanics. Still to play budget cuts and holopoint.

Overall a great experience. I have a slight niggle at the back of my mind that it could all be a gimmick, but I'm confident there will be 1 or 2 killer games that define the genre and make it a must have.

Missus is coming over tomorrow. I predict she will be sucked into Audioshield an never come off it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom