2016 Chilli Growers Thread

Associate
Is anyone using an electric propagator? I had problems with seeds not taking last year which I think is because I have the heating off all day while I am at work so they were cold a lot of the time. Tempted to take a trip to B&Q to see if they have one.

If you are intending to either;

~ grow under lights
~ grow and overwinter
~ grow in a non-Leeds climate

You may be OK with germinating as late in the season as mid April. Most people in UK will germinate peppers early to mid winter.

If you are not doing the above, then you really need to make shortcuts, like buying plug plants, or larger plants, from a live chilli plant seller (see page 1 for links to 2).

Soldato
Had a bit of a worry over the last couple of weeks, they were appearing to be a little too waterlogged for the plant's linking. I sat them on absorbent paper towel and changed regularly until the moisture is almost gone, with a couple of hot days they're back in form and growing well. They now have multiple sets of leaves :) The little one even has a couple of small leaves now..

Cold night tonight and tomorrow night here so they'll be brought back in to the house for the night.

You'll need a decent season or aim for an artificially extended/multi-season plant to get a decent crop.

Associate
I thought I was doing nicely but 5 of my chillis / peppers have suddenly shrivelled up the leaves :(

Can't decide if I've over or under-watered, or if the utility room wasn't warm enough with the back door being open. Have moved the seed tray to the kitchen to see if I can save any...

Shrivelled leaves can be a natural consequence / side-effect of moving the plants outdoors, after they have been indoors, or in heated props. It could be the cold / wind from the open door, or something else. If you can post photos, and info about the conditions (e.g. compost type / feed type / compost additives / watering schedule / type of water / temps etc), we can help with advice.

Associate
Had a bit of a worry over the last couple of weeks, they were appearing to be a little too waterlogged for the plant's linking. I sat them on absorbent paper towel and changed regularly until the moisture is almost gone, with a couple of hot days they're back in form and growing well. They now have multiple sets of leaves :) The little one even has a couple of small leaves now..

Cold night tonight and tomorrow night here so they'll be brought back in to the house for the night.

You'll need a decent season or aim for an artificially extended/multi-season plant to get a decent crop.

Yeah, I think that is a good way of drying them, although I would always advise not to keep the plants wet at all. If you think about it, the natural climate of peppers it is not waterlogged, but often under-watered. The problem for many growers is not being around enough to keep an eye on them, but to help with possible thirsty plant problems, you can use Vermiculite in the compost, or capillary matting watering (which allow slow watering via moist cotton capillary matt).

You probably know this already Nick, but I posted to help others too. :)

Associate
I am now a qualified Permaculture Designer, so I have a lot of additional knowledge about the alternatives to standard farming systems and processes. I still only have a tiny garden, but I might be able to help others with the same addiction of growing food for self-sufficiency. Permaculture is really about whole systems, but elements of it can be used to 'make-do' with the current circumstances and resources. Things like organic composts, and tea feeds are really easy once you understand them. If anyone has a large garden and would like to plan for optimal use of it for growing, let me know and I will try and offer free advice, or paid advice if you want me to do more than a few hints (e.g. visit you and design / plan a system with and for you).

Soldato
I was looking at my over wintered scotch bonnet this morning and it looks like I might have buds on it!

I'm really pleased how it's doing considering it was only a few weeks ago that I thought it might be dead!

Soldato
Shrivelled leaves can be a natural consequence / side-effect of moving the plants outdoors, after they have been indoors, or in heated props. It could be the cold / wind from the open door, or something else. If you can post photos, and info about the conditions (e.g. compost type / feed type / compost additives / watering schedule / type of water / temps etc), we can help with advice.

Cheers.

I think I've saved most of them. Moved them into a warmer area (no draughts). Potted most of them on Monday night and move them into the conservatory during the day (back into the house at night with the temperature still dropping a lot). Will get a new picture tonight.

Soldato
Really really hot day today.. the conservatory is getting "uncomfortable" in temps I think for the chillies.. loving the sun watered this morning.. the kitchen herbs had to get moved as they'd wilted! Sun flower in the is loving it.

Luckily I'm at home and can do something about it. Have to be so careful with younger plants and the crazy weather (0degC last night, frost on the grass this morning and now blitzing hot).

Soldato
Had a good look last night and yes I do have buds on my overwintered Scotch Bonnet! :)

20160420_191818_zpsebsom0uj.jpg

20160420_191900_zpsk6oqzmyq.jpg

Soldato
Awesome!

Sometimes this early in the season they'll drop their flowers as their leaves/roots aren't established enough (and the length of day/cold draught), so don't be too despondent if the first buds don't result in fruits.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Has anyone got any insight into why a few of my chilli plants are wilting / drooping? They are in the same area of the house as the 'perky' ones, same potting mix and feed, etc.

Soldato
Awesome!

Sometimes this early in the season they'll drop their flowers as their leaves/roots aren't established enough (and the length of day/cold draught), so don't be too despondent if the first buds don't result in fruits.

I'm just amazed because it wasn't all that long ago that it was looking basically dead! It seems to be loving it's spot at the moment and thriving which I'm happy about. Even if it does drop it's flowers I know there's plenty of time for it to do more, so at present I'm happy with it. :)

Soldato
Has anyone got any insight into why a few of my chilli plants are wilting / drooping? They are in the same area of the house as the 'perky' ones, same potting mix and feed, etc.

If it was as warm yesterday where you are as it was here they are probably suffering heat stroke. Some plants will be ok and some will suffer. Move the wilters into some shade and gradually introduce them to full sunlight. Or they may have just dried out. Again put them in partial shade and give them a good guzzle of water.

Associate

Just to add another simple possible cause; are they all the same strain of chilli plant? If not you may have variation in behaviour from different types of plant.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Thanks for the tips all, yeah they are a mix of seeds. I found pruning some of the leaves off (Around half, mostly lower leaves that had wilted), and giving the soil a good dousing has perked them right up. I've got around 11 plants now, and i've got buds coming through on about 3 - very exciting.

Soldato
I'm really unimpressed with World of Chillies this year. I placed an order last week Thursday and the site gave me an order confirmation but I received no email. It's been a week now and no sign of any plants, but my card has been charged, and no emails or calls to them are being answered. I've never had an issue with them before but I'm getting a little fed up that I've spent £24 on plants and I have heard nothing about them yet. I think I'll have to go to my local plant nursery this weekend to see if they have any decent chilli plants left. I truly don't know what's going on with World of Chillies though. I've never had issues with them in the past :(

Soldato

Overwatering/underwatering. Plants can dry out really fast when the suns out/temperatures rise. Overwatering is less of a problem if they're sitting in a pot with good drainage. Wet compost doesn't cause so many problems its waterlogged compost that does - lack of air to the roots (if they're submerged/under water they can't get oxygen. Strange but true). I've got a bunch of toms and peppers in pots sitting in a tray of water and constantly wet and they're fine - so long as the drainage is good.

Associate
Latest photo - They seem to be coming along nicely. Was under watering them at the start I think, but now I have upped that the leaves are looking much darker and healthier.

4laBnM5l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom