Sounds Bars

Associate
Hi folks, I asked this question in the sound city section but was advised to post here instead. So basically I'm looking to get a sound bar to put behind my monitor as I'm not keen on cables running all over the place from speakers. I don't really have much of an idea on which to buy as I haven't really been interested in them until now so any suggestions and reviews would be great to help me decide. :)

Associate
This Question really depends on budget. And what you want from it Sound bars. a lot of people will say go for Yamaha. Never had one myself but get decent reviews. Do you want a sub. Some bars come with a sub. But then some subs come big. Then if you want plenty of base for like music and movies but dont want a big Sub. There's Soundbase's which you sit your TV on top of. I have the Canton DM-55 soundbase sounds brilliant. But our TV is to big to sit on top of it so we sit on the shelf below. To get a decent soundbar or soundbase you want to be looking at £300 upwards. If you just want to upgrade the sound from the monitor then there is cheaper. Yamaha do some cheaper older models from the £150 - £200 Marc that a lot of people are happy with. Most yamaha models cheap or expensive will be in your local Richer Sounds where you can pop in for a demo and get advice on what sounds and suits your needs

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Hey, the following is great. One of my colleagues took a sample home for the weekend and couldn't rave about it enough. He had a Bose one and said the difference was minimal so for the price difference it's a no-brainer.

FYI this will have a price drop on Wednesday in the "This Week Only" section. Can't tell you what the discount will be but it gives you a few days to check out some other reviews. Let me know if you want any more info.

Edifier Cinesound B7 - RMS 107W with Bluetooth @ £249.95 inc VAT

SP030ER_135960_800x800.png

CineSound B7 provides a robust entertainment experience from a sophisticated home theatre system which uses a metre long soundbar coupled with an 8-inch subwoofer. The B7 comes versatile connectivity including Bluetooth 4.0 and Optical, coaxial, RCA Line-In, and 3.5mm auxiliary inputs along with a Smart Standby feature which kicks in after 10 minutes of inactivity.

Home Entertainment
Edifier has heightened your home theatre experience. Improving on the B3 soundbar, Edifier has created CineSound B7. Designed for your entertainment needs, the B7 Bluetooth soundbar is now accompanied with a subwoofer. It’s time to start watching all those movies on your to-do list.

Amplified Sound
Featuring an 8” subwoofer, Edifier’s B7 is introducing you to a new movie theatre experience from the comfort of your home. Designed with a 2-¾ inch aluminium diaphragm mid-range and ¾ inch silk dome, your audio will be boasting. Engineered with a tri-amplifying system to expand every sound from your TV or gaming system. Distortion is a thing of the past with the Digital Signal Processing and Dynamic Range Control built-in to the CineSound B7.

Thin And Sleek
Smooth and slim, the B7 Bluetooth soundbar is designed for elegance and entertainment. Its metre long design incorporates four speaker units and two tweeters for luxurious performance. A built-in smart feature knows when a movie or TV show finishes and after 10 minutes of inactivity sets Edifier’s B7 on standby.

Regulate Every Sound
Adjust the CineSound B7 to what your ears desire. With built-in controls on the soundbar, easily adjust volume, power and input selection or use the wireless remote. Edifier’s Bluetooth B7 also features three presets. With a simple click your sound is set for watching movies, the news or surround sound.

Multiple Connection Options
Designed for your home needs, easily connect any device with the versatile options the B7 provides. Its Bluetooth 4.0 capability allows you to connect any Bluetooth-enabled device to your speaker. Its 10-metre range lets you place the device anywhere you want without loosing connection. Connect multiple devices at the same time through optical, coaxial, AUX or through 2 RCA analogue audio inputs. You have the freedom to connect your TV and DVD at the same time.

Specifications:
- Total Power Output: RMS 16Wx2(Treble)+19Wx2(Mid-range and bass 75W)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: >85dBA
- Frequency Response: 48Hz~20KHz(±6dB)
- Input Sensitivity: Line in:700±50mV, AUX:550±50mV, AUX:550±50mV
- Input Type: Auxiliary/Line in/Coaxial/Optical/Bluetooth
- Bass Driver: 2 3/4"(700mm)
- Treble Driver: 3/4" (19mm) silk dome tweeter
- Subwoofer Driver: 8" (210mm)
- Speaker Dimensions: 1000x79x80mm
- Box Dimensions: 1085x645x351mm

Only £249.95 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Last edited:
Soldato
Placement seems odd; behind a monitor. Sure it will still work, but depending on what you're looking at spending, there's no point getting a really nice one only to go and place it behind something.

If you're looking for some fairly good bass for gaming, rather than just a soundbar that produces better sound quality than the average TV speaker, then you'll need one with a subwoofer. More expensive ones will put out more bass without a subwoofer, but then we come back to the location problem; no point in putting a good one behind something.

Of course, by betting one with a subwoofer, you'll end up with the cables everywhere, that you want to avoid; or to put it another way, the amount of cables will be no different to just getting 2.1 PC speakers or stereo speakers.

Associate
OP
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm not to fussed about a sub and I know bass will be deeper with one. As for cable management I can keep tidy but would prefer minimal cables. Placement of the bar wouldn't be much of an issue, would think it would just look better but I could easily place it in front of my monitor. Nik, I quite like the look of that edifier has more than enough connection methods for what I was looking for :)

Associate
Looks ok Soundbar that edifier. But looks and sound are 2 different things. i would never buy something like this offline without listening to it first what sounds good to one sounds poor to another. Better off getting advice from somewhere like richer sounds and getting demo's then taking someones word on the net. Even though Nik is helping and i doubt it will sound awful edifier do have a decent rep in there sound

Associate
OP
Looks ok Soundbar that edifier. But looks and sound are 2 different things. i would never buy something like this offline without listening to it first what sounds good to one sounds poor to another. Better off getting advice from somewhere like richer sounds and getting demo's then taking someones word on the net. Even though Nik is helping and i doubt it will sound awful edifier do have a decent rep in there sound

Okay, I'll need to have a look and see what's near to me. Otherwise I'll need to head in to Glasgow

Associate
Okay, I'll need to have a look and see what's near to me. Otherwise I'll need to head in to Glasgow

If its hard to get Demo's then you can always look around on different forum's if you can take pics of the room where you want to place the Soundbar. It gives people a good idea of the room and what might suit you best. Youtube has loads of info exc and sound demo's of various Soundbars. But then again placement is different for everybody 1 soundbar may sound good in one home not in another. It really is pot luck to get something that you like

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm not to fussed about a sub and I know bass will be deeper with one. As for cable management I can keep tidy but would prefer minimal cables. Placement of the bar wouldn't be much of an issue, would think it would just look better but I could easily place it in front of my monitor. Nik, I quite like the look of that edifier has more than enough connection methods for what I was looking for :)

I don't know if you clicked on Nik's link, but that Edifier has a subwoofer. They do make some good speakers, Edifier, so I'd expect that to be decent as well.

As nicknack said, perhaps best to visit your nearest Richer Sounds store in Glasgow, and see if you can demo some soundbars. You'll get an idea then of what you can expect in your price range, and whether you might want one with a subwoofer or not.

Associate
OP
I have a rough idea where the richer sounds is in Glasgow so I'll pop in over the weekend, I know different systems will sound different per room. My rig is in the bedroom so it'll be different still with the contents in the room. Marsman, I did have a look at it and seen it includes a sub.

Again, thanks to everyone for their input, much appreciated :)

Soldato
I spent an eternity researching soundbars. Must have decided on 4 different models and was close to pulling the trigger on multiple occasions.

In the end I did not get a soundbar, opted for Q Acoustics BT3 Speakers. Very happy I avoided a bar.

Associate
There is a few good soundbars and soundbases out at the minute. My canton dm-55 is fantastic Music and Films sound great. Was listening to some music via soundcloud on kodi today and was excellent. Clear vocals deep punchy bass. Really impressed for £330

Associate
OP
I spent an eternity researching soundbars. Must have decided on 4 different models and was close to pulling the trigger on multiple occasions.

In the end I did not get a soundbar, opted for Q Acoustics BT3 Speakers. Very happy I avoided a bar.

What made you decide against getting one?

There is a few good soundbars and soundbases out at the minute. My canton dm-55 is fantastic Music and Films sound great. Was listening to some music via soundcloud on kodi today and was excellent. Clear vocals deep punchy bass. Really impressed for £330

Do you have any other suggestions or even reviews for me to look at by any chance?

Associate
OP
Hey, the following is great. One of my colleagues took a sample home for the weekend and couldn't rave about it enough. He had a Bose one and said the difference was minimal so for the price difference it's a no-brainer.

FYI this will have a price drop on Wednesday in the "This Week Only" section. Can't tell you what the discount will be but it gives you a few days to check out some other reviews. Let me know if you want any more info.

Edifier Cinesound B7 - RMS 107W with Bluetooth @ £249.95 inc VAT

SP030ER_135960_800x800.png

CineSound B7 provides a robust entertainment experience from a sophisticated home theatre system which uses a metre long soundbar coupled with an 8-inch subwoofer. The B7 comes versatile connectivity including Bluetooth 4.0 and Optical, coaxial, RCA Line-In, and 3.5mm auxiliary inputs along with a Smart Standby feature which kicks in after 10 minutes of inactivity.

Home Entertainment
Edifier has heightened your home theatre experience. Improving on the B3 soundbar, Edifier has created CineSound B7. Designed for your entertainment needs, the B7 Bluetooth soundbar is now accompanied with a subwoofer. It’s time to start watching all those movies on your to-do list.

Amplified Sound
Featuring an 8” subwoofer, Edifier’s B7 is introducing you to a new movie theatre experience from the comfort of your home. Designed with a 2-¾ inch aluminium diaphragm mid-range and ¾ inch silk dome, your audio will be boasting. Engineered with a tri-amplifying system to expand every sound from your TV or gaming system. Distortion is a thing of the past with the Digital Signal Processing and Dynamic Range Control built-in to the CineSound B7.

Thin And Sleek
Smooth and slim, the B7 Bluetooth soundbar is designed for elegance and entertainment. Its metre long design incorporates four speaker units and two tweeters for luxurious performance. A built-in smart feature knows when a movie or TV show finishes and after 10 minutes of inactivity sets Edifier’s B7 on standby.

Regulate Every Sound
Adjust the CineSound B7 to what your ears desire. With built-in controls on the soundbar, easily adjust volume, power and input selection or use the wireless remote. Edifier’s Bluetooth B7 also features three presets. With a simple click your sound is set for watching movies, the news or surround sound.

Multiple Connection Options
Designed for your home needs, easily connect any device with the versatile options the B7 provides. Its Bluetooth 4.0 capability allows you to connect any Bluetooth-enabled device to your speaker. Its 10-metre range lets you place the device anywhere you want without loosing connection. Connect multiple devices at the same time through optical, coaxial, AUX or through 2 RCA analogue audio inputs. You have the freedom to connect your TV and DVD at the same time.

Specifications:
- Total Power Output: RMS 16Wx2(Treble)+19Wx2(Mid-range and bass 75W)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: >85dBA
- Frequency Response: 48Hz~20KHz(±6dB)
- Input Sensitivity: Line in:700±50mV, AUX:550±50mV, AUX:550±50mV
- Input Type: Auxiliary/Line in/Coaxial/Optical/Bluetooth
- Bass Driver: 2 3/4"(700mm)
- Treble Driver: 3/4" (19mm) silk dome tweeter
- Subwoofer Driver: 8" (210mm)
- Speaker Dimensions: 1000x79x80mm
- Box Dimensions: 1085x645x351mm

Only £249.95 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Sorry for the double post, Nik do you know what the deal price will be on this and when it goes live yet?

Soldato
Been looking at bars and bases myself. One thing regarding the bases - obvious the TV is supposed to sit on top of them which seems a little neater than putting a bar in front of the TV stand and you also don't need a separate sub but wouldn't they make the entire TV vibrate/shake?

I'm looking to get a Sony 55XD9305 in the next month and looking to get a bar or base with it and some places (not sure on competitor mentions in here) are doing decent offers such as the Sony CT380 bar + sub for about £44. I know it may not be the best bar in the world and has just been superseded by the CT390 but surely you can't really go wrong for £44 if you just want a step up from the TV's own sound?

Last edited:
Associate
Been looking at bars and bases myself. One thing regarding the bases - obvious the TV is supposed to sit on top of them which seems a little neater than putting a bar in front of the TV stand and you also don't need a separate sub but wouldn't they make the entire TV vibrate/shake?

I'm looking to get a Sony 55XD9305 in the next month and looking to get a bar or base with it and some places (not sure on competitor mentions in here) are doing decent offers such as the Sony CT380 bar + sub for about £44. I know it may not be the best bar in the world and has just been superseded by the CT390 but surely you can't really go wrong for £44 if you just want a step up from the TV's own sound?

It should give you better sound. But why waste £44 i really don't see much benefit its going to give for that money id save and put it towards something better. for something that is going to give you a upgrade then you really should be looking at £150 upwards that will last couple of years and give you something better for films. If you want something that's going to give you all round performance for films music and general TV then £300 upwards

Associate
That sounds an ok deal. But id look for reviews on it just to see how much of a good deal it is just to be sure. It should be decent if its a £200 soundbar though. Good deals like this there is normally a catch

Soldato
Like I said I just want something a bit better than TV sound. Have had a listen to it in-store and sounded decent enough.

I don't think there's a "catch" a such, I think it's mainly a case of the models on offer (CT380 and CT780) having just been superseded by newer ones (CT390 and CT790) so they're obviously looking to shift old stock.

Back
Top Bottom