• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
5710005_zpssd3iokd1.jpg~original

So many second hand 980 Ti's for sale for near £450.

You would have to really hate your cash with a passion to part with that much for a 2nd hand 980Ti at this stage.

Soldato
I'm betting without going to silly measures like LN2 people will struggle to top around 2.2-2.24GHz based on what other stuff made on 16nm FF has managed though as per my other post that doesn't directly equate to what can be done with GPUs.

That is my worry as we seeing maybe a binned chip and I hope all can at least hit 2GHz.

Amd better get their act together and join the party and don't leave it to late at least show us what their cards can do before the 1080/70's are on sale.

Soldato

You would have to really hate your cash with a passion to part with that much for a 2nd hand 980Ti at this stage.

Exactly, which is why there are no offers on them.

No one on here is going to pay that kind of money for one when it looks like the 1070 will match or beat it for circa £300. You might find a muppet on the bay though :)

Soldato
So much knee-jerking after this announcement... I got a 980ti relatively recently and am not really that bothered... sure if I was planning a build right now I'd wait for a 1080 but the card I've got is going to be perfectly good and I see no real reason to go scrabbling onto the MM or similar desperately trying to get rid...

Much as people don't want to believe it - if you have a 980Ti you don't need one of the new cards, so who cares?

Soldato

Just had a look on the MM. 3 Adverts for 980Ti's since the 1080 announcement this morning. How is that so many? Doesn't seem that out of the ordinary to me considering.

This forum loses it's **** when a new graphics card is announced. It's quite funny.

Last edited:
Soldato
Calm down people, you have been caught in Nvidia's net and all they have is a few non detailed graphs and lots of buzz words. Don't get me wrong the 10 cards sound awesome. However, I think you all ought to hold off on the pre-orders until you see the cards properly benchmarked with games.

You know how they throw all this wonderful stuff out to ensnare you and it seems that only the "Founder" edition is available first....you will all go out and get one then regret it when they pull another fast one in one way or another.

All I am really saying is take your time, wait for the proper benches (DX11 AND DX12) and also wait for AMDs response with Polaris. Polaris 10 may not be aimed at high end but it may give an indication of what is to be expected in Vega.

Don't rush this.....it's still a lot of your hard earned money and you all want to spend it wisely.

Still it was a great shout out from Nvidia and If I am totally honest I kept saying "Holy ****" all the way through the 1080/1070 bits. :D

But that is what this event was designed to do....no mention of anything DX12 etc....

Okay people, be careful out there....exciting times ahead ;)

Are you begging people not to buy NV cards?:o

Soldato
Regarding DP 1.4, the fine print on the specs page says:

DisplayPort 1.2 Certified, DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 Ready
What's the difference between "certified" and "ready"? Some features not supported on the latter two?

Soldato
Regarding prices for 980Ti on the MM, if I already owned one and was looking for a cheap 2nd one for SLI, I'd say they were still easily worth £350-£400.

Caporegime
I particularly liked that in hyping up a crowd he went from a bit faster than a Titan X, to twice the performance by the end. If you state something is twice as fast and not up to twice as fast(which all their marketing materials do) you make people expect it to be twice as fast full stop, not in extremely rare cases like specific VR games.

You have Jensen on stage saying it's twice as fast as a Titan X but their marketing materials saying it's 60% faster than a single GTX 980 in The Witcher 3. 60% is give or take what you'd expect from one process node to the next with double transistor density. In this case it's what 20% smaller core but has 40-60% higher clocks(is that 60% faster performance at 1.733Ghz, or is that what an founders edition holding higher clocks gets).

One gen to the next similar sized die with double transistor density and roughly speaking same clocks, maybe 5-10% up then you expect the 60-70% performance increase. People are getting themselves out of the mind by spending months playing down 1080gtx performance so they can get all excited when it's the normal level.

Every release is like this now, play down all nvidia performance they be 'surprised' with the usual increase, same people play UP expected AMD performance so when something releases lower they can pretend to be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom