Win10 start menu and task bar stopped working

Associate
After reboot the other day its all gone wrong. Tried some stuff in powershell ad cmd sfc but nothing works?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
To quote marc2003 out of context:

marc2003 said:
It's pre-alpha software masquerading as a finished product. What do you expect? :p

I've had stuff like that happen on a few of my Windows 10 installs or occur at certain points - for some reason 1-2 PCs seem more prone to it than others - sometimes the only way I've fully resolved it (for awhile - it seems to come back some weeks or months later) is to do a reinstall of Windows.

Associate
OP
Uh doing a reinstall would be hassle but thats what its looking like. I'm hoping it will resolve itself in time with an update.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
See if your Windows created a system restore point and if it did, then restore back to a date you know it was working.

I've had this happen to many machines at work now and no amount of "fixes" sort it, powershell or otherwise. Only a Windows 10 reset fixes it.

In the interim I've just installed Classic Shell on those PCs and on my own PC at home I use Classic Shell and manually create a System Restore point regularly just in-case the taskbar right click stops working (a side affect of the start menu stopping too).

Luckily I've not had the issue show up on my own PC yet, though I've been using Classic Shell since day 1. Maybe there's a correlation here.

Restore yours, otherwise reset it, then install Classic Shell.

Caporegime
Reboot fixes it.

Bizarrely, the only computer I've seen this happen on is one running the normal public release of 10. My machines on the Previews don't seem to suffer from it.

That may just be because Windows is effectively "reinstalled" quite often though?

Man of Honour
Some machines seem more susceptible to it than others dunno why - reboot doesn't always fix it - don't think I've seen a single instance of it so far on my Windows 10 tablet but the old Q9550 system I've had 10 on was doing it every few weeks/months - at first a reboot might solve it but eventually there was nothing but a reinstall that would work - though I got bored of looking for fixes. One of my VM installs does similar but the other for some reason it rarely happens and does go back to normal after a restart and they are almost clones of each other.

Caporegime
Some machines seem more susceptible to it than others dunno why - reboot doesn't always fix it - don't think I've seen a single instance of it so far on my Windows 10 tablet but the old Q9550 system I've had 10 on was doing it every few weeks/months - at first a reboot might solve it but eventually there was nothing but a reinstall that would work - though I got bored of looking for fixes. One of my VM installs does similar but the other for some reason it rarely happens and does go back to normal after a restart and they are almost clones of each other.

Every few weeks? Your lucky. My laptop feels like it does it every few days!

Soldato
I had this when I tried to rip the Cortana and Onedrive crapware out of the operating system.

I couldn't get it fixed, the only time it went away was with a clean install, then as soon as I tried to remove the above it was back again.

Man of Honour
Every few weeks? Your lucky. My laptop feels like it does it every few days!

I get where it stops responding for like 30 seconds or so then rapidly fires through any actions you tried to do while it was unresponsive every now and again - but also have some systems where it does goes unresponsive but almost never recovers (sometimes rebooting will fix it for a short while) - which can take weeks or months from a fresh install to start happening.

Dunno why some systems seem more prone to it than others - the only difference I can think of is that the one most effected is used for testing graphic cards.

Back
Top Bottom