Poll: This is why i dislike social media

Is it ok to take the photo and share it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-36322279

In my opinion, this photo should have never been taken let alone posted on the internet.

According to the link the child was increadibly ill with salmonela poisoning so the father was keeping him in the shower to try and bring his temperature down and to easily remove sick etc. Yet the mother found time instead of worrying how potentially ill her child was decided to take a picture of the moment and post it on social media

My partner did a similar thing when my child was in hospital and id beeen sent home for the night (only one over night visitor) she took a pic of my very ill daughter and posted it on facebook. Needles to say this almost ended our relationship and the picture was removed.

Anyone actually think this is ok?

Caporegime
It is just the way of the world these days... I think moments like that should be kept private, Just because it is a powerful moment doesn't mean everyone needs to know about it...

Soldato
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-36322279

In my opinion, this photo should have never been taken let alone posted on the internet.

According to the link the child was increadibly ill with salmonela poisoning so the father was keeping him in the shower to try and bring his temperature down and to easily remove sick etc. Yet the mother found time instead of worrying how potentially ill her child was decided to take a picture of the moment and post it on social media

My partner did a similar thing when my child was in hospital and id beeen sent home for the night (only one over night visitor) she took a pic of my very ill daughter and posted it on facebook. Needles to say this almost ended our relationship.

Anyone actually think this is ok?
I don't think there's anything wrong with what's in the photo like some people seem to, but yes i agree the fact a picture was taken in the first place is a bit ridiculous. People feel the need to post every single thing on the internet these days.

Don
I think it's a beautiful photograph. It shows both the fragility of the child and the love of the father.
As to whether it's appropriate for Facebook and the like, sure, why not.

Man of Honour
Yet the mother found time instead of worrying how potentially ill her child was decided to take a picture of the moment and post it on social media

Well according to the article, she wasn't in hospital until later after the photo was taken, so maybe she didn't realise just how sick she was.

But you're right OP, this is why I hate social media, people like you who are up in arms about the most inane things :p. It's a touching photo and well taken.

I do however agree that photos of sick children in hospital posted on social media is wrong, unless of course it's an awareness thing such as the meningitis photos that were released not long ago

Soldato
Couldnt agree more with you.

I fail to see how people think this is normal. I have 2 cousins who I have completely changed my opinion about as they are constantly posting photos of my last living Aunt (who is basically dying in hospital and weighing less than 5 stone)
Its just not right and considering she has been unable to talk for the last few weeks makes it even worse that she is getting paraded on Facebook even without her consent.

Soldato
OP
Ive got nothing wrong with the picture as it is. The fact that it was taken when the child was ill is wrong. Looking at my phone or taking a picture wouldnt have even registered

Soldato
From the article

"But for some people the image is inappropriate at best and at worst has undertones of paedophilia."

Really? Who on earth is thinking that??

I was wondering that as well but when reading further on the naked female and child apparantly recieved nothing but praise suggests it's an assumption a naked male and child equates to paedo regardless of context.

Personally I think it's a lovely photo once knowing the context. Although if I'd seen such a photo without context I'd probably be wondering wth and reported it for someone else to decide. I do question the need to share a photo of it publically.

Associate
For me, people can take photos of whatever they like (subject to laws) and post them wherever they like. Nobody has the right to police what photos people want to take and share on their own facebook page.

Soldato
im in the same boat as others. shouldnt have been posted to social media but i see nothing wrong with the image. its such a sad world we live in these days.

Associate
Bit of a blanket statement there from the OP. Like with most things in life I wish people could apply a bit more common sense.
That picture is quite touching and don't see anything wrong with it really. But as another poster above said, taking pictures of the decline of a terminally ill relative isn't so cool.

What about the chap who had the time to take a pic of the fellow stood in front of the tank in Tiananmen Square? Or of those children in Vietnam fleeing naked through the streets? Where do you draw the line?

Back
Top Bottom