What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Well my brake weirdness is all gone now, but I'm still not 100% sure on the cause as the cause I think it is doesn't make any sense...

Initially I was having trouble where the brake lever would go spongy after riding the bike for a bit. Turned out that was sticky calipers, which I resolved by cleaning.

Then, I noticed my right hand caliper was getting extremely hot compared to the left. I checked it every so often, and even after not using it all on the way to work yesterday, it almost burnt me just tapping it, the other disk was cool...

Checked my pads again at this point, got a bit worried as there was a new little stone chip at the top, so it seemed like they were getting shredded.

Also had a new issue where if the bike stood for a while, I'd come back to it and the brake lever would come back to the handlebar on the first pull, then be fine... almost like the pistons were retracting when not in use which is unlikely, but that's what it felt like.

So, I put my stock levers back on (so they didn't question it, invalidate the warranty blah blah), rode to Triumph dealer and they said everything was 100% fine. They did bleed the system for me, checked piston operation etc. no signs of brake burning, so all looked good.

So I think I did initially fix a slightly sticky piston by cleaning last week, however I also think my new stubby brake lever is causing issues. But, I have no idea how, as it's effectively just a little nipple thing that presses a button, and the nipple thing is the same as the stock one.

So my brakes are back to normal now, but I'm back to my old levers. I guess the next test is putting stubby lever back on and see what happens.

Soldato
How weird, so you were getting hot disc/calipers even after cleaning but now thats all fine since changing levers? I have heard of some dodgy levers not releasing completely so your brakes were effectively still on even if just a small amount, but strange that it was only doing that to one caliper and not both, whats your brake line setup? two from the master or one and crossover over the mudguard to the other caliper?

Soldato
Are they those cheap Chinese levers? The brass sleeve bushing can be tight/squared off sometimes

The pivot bush,I've read a few stories where they stick and stick on sometimes,

They were £40 ones, but for all I know, they are just re-sold cheap £10 Chinese ones, but the quality does seem much better than typical cheap Chinese stuff.

If it was the lever I'd have thought both sides would be binding though wouldn't they?

Yep, would have thought so.

Unless of course the hot disk on one side was fixed when Triumph bled the system and the other issue, where the lever is spongy on first pull after standing for a while is the issue caused by the lever.

How weird, so you were getting hot disc/calipers even after cleaning but now thats all fine since changing levers? I have heard of some dodgy levers not releasing completely so your brakes were effectively still on even if just a small amount, but strange that it was only doing that to one caliper and not both, whats your brake line setup? two from the master or one and crossover over the mudguard to the other caliper?

After cleaning the pistons were no longer being knocked back, so I didn't get a spongy brake after riding around, but yeah the right side was still getting way hotter than left.

I changed levers and Triumph also had the pads out plus bled it, so maybe they fixed the right side binding issue.

Could all be coincidence with the levers! I'll have to swap them back again and see if the issues come back.

Think it's one from the mc, then they split just in front of the rad and go in to each caliper. This morning, I just used brakes normally and both disks were same temperature.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've heard so many stories of cheap Chinese levers causing the front brake to lock up due to the brake being constantly applied a tiny bit, eventually the fluid expands and the brake locks up completely. I stopped for a fireblade who'd pulled over with exactly that issue last year, his front brake was completely locked solid.

If one of your calipers pistons are retracting slightly or are a little sticky, when you or the lever applies pressure it'll take the path of least resistance first, which would cause the non sticky pistons to be moved first, and if the lever is causing the brakes to be applied a little that will make the disk hot as you've seen. Eventually the fluid will heat up and expand and start applying the other brake calliper, then you could be in trouble.

I'd run with the stock levers for a while, if the problem goes away you know what's to blame!

Soldato
Yep, that makes sense.

I am running stock levers at the mo. Will swap back at the weekend and test again. If the issues come back then I'll try get a refund & go for some evotech, pazzo or Rizomas.

And to think, I was planning on having the pistons out and cleaning that way. Eugh.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've noticed a patch of oil appearing on the side of my engine around the front spark plug well drain hole, it looks there's a very slow seep coming from somewhere and after some Googling that somewhere seems like the front cylinder cam cover gasket.

New gasket just ordered and from looking around it doesn't seem too difficult to replace once you remove the rad for access so that's on my list of things to do.
Also noticed my clutch is starting to feel a little different so I'll be sticking a new cable on that tonight or tomorrow. Last thing I want is that snapping going down the M54 surrounded by other bikes!

Soldato
I've noticed a patch of oil appearing on the side of my engine around the front spark plug well drain hole, it looks there's a very slow seep coming from somewhere and after some Googling that somewhere seems like the front cylinder cam cover gasket.

New gasket just ordered and from looking around it doesn't seem too difficult to replace once you remove the rad for access so that's on my list of things to do.
Also noticed my clutch is starting to feel a little different so I'll be sticking a new cable on that tonight or tomorrow. Last thing I want is that snapping going down the M54 surrounded by other bikes!

How many miles has your SV done?

Soldato
Clutch slave started has been leaking, I thought it was lube from the scottoiler at first now its quite clear its clutch fluid :( need to source a second hand slave. Other than being bummed about that washed and waxed her after my off at Brands and went for a ride to cheer me up.. saw a bike in a car park, circled round to have a look thinking i know that bike... turns out its none other than TallPauls CB400

Soldato
Clutch slave started has been leaking, I thought it was lube from the scottoiler at first now its quite clear its clutch fluid :( need to source a second hand slave. Other than being bummed about that washed and waxed her after my off at Brands and went for a ride to cheer me up.. saw a bike in a car park, circled round to have a look thinking i know that bike... turns out its none other than TallPauls CB400

:D Brilliant, yeah I've just got back from a ride up to Canterbury to take an exam at the college, that was the nearest bike parking. Great ride up there and back, flies on the visor, black leather baking when you're not moving... ahh summer. Finally! :cool:

Loooooads of bikes out today considering it's a workday! lots of sickies being pulled! Mine is a genuine day off ;)

The CB400 is running a little rough though, think it's due an oil/filter change, last time was September so that's around 8000 miles since it was last done.

Soldato
:D Brilliant, yeah I've just got back from a ride up to Canterbury to take an exam at the college, that was the nearest bike parking. Great ride up there and back, flies on the visor, black leather baking when you're not moving... ahh summer. Finally! :cool:

Loooooads of bikes out today considering it's a workday! lots of sickies being pulled! Mine is a genuine day off ;)

The CB400 is running a little rough though, think it's due an oil/filter change, last time was September so that's around 8000 miles since it was last done.

Some dodgy guy was circling your bike... keep an eye on it :p

Back
Top Bottom