Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (April Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 452 45.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 553 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Voters are surging towards 'Stay.'

The campaign to keep the UK in the European Union has seen a boost in support, according to the latest ORB poll for the Daily Telegraph.

If a referendum were held today, the Remain camp would secure 52 per cent of the vote and Leave would have 43 per cent, a decrease of five points since the organisation's previous poll on 5 April.

(Source).

Soldato
But again this is just form filling, if the talent needs to move in the age of online application forms and automation is it really that big a deal? Enough to compromise our sovereignty over?

Many research teams contain students who were born in countries that see far less attention in science and where the average student is not wealthy enough to study abroad. As a country that leads many fields of research with many prestigious educational institutes, the UK is often first choice for up and coming talented individuals who receive funding from the EU to study abroad. You will find that without the EU, many of these people would never had the opportunity to get that far.

Soldato
Genuine question: Why?

I hear a lot of this kind of talk but in real terms why?

Having one funding pool makes applying for funding simpler. It also makes it easier for large-scale projects, too big for one country to fund, to get access to sustainable funding. Something like CERN or ITER could be funded by the 28 EU member states individually (plus current partners outside of the EU) but it would be a riskier venture.

I agree that the paperwork involved in working abroad is easier than it once was but it certainly isn't straight-forward. University departments don't have the level of admin staff that a successful multinational company has. Freedom of movement rules also mean that scientists can bring their family with them and those other family members are free to find work here.

Associate
Voters are surging towards 'Stay.'

(Source).

Project Fear has worked then, the guillible and stupid have fell for all the massive scaremongering.

Mind you it's all pretty irrelevant as an Out vote won't take us out, Cameron simply won't do it, it might take 2 referendums but we're staying in that's a certainty.

Soldato
Everywhere I look, comments, online polls, social media. I don't see it.
I’ve seen the same. Everywhere I look it’s 2-3:1 in favour of leaving, but the MSM are smiling and pretending remain is a forgone conclusion. Probably a bunch of lies by omission like when migrants were trashing their way into Europe, but we’re shown nothing but frowny face women and children

To be honest, it could work in favour of leave if the remainers feel secure and the leavers feel more motivated.

Soldato

It was the same in Scotland the vocal minority were on all forums shouting their mouths off extolling the virtues of independence.

The silent sensible majority however were the ones at the polling booths saying nothing.

Posts on forums mean very little, people are swayed (bullied) into silence.

Most posts here are anti-EU yet the poll is quite close.

People that will vote remain feel less need to justify it. It's the status-quo arguement.

to use a terrible analogy

If I'm sitting in my comfortable chair with my slippers on I will take some good persuasion to get up, I will take almost no persuading to remain in my comfy chair.

The onus is completely on the Leavers to give reasons to leave.

(I did say it was a terrible analogy) :)

How can you debate with people who post meaningless comments like

"The eu is corrupt!" or "let's put the Great back in Great Britain" or "Let's get our sovereignty back".

When Moses here asks questions of sweeping leave statements with no source he is challenged for asking too many questions?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
How can you debate with people who post meaningless comments like

"The eu is corrupt!" or "let's put the Great back in Great Britain" or "Let's get our sovereignty back".

Exactly this - these are not reasons, they are meaningless soundbites which in themselves don't mean anything.

Caporegime
Again, after last years terribad polling, why even bother posting them.

Polls may fail from time to time but they're still the best way we have to predict the outcome of an election.

And despite the kicking they've got the opinion polls weren't actually that bad. If you look at the final polls, they predicted Con 33.7%, Lab 33.6%, UKIP 12.7%, LibDem 10.0% whereas the final results were Con 36.8%, Lab 30.5%, UKIP 12.7% and LibDem 7.9%. That's a 3.1 percentage point error on Con and Lab, bang on for UKIP and a 2.1 percentage point error for Lib Dem. Not precise, but actually a decent ballpark.

Soldato
When Moses here asks questions of sweeping leave statements with no source he is challenged for asking too many questions?
Allow me to be the Leave equivalent of Moses for a moment:

What do you mean by “the”, and can you define “to”?

What will be our membership fee if we stay? How will the population grow if we stay? How will the NHS be if we stay? What will house prices be if we stay? How many school places will there be if we stay? What countries will join the EU if we stay? What new laws will be forced on us if we stay?

He just asks questions he knows are unanswerable at this time.

Caporegime

The internet is great for creating echo chambers. I know almost no-one who will be voting out, my workplace is full of Remainers, my friends will vote Remain and my Facebook feed is strongly Remain biased. But if they were a good guide to how Britain would vote we'd have a Labour-Green coalition government and Scotland would have voted for independence. In reality, of course, they're not.

Soldato
I don't really know enough about it, and I find that most things online are going to be swayed by the authors beliefs. I can see benefits from both sides.

QT this morning had a man claiming if we left the EU, with savings made + using that money to increase our own market we would be out of debt as a country by 2030. If that's true it's very interesting.

Maybe another option would be to look at leaving with a "we will assess the situation every 5 years!"

Soldato
He asks them in retort to sweeping claims of 'there wont be this or that'. Funny you can make statements saying that there wont be xxx or xxx from now but no one can ask what there will be :rolleyes:
Ruh roh, rolleyes!

There is equal uncertainty with either decision, I’m just sick of those who exaggerate the safety of staying and the danger of leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom