• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
I think Zen is going to be special and actually a ground shaking moment for AMD, I am buying into the hype as I think they are going to surprise everyone with the performance.

Only thing that worries me is the price and AMD trying to shake off the budget brand moniker

Hopefully it's a beast of a cpu and they release it at a price that gives people no alternative but to buy it instead of an Intel chip, I mean in as far almost skylake performance, more cores and same region of price as the skylake.

If they pull that off Intel have to come back at them, faster and cheaper, and we as consumers win

Caporegime
I think Zen is going to be special and actually a ground shaking moment for AMD, I am buying into the hype as I think they are going to surprise everyone with the performance.

Only thing that worries me is the price and AMD trying to shake off the budget brand moniker

Hopefully it's a beast of a cpu and they release it at a price that gives people no alternative but to buy it instead of an Intel chip, I mean in as far almost skylake performance, more cores and same region of price as the skylake.

If they pull that off Intel have to come back at them, faster and cheaper, and we as consumers win

Well, there not going to give them away, they need to make money to stay in the game.

They will be cheaper than Intel equivalents but more expensive than AMD's current crop of CPU's, if they are near as good as Intel's chips then rightfully so.
This apparently is what everyone wanted, cheaper Intel equivalents from AMD.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd love it to be competitive and keenly priced aswell but IDK, they have gone a long time with an uncompetitive product and low prices.. can they really afford to be agressive on price or are they going to have to charge as much as they can get away with whatever the performance is.

Soldato
You have to charge to proper price. If you need 40% profit then thats what you need. Go under or over that and you give the company problems.

Caporegime
Well, there not going to give them away, they need to make money to stay in the game.

They will be cheaper than Intel equivalents but more expensive than AMD's current crop of CPU's, if they are near as good as Intel's chips then rightfully so.
This apparently is what everyone wanted, cheaper Intel equivalents from AMD.

Certainly when buying brand new systems etc, and upgrading from older chips.
I've never been under any illusions on price, AMD have priced things at top dollar even when they're firmly behind.

Caporegime
How long ago are you talking.

Well, their whole 3XX/Fury X prices. Fury X came out way later than a 980Ti and frankly was for most people the inferior card out of the two (That said, I'd take a Fury X over a 980Ti)
The 390X lowered AMD's price/performance in comparison to the 290X (Which is the same card, bar 4GB VRAM).

And the FX9XXX were LOL priced.

When AMD were at their weakest when they launched the FX8150 it was priced at the i7 2600K.

If AMD have a solid product, it won't be cheap.

Alas you'll probably bring up your A10's price point.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 390 cards come in well under Nvidia's prices and the performance is about the same. Same goes for the Fury. With the lastest API you could see both as better options TBH.

FX chips might have been a bit hit and miss at launch. I didn't really notice but again they compared reasonably well with first round of Core i chips.

Saying AMD charge top dollar for lesser performance is silly. You could say some of the motherboard prices are high maybe.

Soldato
AMD just need to come up with 8 cores 16 threads that is a good deal faster than my 2500k for <£200 and I'm sold. Whether that is doable I'll wait and see.

Soldato
AMD just need to come up with 8 cores 16 threads that is a good deal faster than my 2500k for <£200 and I'm sold. Whether that is doable I'll wait and see.

Why would it be less than £200 when that's far below Intel equivalents? That's the thing I don't get. Zen might be great, but don't expect it to be far lower priced than Intel's offerings.

Soldato
My predictions

Nice performance, nothing to trouble Intel's top offerings
Good perf/watt
Massive pre-launch hype from the community
Sense of disappointment when benchmarks drop
Priced within spitting distance of equivalent performance Core CPUs

Want to be wrong...

Back
Top Bottom