• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

bru

bru

Soldato
AFAIK it still isn't a mandatory part of DP 1.4 - I'm guessing nVidia will hold out as long as they can :(

I asked DisplayPort this very question, here is the response.

Optional.

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 5:50 AM, DisplayPort <********@hotmail.com> wrote:
Name
Email
********@hotmail.com

Untitled
Ask DisplayPort
With DP1.3/1.4 is adaptive sync a compulsory component or is it still optional like it was in DP1.2 ?

Many thanks.

Soldato
As I think the 1070 will be £350 at launch i'd not be paying more than £300 for a 980Ti and even then it would have to be a top model for that.

Stock i'd be thinking around £250.

Soldato
So the 1080 at 2.1Ghz is 20% faster than a 980ti is that correct?

Is that a stock or overclocked 980ti?

it is taking the p**s out of buyers a bit if an overclocked 1070 beats and overclocked 980ti, I don't think it will, but it might.

The 980ti was not reelased long ago, I am completely fine with the 1080 beating the 980ti, but if a 1070 beats 980ti then that just completely destroyed the resale value of the 980ti just over a year after release.

Surely the 1070 with a 256bit bus and GDDR5 cannot be as good as a 1080ti at high resolutions.

Last edited:
Associate
watching the prices drop so rapidly in the space of 12 hours, makes you think, is it worth picking up another Ti for SLI and not get the 1080, i mean lets be realistic, unless you want 4K60 the Ti is not exactly a slouch, 2 of them should be enough for another year maybe?

Caporegime
watching the prices drop so rapidly in the space of 12 hours, makes you think, is it worth picking up another Ti for SLI and not get the 1080, i mean lets be realistic, unless you want 4K60 the Ti is not exactly a slouch, 2 of them should be enough for another year maybe?

No, wait and pick up a brand new one for likely around £300 in a months time once the 1000 series has come out.

Associate

Thing is, SLI support (and Xfire) are pretty bad at the moment. And probably won't dramatically improve until the consoles use 2 GPUs.

So in my book you're always better off, on average, with a single faster card than 2 slower ones.

So I'd go 1080 if I were you.

Last edited:
Associate
No, wait and pick up a brand new one for likely around £300 in a months time once the 1000 series has come out.

well the specific SKU i want is EOL which is slightly annoying but ive seen a few of them on the bay, its way too tempting!

Things is, SLI support (and Xfire) are pretty bad at the moment. And probably won't dramatically improve until the consoles use 2 GPUs.

So in my book you're always better off, on average, with a single faster card than 2 slower ones.

So I'd go 1080 if I were you.

I loved my 295 when it worked.....so i do see that side of the argument, just too many if's and but's!

bru

bru

Soldato
As for the new cards, they look very good.

1607MHz base clock on the 1080 1733MHz boost, but I would expect most to boost higher than that and in the presentation he showed one running 2114MHz at only 67^c saying that it was air cooled and had great overclocking potential.

Price for the 1080 is not bad and I got to love when he first put the price up on the screen the women in the audience shouting "I can afford that". :)

Very good price on the 1070 as was predicted by many. Performance stated as better than a TitanX and with the 1080 being 30% further up the road, I don't find that too hard to believe at all.

As with all these types of events, what is said on stage and what is shown in the slides does not always tally up together. Of course some will take the best possible case and some the worst, best to wait for the reviews to see where things actually sit.

Availability and price, he said $599 and available worldwide May 27th, if that was only the founders addition then it wouldn't be $599 on the 27th, but again we need to wait and get clarification, as the press release certainly makes it look that way.

I do hope that we get reviews before the 27th and more importantly that we get reviews of both the 1080 and the 1070 at the same time, rather than having to wait till the 10th June for the 1070 reviews.

Back
Top Bottom