ABS kicking in when turning right and braking at very low speeds (under 5mph)

Don
On my wife's Yaris. For the past few weeks we've had this issue.

If you're turning right sharply and braking, you'll feel the ABS kicking in.
It's going way too slow for the wheel to actually be slipping (to cause a genuine reason for ABS to turn on)

Is this likely to be just a duff sensor, could it perhaps just need cleaning?

Braking at all other times feels perfect.

We only really find it kicking in when parking the car.

The ABS light isn't showing up during normal operation.

Associate
As above, issue with a wheel speed sensor, or if car has ESP also perhaps mismatch of tyre wear front to rear - sometimes this is exaggerated if there's a mix of tyre brands fitted.

Associate
my gf recently had simialir issues with her 2011 astra , esp service and abs / traction lights where coming on every now and then ....then stayed on....ran a diagnostic check with one of them cheapo blutooth obd readers and showed a speed sensor fault :( although doesnt say which side so a freind used his snap on solus scanner and showed us it was drivers side. bought a new sensor online for £17 and fitted. been ok since

Associate
100% sensor or abs ring. My car does this, it has a chipped tooth on the ring, but a half dud sensor will do the same. A very dirty sensor will aswell, mind.

Edit :- The point being the abs block gets a signal that the wheel has stopped before it has due to the sensor or ring giving wrong info, so the abs kicks in to stop it from locking, even though it isn't locked.

Don
OP
Car is a 2003 model.

Tyres are matched and evenly worn. I'll whip the wheels off, clean the sensors and inspect the teeth.

Thanks gents.

Forgot about my ODB2 reader, I'll run that on it too!

Back
Top Bottom