The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
I'm enjoying mine. I love the blacks with no light bleed at all. The monitor has its quirks with some color banding but overall I like my Philips. The new one, BDM4350UC, is now available in some parts but it's using IPS screens. I know IPS is better for gaming but I have no complaints with games. I play PCARS and I don't experience any lag.

Associate
Ok, Think i need to resurrect this thread as i need a bit of help from the other owners on here.

Has anyone had any issues with their philips in regards to the screen randomly going black?.

mine seems to inconsistently drop out around 5 times or more a day and its driving me batty. ESPECIALLY when half way through a game and then POW! screen goes black for 3-4 seconds and just comes back on like nothing happened 0_0.

Any assistance or thoughts would be massively appreciated as i dont fancy having to return this to Philips for a warranty repair.

Associate
Yes, mine did that and progressively got worse until it no longer came on at all. Tried all the usual stuff like drivers and cables, but made no difference. Got it replaced through OcUK.

Associate
interesting to see this isnt isolated at least. thanks for getting back to me so fast ketma.

Really wish i could get mine replaced through OCUK too. i contacted them a few days back but as it was over 30 days since i purchased it, they told me i could only go direct through phillips.

Associate
Odd they told you you could only go direct, mine failed several months after the problem started, I contacted Phillips as well but OcUK were MUCH faster on the replacement - 1 week, you really can't fault that for service.

I'd raise a ticket in their customer support section.

Associate
Hmm thanks moog!, might give that a try actually, although im not usually one for using outdated drivers. usually like having that up to date to get the best out of games and using the 362 driver from now on to stop the black screening might end up biting me in the rear end in the future if i have to stick with it.

Associate
Mine went black after a year due to its capacitors blowing. I replaced my capacitors with 68UF 12.5X50 Rubycon ALUMINUM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS 68uf/450v from our favorite auction site and I feel good! I like my BDM4065 monitor. Love the blacks with no light bleed. I couldn't let this monitor go.

Soldato
Really wish i could get mine replaced through OCUK too. i contacted them a few days back but as it was over 30 days since i purchased it, they told me i could only go direct through phillips.

They can't tell you that if its faulty. It's against the terms of the Sales of Goods Act. You have a choice to go through the original shop, or direct to the manufacturer. They may advise you to go direct to the manufacturer, as it may be quicker.

But the legality of it is that you have formed a contract of sale between you and the shop for the purchase. The shop cannot refuse, as that would in turn cause a breach of the terms of contract.

The Sales of Goods Act also, offers protection for up to 6 years on certain goods. Although, the longer the time frame, the harder it is to claim.

Associate
They can't tell you that if its faulty. It's against the terms of the Sales of Goods Act. You have a choice to go through the original shop, or direct to the manufacturer. They may advise you to go direct to the manufacturer, as it may be quicker.

But the legality of it is that you have formed a contract of sale between you and the shop for the purchase. The shop cannot refuse, as that would in turn cause a breach of the terms of contract.

The Sales of Goods Act also, offers protection for up to 6 years on certain goods. Although, the longer the time frame, the harder it is to claim.

thanks for this!. ill have a word with ocuk in the morning . appreciate it!

Associate

Well, just as an update, and after a bit of back and forwards chat with ocuk and all that, i still cannot return the monitor to OCUK direct, they are adamant that it has to go to the manufacturer still.

Apparently the 6 year thing is the time you have to take a warranty claim to court if the retailer refuses to repair or replace a fault if identified within a reasonable time after purchase.. around 30 days or so from what im told.

quite frustrating as the philips process will take a long time. coupled with the fact i dont have a spare monitor at all and i have just been made redundant, im essentially going to be without a pc until philips can sort the issue :(

Dosent help that its getting worse either.. now sometimes takes half a minute just to turn on and sometimes just ...crashes with a garbled screen. :(

Associate
Well, just as an update, and after a bit of back and forwards chat with ocuk and all that, i still cannot return the monitor to OCUK direct, they are adamant that it has to go to the manufacturer still.

Apparently the 6 year thing is the time you have to take a warranty claim to court if the retailer refuses to repair or replace a fault if identified within a reasonable time after purchase.. around 30 days or so from what im told.

quite frustrating as the philips process will take a long time. coupled with the fact i dont have a spare monitor at all and i have just been made redundant, im essentially going to be without a pc until philips can sort the issue :(

Dosent help that its getting worse either.. now sometimes takes half a minute just to turn on and sometimes just ...crashes with a garbled screen. :(
Don't know the cause of your problem but I will mention my monitor went black when my capacitors went bad. I'm typing this message using the same monitor. I replaced my power board and also replaced the capacitors the board came with to prevent this from happening again. I'm no technician but can solder which is what saved my monitor.

My original capacitors busted on my power board. They looked rounded at the ends.

Associate
I would be gutted if mine fail.

I use mine for work / watching movies / browsing and light gaming.

I was interested in the newer version then read the horror stories across different forums regarding it.

I might upgrade to a 38 inch Ultra widescreen end of this year or next year though and use this as a second monitor.

Associate
Well, Actually quite surprised in the end!. finally logged a repair/replace request with philips and it was pretty damned painless despite being initially told by them to go back to the retailer twice.

Logged issue in less than 10 mins, dpd are coming to pick up the faulty monitor on monday and at the same time they are delivering a brand new replacement on the spot.

Quite pleased all in all!.

Back
Top Bottom