What the hell is a 'baby shower'?

I work in an admin block and one of the girls (who I barely know) has invited 75-odd to it. There is a list of things she wants us to bring. I've been invited too but have already given my apologies because I have already planned some house maintenance on the days around that event. If I did attend it though, then I'll only really know a couple of people there out of the 75. Seems like she just invited everyone from the building. It's being held in one of our conference rooms.

P.S. looked 'baby shower' up on Google and it seems to be an event where you give presents to the unborn baby. Surely though you normally give presents after the baby is born? And then only if you know the person really well?

Man of Honour
It's present giving for an expectant mother. It's an American thing they've tried bringing over here, like prom and so on.

In the context you've given, IMO, it's legitimised begging for new parents.

Soldato
It's an American thing which seems to have made its way over here. As you found, it's an event for showering the baby and mum with gifts. Went to one for my nephew before he was born (In the US). Was OK but a bit strange, as not used to such extrovert behaviour.

alx

alx

Soldato
The version I've seen here is where the father goes out with his mates for 'a few beers' to celebrate having a child - seems like a much better idea :D

Soldato
I work in an admin block and one of the girls (who I barely know) has invited 75-odd to it. There is a list of things she wants us to bring. I've been invited too but have already given my apologies because I have already planned some house maintenance on the days around that event. If I did attend it though, then I'll only really know a couple of people there out of the 75. Seems like she just invited everyone from the building. It's being held in one of our conference rooms.

P.S. looked 'baby shower' up on Google and it seems to be an event where you give presents to the unborn baby. Surely though you normally give presents after the baby is born? And then only if you know the person really well?
Usually it would be just for a bunch of women to play games, have laugh and give presents as far as i know, and usually only close friends. Sounds like this woman at your work has just invited everybody to get lots of presents

Back
Top Bottom