Oculus Rift

Associate
I guess we all got on the same batch mines here tomorrow. Unfortunately im enjoying the VIVE so much i cant really see any reason to keep it, be like going backwards not being able to use hands and walk about :(

I'd appreciate another persons comparison between the two headsets when you get it, do you have Elite or PCars by any chance?

I cancelled my Rift, and while I don't think I made a mistake at all by keeping my Vive, I'm just curious about what you will think of it.

Caporegime
Mine arrived just after 1pm and I did an unboxing vid (probably going to come out poor though) and have set it up and had a bit of a play.

Set-up was very easy and it just worked with no issues at all, so far I am impressed with the screen door effect, especially as it isn't that much of a higher res over the DK2 and I found the DK2 to really stand out, so a good plus for that. Light gets in a fair chunk but I can sort that easy enough, sound is surprisingly good and far better than I was expecting. Nice bass and nice highs, so a comfortable mix. Not as good as my Techica cans but hey, I wasn't expecting the sound to be this good, so another plus there. It is lighter than the DK2 and easier to fit and moving the lenses is much easier as well.

First early impressions is very very good and better than I was expecting :)

Associate
Mine arrived just after 1pm and I did an unboxing vid (probably going to come out poor though) and have set it up and had a bit of a play.

Set-up was very easy and it just worked with no issues at all, so far I am impressed with the screen door effect, especially as it isn't that much of a higher res over the DK2 and I found the DK2 to really stand out, so a good plus for that. Light gets in a fair chunk but I can sort that easy enough, sound is surprisingly good and far better than I was expecting. Nice bass and nice highs, so a comfortable mix. Not as good as my Techica cans but hey, I wasn't expecting the sound to be this good, so another plus there. It is lighter than the DK2 and easier to fit and moving the lenses is much easier as well.

First early impressions is very very good and better than I was expecting :)

Very nice greg, looking forward to getting mine may do a unbox ingredients as well.

Associate
My Rift has arrived, First impressions WOW! Second, the fit is OK with my glasses. Third, field of view is narrow, SDE noticeable but...I don't bloody care. This has to be the future :D:D:D

Soldato
My quick play with the Rift tonight has made me glad I kept the order, even though I have the Vive.

I find the optics better and overall more clear, even if the FoV isn't as big as the Vive.
Ergonomics of the headset are fantastic, feels like there is pretty much nothing on your head.
Tracking for seating I have found to be far superior to the Vive, but I've not had a massive chance to test yet.
Integrated audio is a very good thing I think, and is something the Vive sorely misses.
Really looking forward for the Touch controllers to arrive, as it's something that adds to the experience massively.

I'm also glad that I have contact lenses, as it seems a bit more tight with glasses compared to the Vive.

Soldato
no, the fill is higher - there is quite literally less space between the pixels.

This illustration someone put up on imager shows quite well how resolution and screen door effect aren't necessarily linked - the top image shows a higher resolution (i.e. more pixels) but due to the gap the screen door effect is much more significant that the lower resolution display with smaller gap

ORXUbRK.png

So while the DK2 wasn't higher resolution, that image hopefully shows how the SDE is reduced in the CV1

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone run into problems updating the firmware on the sensor? Mine popped up last night saying an update was available. Tried to update and the first time it crashed my machine, running Win10. After it rebooted I tried again a few times. It looks as though it is doing it, Oculus app restarts but it always comes back and says firmware update required. Tried logging in on my Admin account, running the Oculus app and updating but that didn't work either.

Unfortunately my default view is now screwed up, the menus in Oculus home and elsewhere that should be in front of me when looking dead ahead are now off to the right. The option to reset is not available because it wants me to update the sensor firmware first. I tried searching around for an answer last night but time was getting on. Is a reinstallation on the cards?

Edit: Just looking on the Oculus forums looks like cold boot may fix or swapping around the USB ports it is plugged into. Will find out when I get home.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom