IIyama 40" 4k VA monitor

Associate
IMG_9590.jpg

Is that a hackintosh powering that beast:)

Associate
Q: What is the distance between the desk and the bottom of the screen?

A: 6cm with the included stand/legs, vesa mounting is possible so with a separate mount you can do what you like.

regarding gaming if you were to play at 1440p then I guess you would switch on some AA, I've not done it but I could give it a try. I tried Fallout4 briefly tbh I found it disorientating due to the monitor size/distance you'd need to move back a bit for fast fps games. Mechwarrior is good and X Rebirth is exceptional with a big monitor. Looking forward to trying Elite this week.

Associate
Yep and she's lovely :D

Spit, I see you have a 70D, so I guess you're at least moderately keen on photography - that's a great camera!

If I buy the 4071, it will be my 'do everything' monitor. This will include Lightroom and Photoshop work, for my own pleasure rather than any commercial purpose. Absolute 100% compliance with colour standards isn't necessary, but for general photography hobby use, and the usual Office apps, would you consider the 4071 adequate?

TIA

Last edited:
Permabanned
Absolutely. I do a lot of my personal photos but I also take property photos for estate agents. It's a fantastic monitor and I have been surprised at how good the whites and blacks are. To have so much real estate at a high resolution is a dream.

Associate
Absolutely. I do a lot of my personal photos but I also take property photos for estate agents. It's a fantastic monitor and I have been surprised at how good the whites and blacks are. To have so much real estate at a high resolution is a dream.

Thanks!

I'll buy it before they bump it back up to £469 - seems to 'yo-yo' between those two price-points at Overclockers!

Regards

KSR

Soldato
Q: What is the distance between the desk and the bottom of the screen?

A: 6cm with the included stand/legs, vesa mounting is possible so with a separate mount you can do what you like.

regarding gaming if you were to play at 1440p then I guess you would switch on some AA, I've not done it but I could give it a try. I tried Fallout4 briefly tbh I found it disorientating due to the monitor size/distance you'd need to move back a bit for fast fps games. Mechwarrior is good and X Rebirth is exceptional with a big monitor. Looking forward to trying Elite this week.

Associate
Nope it just sits there happily. I knew before I bought it I wouldn't be able to use the stand as I have a small desk so one of the reasons I got the Iiyama over the Philips was the Iiyama is flat on the bottom where the Philips has the logo protruding. I measured everything and it sits perfectly in my field of view. I did think I would need some sort of bracket but once I got the monitor I tried it just sat on the desk and its extremely stable. I don't have any small children so theres no reason for anyone to touch it unnecessarily.

Here are a few more photos and as you can see the monitor has quite a thick base on the bottom of about 4" combined with the 12Kg weight makes it sturdy:

SNIP
But there are 2 ventilation slots at the base/bottom of the monitor. Which are blocked in your setup. Don't you care?

fRCfjPe.jpg

P.S.
I wanted to be able to pivot the monitor with a monitor arm or monitor desk stand. But the guy who helped me, showed me a warning in the manual against using the monitor sideways, upside down or on it's back. So I didn't buy it. Sigh!

Last edited:
Associate
I have been looking at these all morning and I am very tempted but I have some questions:

Gaming:
I can run almost all my games at a solid 60fps @ 4k currently(got a 28" 4k screen) so I'm not worried about it dropping below 60fps or even having a higher refresh rate like on some as I don't see a problem with 60fps for me anyway.

The division - I was running at 4k, but in heavy areas it dropped fps a bit, and I wasn't happy with turning down the gfx settings so I run it on 1440p instead now which still looks fantastic.

Has anyone tried a game on this at 1440p? How is the quality? Is the dpi high enough for this resolution without jaggies?
Fixed stand:
What is the distance between the desk and the bottom of the screen?
I currently have four monitors, and if I got this I would either run it on its own, or use this one in the middle with one either side and remove the top monitor meaning I could remove the legs on this and secure it lower, with the stand I already have.

I would probably keep my current 4k monitor and buy another so I can have them on either side of this, mainly because I like putting tv ahows/movies/monitoring software/discord etc on them when I am gaming.

I tried it in just cause 3 (1440p) and it didn't look that good tbh, probably because its a 40 inch screen.

Associate
Doesn't look as if any one is having any more issues with these, could have been just a bad batch :/ Been watching this thread for a little while now and managed to talk myself in to getting one tonight. Just a shame it'll sit in its box for the next 2 weeks :(

Associate
I think the other thing to keep in mind is that in 6 months we should start seeing GPUs that can push 4k to 60fps and then lock it. Given that monitors tend to last 2 -3 times the lifespan of a GPU you should catch up.

Then in 5 - 10yrs time you'll have OLED 42" with all the bells and whistles at 144Hz at a sensible price leaving you with the Ilyama as a 4k TV/monitor.

The Ilyama's no.1 selling point is a large 4k@60 monitor today @ £450 with deep blacks thanks to the MVA panel. It's not perfect but what do you expect for £450.

I'd say if you are into games like Star Citizen, Elite and RTS types with the desire for a massive workspace its an easy decision. If you are into your CounterStrike twitch shooters then you are better suited to a dedicated gaming display like the Acer and Asus. You are still better off getting one of these over VR HMD if you dual purpose work and gaming on PC.

Associate
Hey guys

I was considering picking one of these up for music production work.

I occasionally game and was wondering if this will cover that role as well? I have a 980ti but doubt ill get enough frames on 4K so will it be ok at 1440p as well?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Associate
1440p won't look that great on this monitor as it's too big. You would be better of just playing on medium/high settings for the most demanding games which is what I do on division (because they can't fix sli on their game). I get around 32-48 fps on medium settings.

Soldato
I have decided I am going to go for it :)

Plan is, buy this and Im going to buy another 28" 4k monitor so my current 28" 4k will move to the left, new one to the right, big one in the middle.

Will prob get it next month.

Reason being is because I can everything on 4k at the moment, yes some games need turned down but I am fine with that (SLI 980tis and 5820k) but I am planning on replacing my two current TI's with the new gen ti's when they come out, so SLI on the new cards will destroy 4k I reckon :)

Associate
Hey guys

I occasionally game and was wondering if this will cover that role as well? I have a 980ti but doubt ill get enough frames on 4K so will it be ok at 1440p as well?

Cheers!

I don't think you'll be disappointed with it when it comes to productivity. Coming off of a 1440p 27" display myself, UHD at roughly the same pixel density is absolutely wonderful.

As for gaming, I would recommend either dropping settings (as mentioned) or playing in 1080p at a bit of a distance. I haven't actually tested this yet (don't really play a lot of newer games), but with a bit of luck you should get easy scaling (pixel doubling) with minimal loss of quality on games that don't quite support super high resolutions yet.

Associate
Hey guys

Cheers!

I think it depends what games you like, my R9 290X can drive Elite Dangerous @4k not at a constant 60fps but 50+ for the most part. GTA V @4k is ok a bit laggy if I'm honest but if you drop the resolution down you always have the option of moving further away from the screen. Your 980ti is more powerful so I think you'll be ok as long as you are not into competitive Battlefield or CounterStrike.

Its amazing how small your classic 24" 1080p screen looks when you've used one of these for a few days.

Associate
I think it depends what games you like, my R9 290X can drive Elite Dangerous @4k not at a constant 60fps but 50+ for the most part. GTA V @4k is ok a bit laggy if I'm honest but if you drop the resolution down you always have the option of moving further away from the screen. Your 980ti is more powerful so I think you'll be ok as long as you are not into competitive Battlefield or CounterStrike.

Its amazing how small your classic 24" 1080p screen looks when you've used one of these for a few days.

I used to have a 19 inch monitor a few years back, at the time i thought that monitor was huge(had a 15 inch before it), but its only a quarter of this screen and its amazing how tiny it looks now in comparison

Soldato
I was umm'ing and aah'ing between this and the 43" Philips, and went for this in the end mainly because I trust Iiyama from personal experience just that little bit more than Philips, so hoping to get this tomorrow along with a few other bits and bobs to play with (nuc and 1900 Antec for my media file server to be moved into)

Back
Top Bottom