The Football League Play-Offs ** spoilers ** [12th - 20th May 2016]

Caporegime
Have you enjoyed anyone's performance this season vs the might of Sheffield Wednesday?

I've seen some good football teams roll up and play well against Wednesday.

I find it hugely disappointing that the 'better' clubs in the League roll up against Wednesday and time waste, and defend. I just find it sad when these sides are capable of better.

Hull have impressed me this season; Bolton played better football against Wednesday than Brighton did, Leeds played better football, Brentford too.

Soldato
They were just overawed at playing the biggest club in the game world... And who can blame them. I hope they realise how grateful they should be to be able to play on the same pitch as them. I certainly felt honored just to be able to watch them.

Caporegime
Doesn't matter anyway, 'old Brucey is gonna turn Carlos into his bitch.

Heh, if Wednesday get to the play off final, regardless of result it has been an unbelievable season :cool:, played fantastic football throughout the majority of the season. Unbelievably good season regardless, would have taken a solid mid table finish at the start of the season.

Also; sacking another manager at United?! :o:confused:.

Caporegime
Fantastic half of football, if Brighton took their chances like Sheff Wed have done they could have had a cricket score.

Soldato
Typical game. Tons of chances, concede a nothing goal... We might have been top scorers but our strikers are crap. Baldock is terrified of having the ball in the box(he's not championship quality) and Wilson couldn't care less and seems to think it's his job to pass to the opposition keeper. Hemed can score tap ins when 3-4 players around him are having worldies, but otherwise he is no threat at all.

Thought Dunk was outstanding tonight, along with Bruno.

Shame such a great season ended like this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Never felt so knackered* after watching a game. Brighton were relentless in the 1st half. Wednesday are where they are because of players willing to have a go at conjuring something from nothing. The number of 25-30 yard plus goals they've got this season is quite amazing. Not watched Brighton much but they seemed to lack that.

*might have had something to with me watching the game from the cross trainer in the gym - 107 minutes and 3200 calories (according to the machine) is the longest cardio session I've done in a gym I think.

Soldato
When your luck is out anything can happen. I didn't really want Brighton to go up as Derby and Hull are both rubbish away days, but after watching them over the two legs then they were so hard done by. Four injuries in the first leg, playing most of the second half with only ten men and then putting together one of the most impressive 20 minute spells I think I've ever seen. They were relentless and Wednesday simply didn't know how to contain them.

I was thinking at the time that they're going to need to take one more chance in the first half in order to level it up, as Wednesday were always in with a chance based on how open BHA were. Unfortunately it was a complete fluke of a goal - which included quite an obvious foul - but you knew at that point that the tie was over. Albion were running on pure adrenaline and whilst this may have been able to last well into the second half if they were 2-0 at the break, you could see them visibly drain of hope when the equaliser went in.

Second half and they had a good crack but Wednesday were much more organised and defended brilliantly. Thought Bannan was excellent in that role last night.

Good luck to Wednesday - whilst I don't think you've deserved it over the season, the play-offs is another matter and I hope you trounce the other side in the final!

Caporegime
I thought Brighton were incredible in the first ~30~ minute of the first half, Wednesday looked shell shocked and were incredibly poor. Their first goal was fairly so-so, I thought they had better chances that didn't go in, either way, I thought Wednesday were fortunate to only concede one goal. Wallace's cross that went in (thought it was a fairly 'soft' foul, though I'd have personally given it) changed the game. I thought Brighton visibly drained after that goal went in, the crowd became more subdued.

Second half, Wednesday are always typically stronger, could not have gotten any worse than the first. Wednesday looked organised, Lees, Loovens, Westwood were excellent in the second half. Absolutely brilliant. Kept Brighton at bay, maybe not as comfortably as I would have liked, but I felt confident after five minutes of the second half :cool:.

Referee was poor, Dunk was unbelievable for Brighton. Westwood, Loovens, and Lees were excellent for Wednesday and Bannan and Fessi grew more in to the second half.

I'm not scared of any team in the Championship, it's the first time in memory that I can remember feeling like that. I expected a mid table finish this season, and would have been over the moon with top half to be honest. Incredible season, win or lose against Hull/Derby it has been unbelievable.

Hull are a good side, though I think we could do them in a one off match! Tickets for Wembley getting booked as soon as possible :D.

Associate
Game of ifs and buts however I don't think anyone could have complained if we were two goals to the good at least after the first 25 minutes and that would change to whole complexion of the game. Wednesday were much better after the break and closed us down a bit quicker coupled with us tiring a little, we have had so many big games over the last few weeks that injuries and tiredness were beginning to take its toll.

After last seasons shambles I would have been delighted to be anywhere near the playoffs however losing out by two goals for automatic is heartbreaking, we also only lost 5 games in the regular season and become the first side in 111 years to not be promoted with those stats!

I am however very proud of Chris and the team for the effort they have put in it all season and I could not have asked for more. It was great that for once our whole ground got behind the team and the atmosphere was good for both sets of fans. I didnt make the away game but my Dad and Brother said it was one of the loudest they had ever heard and full credit to Wednesdays fans, hopefully we created something similar for you guys last night.

best of luck in the final.

Soldato
Wallace's cross that went in (thought it was a fairly 'soft' foul, though I'd have personally given it) changed the game. I thought Brighton visibly drained after that goal went in, the crowd became more subdued.

It killed us. I was just turning to my mate saying we need to get another before half time as Wednesday would regroup for the second half and as I turned round the ball was is suddenly in the back of the net!...I was like 'erm, what just happened?'. If you fail to take good chances like we did though you will pay eventually
Talking to some Wednesday fans on the train home and they summed it up by saying that they simply gave everything in the first half and had nothing left after half time. Couple that with Wednesday getting more organised and the writing was on the wall.

Also, Just watched the Highlights on Sky. I don't know how Knockaert's free kick stayed out!

Hard to predict the Final. I'd be edging towards Hull sneaking it though.

Enjoy Wembley Tummy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hoping for Wednesday to get promoted as they use to be a big club and I haven't seen them in the BPL since I've been following football, Hillsborough is quite a nice stadium too.

Back
Top Bottom