• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
When I had 4k providing I had the power to run a game at 60fps (90% I couldn't) I found the best mix was to set fps at 59 on a 60hz monitor. Not that it matter's because most games can't get near 50fps in 4k. Plus when you've had more than 60hz you'll never go back. The difference between 60 and 100 is massive, out weighs the 4k sharpness which you forget about within 2 min's of playing a fast paced game.

i did exactly this with overwatch
1440p 144hz vs 4K 60hz

after testing both for an hour each i choose 4K with gsync off [100fps)

What's the 'hassle' of 21:9?
if a game dont support it expect strecthed images/black bars on left and right or using a 16:9 resolution or what i had a year ago games crashing.... or not even launching

i love 21:9 but until all dev say 21:9 is a new standard i wont go back for a while (still got one in storage)

Man of Honour
One of the things with V-Sync is that the slightest blip in frames being provided results in dropping into either the buffered data sometimes rendering a duplicate frame and/or a drop to the next multiple of the framerate which can be extremely noticeable in terms of input lag at 60Hz. G-Sync pretty much eliminates this which makes playing around the 60fps point a far better experience.

Caporegime
What's the 'hassle' of 21:9?

Some games require an extra minute or 2 of faff, either:

- dll/activating a game profile via flawless widescreen

or

- adding/changing a few lines in a config file in the game directory

Personally I have had little issue with 21.9, all the following games work fine in 21.9

- doom 2016
- the division
- bf 3 and 4
- ori and the blind forest (I believe the definitive edition now has proper 21.9 support, the first version, I had to use flawless widescreen)
- hardline
- battlefront
- deadpool (flawless widescreen to fix the FOV)
- far cry 3 (flawless widescreen needed to fix the FOV)
- far cry 4
- far cry primal
- the last 3 batman games (not 100% sure on arkham asylum)
- assassins creed syndicate + unity
- fallout 4 (this required the most faff to get working via config files)
- superhot
- dying light
- last 2 wolfenstein games
- the witcher 3
- alien isolation
- bioshock infinite
- middle earth
- ryse son of rome
- tomb raider games
- watch dogs (required flawless widescreen)
- GTA 5
- dead rising 3 (flawless widescreen or config files)
- mirrors edge catalyst beta
- heroes of the storm (just got a patch adding it)

Most will still have the cutscenes in 16.9 (black bars at the sides) and the HUD is usually in the 16.9 position.

EDIT:

I've never had any crashes because of 21.9 or games not launching because of it, at least for all the games I have played..

Associate
Some games require an extra minute or 2 of faff, either:

- dll/activating a game profile via flawless widescreen

or

- adding/changing a few lines in a config file in the game directory

Personally I have had little issue with 21.9, all the following games work fine in 21.9

- doom 2016
- the division
- bf 3 and 4
- ori and the blind forest (I believe the definitive edition now has proper 21.9 support, the first version, I had to use flawless widescreen)
- hardline
- battlefront
- deadpool (flawless widescreen to fix the FOV)
- far cry 3 (flawless widescreen needed to fix the FOV)
- far cry 4
- far cry primal
- the last 3 batman games (not 100% sure on arkham asylum)
- assassins creed syndicate + unity
- fallout 4 (this required the most faff to get working via config files)
- superhot
- dying light
- last 2 wolfenstein games
- the witcher 3
- alien isolation
- bioshock infinite
- middle earth
- ryse son of rome
- tomb raider games
- watch dogs (required flawless widescreen)
- GTA 5
- dead rising 3 (flawless widescreen or config files)
- mirrors edge catalyst beta
- heroes of the storm (just got a patch adding it)

Most will still have the cutscenes in 16.9 (black bars at the sides) and the HUD is usually in the 16.9 position.

EDIT:

I've never had any crashes because of 21.9 or games not launching because of it, at least for all the games I have played..

Doing this does it correctly give you a larger FOV, or does it just stretch it to eliminate the black bars?

Soldato
Many games dont support it.

That's BS post it elsewhere. Do your homework before posting stuff like that.

if a game dont support it expect strecthed images/black bars on left and right or using a 16:9 resolution or what i had a year ago games crashing.... or not even launching

i love 21:9 but until all dev say 21:9 is a new standard i wont go back for a while (still got one in storage)

Never had a game crash due to 21:9 or a stretched image, I've found 2 games since I've had my X34 at launch and that was Unravel and Dark Souls 3, which where fixed within 7 days of release anyway. 90% of the time games even AAA ones support 21:9 out the box, for the other 10% you have to change text within a file or something simular, hardly a hardship for a superior experience.

As for people moaning about black bars (should you get them) on a 21:9, well what your left with is 16:9, excatly what you have if you sell your 21:9 and by a normal monitor!

One of the things with V-Sync is that the slightest blip in frames being provided results in dropping into either the buffered data sometimes rendering a duplicate frame and/or a drop to the next multiple of the framerate which can be extremely noticeable in terms of input lag at 60Hz. G-Sync pretty much eliminates this which makes playing around the 60fps point a far better experience.

I wouldn't even attempt 4k without G-sync.

Associate
It's a tempting purchase since the 1080 looks like it'll handle 3440x1440 with ease.

Only on two 24" 1920x1080 IPS monitors atm, so it'd be a hell of an upgrade for the main gaming monitor :D

Caporegime
Yeah definitely. 2160p is where it's at. Especially if online fps is not your thing.

Not many will fancy messing about with 21:9 :p;)

Doom works out of the box...

Wolfenstein

Fear

Loads and loads of games...

In fact the only problem I had was getting Doom 3 working which is a really old game so in essence again your spouting pap :p

Last edited:
Soldato
So being 'stuck at 60hz' is a negative for a 4k display, but not for a 21:9? I dont get it.

And I assure you many people do not think a 27" display is 'too small'. Mine is the perfect size. Plenty of people still use 23-24" monitors, too.

yes because the highest you can get on a 4k monitor best possible case is a 60hz Gsync, on 3440x1440 you can get 100hz Gsync which night and day better than 60hz. If you are happy with a small monitor then fine. I thought 27" was quite big at first, but did not find it immersive compared to playing on my TV, 34" ultrawide problem solved.

Literally almost every game works at 21:9 no problems at all, maybe have to do a quick fix for HUD or to make cutscenes 21:9, overall not a problem.

Last edited:

Mei

Mei

Soldato
Doom works out of the box...

Wolfenstein

Fear

Loads and loads of games...

In fact the only problem I had was getting Doom 3 working which is a really old game so in essence again your spouting pap :p

i dont think overwatch is supporting it yet?

Caporegime
yes because the highest you can get on a 4k monitor best possible case is a 60hz Gsync, on 3440x1440 you can get 100hz Gsync which night and day better than 60hz. If you are happy with a small monitor then fine. I thought 27" was quite big at first, but did not find it immersive compared to playing on my TV, 34" ultrawide problem solved.

Literally almost every game works at 21:9 no problems at all, maybe have to do a quick fix for HUD or to make cutscenes 21:9, overall not a problem.

Yeah 34 inch 2k Superwide Gsync is where it's at...

I could not go back to 16:9 now

Doom looks jaw droppingly good on my x34

And no faff whatsoever works straight out the box.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
i like my beta games, 21:9 feels like it goes in the same category as 2 gpu's right now
great when there is support!

mebe overwatch will add it soon, i think hots recently did

Soldato
Yeah 34 inch 2k Superwide Gsync is where it's at...

I could not go back to 16:9 now

Doom looks jaw droppingly good on my x34

And no faff whatsoever works straight out the box.

love the way you have to mention it involves no extra work say it all really :p

but i agree 21:9 is sexy as hell & back. i will jump shiop once its a real standard. Till then 4K :D

Had my 21:9 since Sleeping dogs released 2012?

Back
Top Bottom