Neighbour issues

Soldato
Last night was brutal, 4 cars worth of chavs showed up for a party, shouting, swearing and screaming between the house and the garden - all careless teenagers. Phoned the council who said they'd send a car out to measure the noise but wether they showed up or not, I don't know. Neighbour at the back of the house shouted me over this morning and complained also, old couple who didn't get to sleep until 4...

I want to nip this in the bud before it goes on - police won't care

Are you sure you didn't smell some drugs over there and maybe some underage drinking? ;) The police will arrive in riot vans with blue lights going for that!

Soldato
Drop by with some welcome to the neighbourhood gifts, bought at the local charity store...
Some hearing aids (so they don't need to shout)
Some headphones (for the music)
Some bins (for the general waste and bottles)

If they don't take the hint, dial 101 regarding suspected under-age teenagers drinking cans of alcohol and a strong aroma of cannabis, with lots of people frequently visiting the property in cars all through the night.;)

Soldato

Fair enough then. If it sounds like an ongoing thing then probably worth a word with the owner. If the tenants are as you describe then you'll likely just start a war by going directly to them. Personally wouldn't involve the authorities unless it really does become a big ongoing problem. No point in getting kids into trouble over something relatively trivial. I dare say I can remember how exciting it was to get my first flat, and I'm sure we all had the odd party that got a bit out of hand.

Soldato
Since it's rented, i would get both council and landlord in on a group discussion/email about how it's affecting you and your neighbours lives etc etc.

However, i had neighbour issues and the only solution i found to work was to move.

Associate
As others said it might be a one off, but if not I had a similar problem, although my neighbor was older and owned the house, he went on a ton of mad binges after his missus left. All night parties at lease once a month sometimes all weekend if it was a bank holiday. As he owned the house there wasn't much we could do, the council were not really interested as the frequency wasn't quite enough for them to escalate it beyond a sternly worded letter. But over a two years of this and I used to dread coming home at the weekend to the thud thud of crappy dance music and random cheering and yelling.

We ended up moving house, which was earlier than I would have liked financially, but it was totally for the best and could not be happier with my new neighbors. Try and talk to the owner but be prepared not to get anywhere especially if its family.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Only answer is, go and have a polite word with the kids and explain it affected the neighbours. Judge how they respond. They want to be adults now, they need to understand that this is how the world works.

If they take it on board, say no more. If they're stroppy about it, let the homeowner know.

If nothing is resolved at this point, push for the council to do something. At this point, you and your neighbours will all need to start making logs and recordings as evidence.

Soldato
You sound like a hoot of a neighbour tbh. If its persistent then I can understand but its been one party which could well have been a housewarming so you need to cut them some slack and get over it.

If its persistent and consistently every night or a few nights a week then its a different matter but what you've explained just sounds like they had a house party! We were all young once. Let them crack on.

Caporegime
Go round there and have a word.

this

why escalate to the council in the first instance rather than simply pop next door and ask them to turn the noise down?

for a one off instance(so far) you're really wasting a resource that could be better used by people who have ongoing issues that can't be resolved easily

Back
Top Bottom