Wales

Soldato
If you're planning on doing lots of 'proper' touring, hard panniers are the way to go really.You can always then stick a top box and/or soft bags on top for even more storage.

Soldato
OP
If you're planning on doing lots of 'proper' touring, hard panniers are the way to go really.You can always then stick a top box and/or soft bags on top for even more storage.

Yep, that's why i just had a "**** it" moment, as i've been saying about panniers for a couple of years now. So hard case panniers it is.

The Givi mount has an indicator bracket to extend them out further. I'll need to make up a bracket to do the same on the tail tidy. We should be able to make something up at the workshop at work though.

Associate
I just started plotting a loop around Wales at the weekend on google then realised you can't actually use google maps for turn-by-turn if you're not just going point to point.

So my question is to anyone using their phone for navigation what app do you use to get turn-by-turn when you've plotted a nice scenic route?

Having done some research and testing it seems Copilot could potentially do the job as you can plot a route then once it's calculated it just drag it around to the way you actually want to go but I'm be interested if anyone has a better solution.

Soldato
Proper satnav is a better solution :p

Seriously though, I've not tried all the phone satnav variants, but most will be a compromise. At lease google maps now has proper offline navigation, when I went to wales it didn't have that feature, no signal meant no directions.

The ability to accurately plan your exact route then transfer it to the tomtom is great.

Soldato
OP
I just started plotting a loop around Wales at the weekend on google then realised you can't actually use google maps for turn-by-turn if you're not just going point to point.

So my question is to anyone using their phone for navigation what app do you use to get turn-by-turn when you've plotted a nice scenic route?

Having done some research and testing it seems Copilot could potentially do the job as you can plot a route then once it's calculated it just drag it around to the way you actually want to go but I'm be interested if anyone has a better solution.

With Google, you can see in the OP that i've done point to point to point etc etc. Then set the route between the points as best as possible to achieve what i wanted.

Associate
Proper satnav is a better solution :p

Seriously though, I've not tried all the phone satnav variants, but most will be a compromise. At lease google maps now has proper offline navigation, when I went to wales it didn't have that feature, no signal meant no directions.

The ability to accurately plan your exact route then transfer it to the tomtom is great.

A proper satnav would be the ideal solution but after just buying a new bike I can't justify the expense of a TomTom Rider just yet :( I did hope my Garmin would do the job but as it just a basic unit it doesn't have bluetooth so would be useless on the bike.

Copilot does have offline navigation also but I would have to spend £20 or so for the proper version, I don't mind doing that but was just seeing if anyone had used anything else they where happy with.

Ideally I'd like to plot the route on my pc then transfer it like you can do with a tomtom, it seems like it may be possible with copilot but is a bit convoluted.

With Google, you can see in the OP that i've done point to point to point etc etc. Then set the route between the points as best as possible to achieve what i wanted.

That's what I was doing originally, I had a nice little 90 mile loop around the North of Wales all plotted out then realised when I finished I couldn't use it for turn-by-turn navigation. It's good for having an overall view of the route you plan on taking but as I have a terrible sense of direction I really wanted directions through my helmet :)

Man of Honour
Use a piece of paper in the transparent part of your tank bag.

That seems to be how my mates do all their multi-day multi-country tours anyway.

More realistically I would plan segments of the route (point A to point B for navigation, not multi-point) and save them as bookmarks on the phone, then open them in turn as they are needed in Google Maps.

Soldato
OP
So GetGeared and Givi have let me down on the pannier side. So I've just ordered from amazon and should get the panniers and GIT2 camera Tuesday/Wednesday.
Hopefully there's not much faffing required. I know there's going to be a bit where the rear indicators are concerned as the panniers have a bracket to remount the indicators, but I've got a tail tidy.

Associate
I had the same rack on my 650F if, you'd posted this a few months earlier you could have had the rack before I sold the bike :(. It's a doddle to fit but mine rusted in a few places after a year on the bike, that said its outside all year round just kept under a rain cover.
Are you running LED indicators? If so and they don't stick out as far as the OEMs you may not need to move them.

Soldato
OP
I had the same rack on my 650F if, you'd posted this a few months earlier you could have had the rack before I sold the bike :(. It's a doddle to fit but mine rusted in a few places after a year on the bike, that said its outside all year round just kept under a rain cover.
Are you running LED indicators? If so and they don't stick out as far as the OEMs you may not need to move them.

Balls.

Thanks for the heads up on the indicators, hopefully all will be good. I only have a few days from getting the kit and riding out, so i really hope it all just fits! :p

Back
Top Bottom