• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How many of you are going to get a Broadwell-E CPU?

Soldato
Associate
Am I right in thinking the biggest difference between six core broadwell e and the 5820k will be power consumption and heat, with only a very small gain in performance the way things are looking?

Power consumption? I doubt it.

All in all it's the exact same CPU just rebranded.

Intel don't make any effort anymore whatsoever.

Caporegime
In theory. TDP hasn't changed much since Westmere, especially when overclocking.

Yes it has, Sandy Bridge kicks out a hell of a lot more heat than Ivy Bridge, temperatures have gone up mainly because the newer architectures seem to retain heat a lot more (3D transistors?). Power consumption has gone down with each new generation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes it has, Sandy Bridge kicks out a hell of a lot more heat than Ivy Bridge, temperatures have gone up mainly because the newer architectures seem to retain heat a lot more (3D transistors?). Power consumption has gone down with each new generation.
i7-2700K has 95 W TDP. i7-6700K has 91 W TDP.

Caporegime

The new archs have smaller dies, meaning heat production is concentrated and contact area for heat transfer is lower too.

Associate
I am going to look at it maybe like the 6850k ect and get a newer x99 board, I am liking the look of the new the carbon pro by msi, but truthfully not sure what to do still on z87 with 4770k and run good.

Associate
I may go for the 6850k in August as I plan on upgrading.

Does anyone predict a large price decrease on the 5820k or do you think they will hold their price until they're all sold out/EOL?

Also which motherboard would be best to go for sub £300?

Soldato
I may go for the 6850k in August as I plan on upgrading.

Does anyone predict a large price decrease on the 5820k or do you think they will hold their price until they're all sold out/EOL?

Also which motherboard would be best to go for sub £300?

Look at the prices 4790's still sell for. Don't expect prices to drop. For the most Intel just lets their chip supply dry up as they head towards eol and prices generally don't ho down much if at all as a result.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/70473-intel-core-i7-4790k-devils-canyon-22nm-haswell/

4790k launch price June 2014 circa £290

Now - ocuk price £275

Last edited:
Soldato
The 10 Core Broadwell-EP Xeon CPU's start at about £500, not good for overclocking but could be good for people that dont overclock.

Last edited:
Soldato
^^That's a very good price if the application warranted as many cores as that! Personally would want 6-8 plus higher clock speed

Back
Top Bottom