Soldato
Interesting thread idea. Though I don't feel ive been part of the community here for long enough so I don't deserve.

Will look forward to seeing the videos though :) I do like Switzerland. Though I'd be scared I'd only eat raclette all day!

Man of Honour
OP
There is no entitlement here, if you want in then you're in. The only thing I would ask is that I have a call with anyone who wants to stay at my house to make sure they're not nut bags :p

The food here is quite diverse, more so than in the UK anyway, and I have a pizza oven in my garden anyway :p

Soldato
Ha, that rules out most of us then :p

I may not make it down to the Alps this year so will 100% be doing at least 10 days next summer in the Alps. It might take a bit of planning, but an OCUK meet in the Alps would be awesome :D Would give people plenty of time to book time off work/bribe the missus etc. :D

Answering your questions:

How long have you been riding for? 2 years as at May 2016
Are you experienced with riding mountain roads? Only Welsh ones ;)
How long would you like to visit for? 10-14 day trip, but not all in one place - so 2-3 days max
How many km's per day would be ideal? - 300-400km max
Are you looking to maximise riding time or to experience the views and other activities too? Both!
Are you happy to be recorded if all faces and plates are blurred? Yep
What type of weather/temperature would you like (it reached 38 degrees here last summer)? Dry and warm
Would you rather stay in a large communal room at my house or hotels/hostels? Either/both
Would you prefer to bring your own bike (if so what bike) or rent here? Own bike

Associate
I like the Idea. What area are you in again Kreee? I did a season in Chatel so probs not too far from where you were and I always said to myself I'd love to come back in the Summer to experience the Alps without snow. Even come March/April when all the snow was melting the clear blue skies and warmth from the Sun was amazing.

Had never really considered riding though. If I did bring my own bike I'd need there to be a petrol station ever 200km :(

Soldato
I like the Idea. What area are you in again Kreee? I did a season in Chatel so probs not too far from where you were and I always said to myself I'd love to come back in the Summer to experience the Alps without snow. Even come March/April when all the snow was melting the clear blue skies and warmth from the Sun was amazing.

Had never really considered riding though. If I did bring my own bike I'd need there to be a petrol station ever 200km :(

It's not outer mongolia, they have petrol stations there :p and running water, electricity... :D

120 miles on a tank is fine to get down to the alps, just means if you motorway it down there you'll be stopping every couple of hours rather than every 3 hours. Once you're down there you wouldn't want to be doing more than 250 miles a day, so that's 2 fill ups - one in the evening before you stop so you haven't got the fanny around looking for fuel and have a full tank to start the day on, and one mid-route. the rules for group riding are to all fill up with the smallest tank anyway, unless you have something like a GSA with double the tank range.

Associate
Very tempting, will depend on various things coming together but I'd love to do a tour of the Alps.

How long have you been riding for? 11 years
Are you experienced with riding mountain roads? I live in Cambridgeshire :p Done the occasional pass in Wales and the Lake District though
How long would you like to visit for? A week sounds about right
How many km's per day would be ideal? Wouldn't want to do much more than 300km, depends on which bike
Are you looking to maximise riding time or to experience the views and other activities too? Mix it up
Are you happy to be recorded if all faces and plates are blurred? Sure
What type of weather/temperature would you like (it reached 38 degrees here last summer)? Anything that doesn't include ice
Would you rather stay in a large communal room at my house or hotels/hostels? Either would work. Any local campsites?
Would you prefer to bring your own bike (if so what bike) or rent here? Own bike, hopefully by that time I'll have my old Guzzi running otherwise Caponord

What do you have in the way of security? Neither of my bikes are particularly valuable but a whole group parked up may be something of a target.

Man of Honour
This sounds like an interesting prospect! I used to Drive/Holiday to Switzerland with my parents a lot when I was a kid, but never had the confidence to go back alone. My French is useless and my German non-existant!

Would love to go back with some backup!

How long have you been riding for? 14 Months
Are you experienced with riding mountain roads? Quite a bit of North Wales & Lake District
How long would you like to visit for? No-Preference with enough notice
How many km's per day would be ideal? 300-400 Max
Are you looking to maximise riding time or to experience the views and other activities too? A decent mix
Are you happy to be recorded if all faces and plates are blurred? Sure
What type of weather/temperature would you like (it reached 38 degrees here last summer)? As long as it's dry !
Would you rather stay in a large communal room at my house or hotels/hostels? Either :)
Would you prefer to bring your own bike (if so what bike) or rent here? My Own

Do you guys (all) typically use comms on group rides ?

Soldato
Too many unknowns around the other halves business and what spare cash I will have to commit in any shape or form at the moment. However! Given the chance I would love to.

How long have you been riding for? smaller bikes 5 years then a gap and big bikes 2 years - all daily
Are you experienced with riding mountain roads? Not really
How long would you like to visit for? about a week
How many km's per day would be ideal? 300-400 is enough for me in my experience
Are you looking to maximise riding time or to experience the views and other activities too? best of both
Are you happy to be recorded if all faces and plates are blurred? sure
What type of weather/temperature would you like (it reached 38 degrees here last summer)? warm and dry are good
Would you rather stay in a large communal room at my house or hotels/hostels? As long as I don't end up 'little spoon' I don't mind
Would you prefer to bring your own bike (if so what bike) or rent here? Would rather use I bike I know

Man of Honour
OP
Ok so I'm thinking August 28th to September 1st to make the most of that bank holiday, meaning 4 days off work. That gives people the weekend to get to me and then the weekend again to get back. Anyone arriving early or leaving late can do some bonus riding in the area.

I will plan something like the following:

Day 1:
Warm up at Gurnigel loop, followed by Les Mosses, Pillon and Jaun mountain passes. Potential to jump off a mountain with a parachute at Jaun.

Day 2:
A day going through the French and Italian passes, entering France via Forclaz pass, and returning via the via the Grand Saint Bernard pass.

Day 3: Big day of 370km!
Gruyere National park - Valais - Verbier pass - Zermatt (see the mountain on Toblerone packets) - Centovalli pass - Titcino/Italy overnight stay

Day 4: Another ~350-400km day!
Return to Gruyere via Lake Lucerne, the Susten, Furka and Grimsel passes and Interlaken (surfers in the river and great tunnels).

Day 5: Length can range from 200 to 400km depending on how everyone feels by this point.
A mild end to the week exploring the lakes and passes in the Jura (of Jurassic park fame) mountain region.

This means staying for one night in a hostel, and the rest at my house.

I will probably be importing a motorcycle here next year so I can maybe do the UK to Switzerland leg with others if they want to.

Soldato
I have a wedding in Spain so no can do that weekend but maybe the year after next ;)

The Alps are en-route to Spain, sort of... :p that would be one hell of a trip :D

Kreeee, that does sound like a nice few days :cool: I'd probably add another week onto my trip and head down to Lake Garda and the dolomites for 4-5 days before heading back home.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom