Have Anyone Moved To Italy To Live/Work?

Soldato
A friend of mine have been tabled a decent offer to live and work in Italy. Specifically around Milan, Lombardy region.

I understand the Italians are very bureaucratic, and their Income Tax is relatively higher than UK, but anything else to watch out for? The friend will be moving out with his wife, no children.

I know a few forumite have made the move to Western Europe. Care to share your experiences? Just want to make sure he isn't making a big mistake.

Soldato
I've visited Milan and I'm sorry to say it wasn't very nice, quite "industrial" but I'm sure there are nice areas.

Yes a friend of mine moved to San Donato to work and it was soulless. I visited Milan again for a week for work last year and it was amazing how many homeless people/refugees there are now on the green outside the main station, it was almost like a township.

Soldato
As others have said, Milan was massively disappointing and pretty run down outside of an inner square mile. However I'm sure the wider region is pretty decent.

Soldato
OP
Congrats on the job offer CJ ;D

Please stick to OP Buff! :)

Watch out for dodgy I-Ties.

I have heard about how dodge but is that more of a stereotype, especially the Northern Italians vs the Southerners.

I've visited Milan and I'm sorry to say it wasn't very nice, quite "industrial" but I'm sure there are nice areas.
The area around the Duomo is nice but as you said, most of it is industrial.
Yes a friend of mine moved to San Donato to work and it was soulless. I visited Milan again for a week for work last year and it was amazing how many homeless people/refugees there are now on the green outside the main station, it was almost like a township.
As others have said, Milan was massively disappointing and pretty run down outside of an inner square mile. However I'm sure the wider region is pretty decent.

Thankfully the location isn't in central Milan specifically.

I hate Milan, but the rest of Northern Italy is amazing.

What do you hate most about Milan? The region he is looking at is North Western side of Milano.

Soldato
The most trouble we used to have was with the Algerians and Romany Gypsies. They are always up to no good around the central station.
Unwanted fact, we had to move back to England from Calabria as the local mafia wanted too much % of my Dad's business so it wasn't viable. I haven't been back for years but I intend to go see my godparents soon.

Soldato
OP
The most trouble we used to have was with the Algerians and Romany Gypsies. They are always up to no good around the central station.
Unwanted fact, we had to move back to England from Calabria as the local mafia wanted too much % of my Dad's business so it wasn't viable. I haven't been back for years but I intend to go see my godparents soon.

Thankfully the area you mentioned is South Italy, where Mafia is a bit of an issue.

Caporegime
Congrats, definitely something to snap up should the opportunity arise. For your friend of course.

Given that an offer has been made, does it include language lessons? Whilst the Italians are probably more forgiving than the French being able to speak the lingua franca is ultimately essential for living there; I would say it took me ~10 months to become fluent and that was with regular lessons for the first 3 months.

Bureacracy is generally much higher, make sure that the move includes help to find somewhere to live, this will be harder than you might imagine.

Milan itself may not be great but its close to the Alpes so definitely a bonus.

Soldato
OP
Gz in the work brother ! what work will you be doing ? if we may know ?
He cannot update till after x amount of time. Hopefully not long.

Oh yes I know I was just throwing an irrelevant fact in there. My dad is from Torino/Turin but Calabria is a lot warmer of course. Plus southern food is the 'real' food.
Any Real Italian food beats the Italian we get in the UK tbh. He's a foodie, so I'm sure he'll appreciate.

Congrats, definitely something to snap up should the opportunity arise. For your friend of course.

Given that an offer has been made, does it include language lessons? Whilst the Italians are probably more forgiving than the French being able to speak the lingua franca is ultimately essential for living there; I would say it took me ~10 months to become fluent and that was with regular lessons for the first 3 months.

Bureacracy is generally much higher, make sure that the move includes help to find somewhere to live, this will be harder than you might imagine.

Milan itself may not be great but its close to the Alpes so definitely a bonus.

Living arrangement is included for a year, plus all removal costs. Language courses have been requested, along with a few tweaks to offer.

Never realise renting over in Italy goes on 4 years contract!

Which part of Italy are you at? How are you finding it, compared to life in the UK?

Back
Top Bottom