IIyama 40" 4k VA monitor

Associate
Yup, 4k def needs Freesync/Gsync tbh. Helps a LOT (tried my XB321HK with and without and was massively better with :cool:)

What does it do exactly? - so for example - I have a catleap monitor that has better input lag so I can play black ops zombies ok. But with my 40 inch monitor (crossover) the lag is greater; and it just doesnt work as good.

Would it make the 40 inch then run like the catleap I have if I had gsync?

Associate
Is shame that this monitor doesn't come with Freesync. I could have bought it "yesterday"

The Ilyama 28" 4K got a free firmware upgrade to support Freesync if I recall so I guess it could be technically possible. Depends if Ilyama want to sell more of these or have something new coming down the line to replace it.

The way I think of it is 4K today is demanding yes but with the 2016 range of high GPUs and beyond 4K@60Hz is quite doable. Given a monitor lasts much longer than a GPU you should be fine in the long run + have the GPU grunt for VR which arguably the 980Ti is just shy of.

Associate
I have three of these units from the same batch and was able to isolate it to the individual screen. Using the exact same cables, connectors and card, two of the units work on a given image, one glitches out.

OCUK refuses to concede it's faulty. AFAIK they just left it running movies for two days and sent it back. When I have the energy and Iiyama have stock, I suppose I'll put together detailed repro steps and try them.

That is probably not the best way to get it resolved, send me a PM and we can discuss it separately if we carry on here it will just derail the thread. Personally I've had good experiences returning items to OCUK they have been pretty good by all accounts.

I quite fancy one of these monitors too hence the interest fyi

Just out of curiosity, did you two manage to pinpoint the cause of the issue?
And possibly found a remedy or workaround?

I already got myself a LG 31MU97Z-B, but I'm still considering this one as a second monitor (for NVidia Shield TV Box, QEMU+KVM+VFIO guest display, movies, etc).

Associate
Just out of curiosity, did you two manage to pinpoint the cause of the issue?
And possibly found a remedy or workaround?

I already got myself a LG 31MU97Z-B, but I'm still considering this one as a second monitor (for NVidia Shield TV Box, QEMU+KVM+VFIO guest display, movies, etc).

I only ordered/received mine recently, no issues so far I have to say my monitor does not display the same issues as Andrews nor the blue banding described elsewhere, nor the complex picture problem.... as yet you never know.

AMD R9 290X > DP 1.2 > 4k@60Hz sorted, though I could do with more GPU horse power and some point. Freesync would be nice I'll admit but @£450 there is a lot of monitor here.

Associate
I only ordered/received mine recently, no issues so far I have to say my monitor does not display the same issues as Andrews nor the blue banding described elsewhere, nor the complex picture problem.... as yet you never know.

AMD R9 290X > DP 1.2 > 4k@60Hz sorted, though I could do with more GPU horse power and some point. Freesync would be nice I'll admit but @£450 there is a lot of monitor here.

I'm probably getting one because, sadly, andrewprice seems to be one of a few if not the only one with that black screen issue.
I'm not too worried about the blue banding and complex picture issues, even if they were present, because it won't be my main monitor.
Thanks for your update.

Associate
Ive had my 4k benq for over 12 months now, Idid have initial problems using the display ports with the cables provided, as soon as I bought a good quality cable , I haven't had a problem since.

Permabanned
I love this monitor, I am a productivity beast!

IMG_9485.jpg

Associate
These big monitors are also really good for games with cockpits like sims because the action tend to happen in the middle with the cockpit display in your peripheral vision. In short if you are looking out of a virtual window that window has just got a lot bigger.

Permabanned
Nope it just sits there happily. I knew before I bought it I wouldn't be able to use the stand as I have a small desk so one of the reasons I got the Iiyama over the Philips was the Iiyama is flat on the bottom where the Philips has the logo protruding. I measured everything and it sits perfectly in my field of view. I did think I would need some sort of bracket but once I got the monitor I tried it just sat on the desk and its extremely stable. I don't have any small children so theres no reason for anyone to touch it unnecessarily.

Here are a few more photos and as you can see the monitor has quite a thick base on the bottom of about 4" combined with the 12Kg weight makes it sturdy:

IMG_9589.jpg

IMG_9588.jpg

IMG_9590.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
you have the same monitor and creative speakers as me lol

I'd like to use a vesa mount myself clamped to the desk but set a little behind the desk as its so big. Don't know if such things exist, I'll have to do some research.

Soldato
This is probably a very silly question, (and I haven't read the whole thread!) but if attached to something like a YouView box to be used as a tuner, could this be used as a TV?

I have been looking for a 40" 4K TV for some time now but narrow bezels are essential!

Associate
I don't see why you couldn't PiP or change source to view a 1080p HDMI signal from something like a YouView... you even get a remote control with this monitor. Of course if you aren't using the 4K then there are cheaper 1080p TVs but as a dual purpose monitor and TV this has to be one of the better options on the market.

Soldato
I have been looking at these all morning and I am very tempted but I have some questions:

Gaming:
I can run almost all my games at a solid 60fps @ 4k currently(got a 28" 4k screen) so I'm not worried about it dropping below 60fps or even having a higher refresh rate like on some as I don't see a problem with 60fps for me anyway.

The division - I was running at 4k, but in heavy areas it dropped fps a bit, and I wasn't happy with turning down the gfx settings so I run it on 1440p instead now which still looks fantastic.

Has anyone tried a game on this at 1440p? How is the quality? Is the dpi high enough for this resolution without jaggies?
Fixed stand:
What is the distance between the desk and the bottom of the screen?
I currently have four monitors, and if I got this I would either run it on its own, or use this one in the middle with one either side and remove the top monitor meaning I could remove the legs on this and secure it lower, with the stand I already have.

I would probably keep my current 4k monitor and buy another so I can have them on either side of this, mainly because I like putting tv ahows/movies/monitoring software/discord etc on them when I am gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
Answered one of my questions about the height, roughly 7cm according to reviews.

That's not bad, and my desk can be lowered anyway(which I planned to do even if I don't get this monitor) and I will have a spare arm which I could use.

Lower resolution gaming ie. 1440p instead of 4k, I don't need answered as I can run 1800p as a custom resolution for those games that I can't run ultra at 4k which will be sufficient.

Besides its only one game I can't get to 4k on ultra so its not an issue.

Im talking myself into this....lol just as well I'm not at home so I can measure everything or else I probably would have bought it already. :o

Only question is though....this or the Phillips....

Last edited:
Associate
Only question is though....this or the Phillips....

Come on guys, Gamble's asked the question and I'm asking it too, as my 28" AOC 4K monitor does another of it's back-fire / gunshot cracking sounds!

We Scots may (or may not!) want our independence, but we'd still appreciate your advice!

TIA

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well the screen uniformity on my ilyama is excellent and I have no dead pixels which a couple of people I know with the Philips have.

Back
Top Bottom