What watch do you wear?

Associate
Yes. Very pretty. But how accurate is it?

none of them are, it's not the point. I picked my £70 quartz this morning that I haven't touched in a while, and I've /never/ adjusted the time, and it's bang on...

Of my autos, the most precise is my chinese knockoff of a PO I bough as a 'demo' watch... All the others will lose/gain a few minutes a week; but then again since I let them stop between their turn on the wrist, I reset the time anyway...

Associate
Pleased to hear it..

Actually. Having thought about what I said last night, given the clear light of day (with a slight hangover)

If you're in the slightest bit Obsessive about watch accuracy I really wouldn't recommend self regulating. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands ;)

Caporegime
none of them are, it's not the point. I picked my £70 quartz this morning that I haven't touched in a while, and I've /never/ adjusted the time, and it's bang on...

Of my autos, the most precise is my chinese knockoff of a PO I bough as a 'demo' watch... All the others will lose/gain a few minutes a week; but then again since I let them stop between their turn on the wrist, I reset the time anyway...

Same here, my Seiko diver and citizen chrono are both solar powered quartz models. 6 month power reserve on both if stored out of the light. But I wear both a fair bit. Neither have skipped a beat.

My auto's also get reset as I don't currently have a winder.

Associate
Quick question for those who know what they are talking about. My wife has a fairly cheap DKNY watch that has stopped working. I took it to H. Samuel in York who tried a new battery and told me that didn't fix it and that they could send it away for a "service" for £60. I think that is about half the value of the watch so I politely refused. Does anyone know anywhere that is good and costs less to repair it. I was going to send it to RLT Watches however they don't do repairs any more. Has anyone any experience with The Watch Lab? Are they any good?

Thanks

Dave

Caporegime
The movements in that sort of watch are usually unserviceable so it'll need a new movement. Not sure what they think they can service tbh...

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't have thought there was much "servicing" that could be done, which is why I refused it. Hopefully I can get it working for less that £60 as that doesn't seem like an economical repair. Equally it seems wasteful just to replace it.

Dave

Soldato

Absolutely - if you want accuracy, do not go for a mechanical watch.

I just take enormous pleasure in knowing that something that fits on my wrist and is purely mechanical is 99.9+% accurate.

Soldato
After buying my Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch a few months ago I've noted it consistently loses 8 seconds a day. A bit of Googling suggests this is an easy tweak?

So a) do you think Goldsmiths will do this for free seeing as I've had it for less than a year and b) if not how much is this going to set me back from a reputable dealer?

Caporegime
After buying my Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch a few months ago I've noted it consistently loses 8 seconds a day. A bit of Googling suggests this is an easy tweak?

So a) do you think Goldsmiths will do this for free seeing as I've had it for less than a year and b) if not how much is this going to set me back from a reputable dealer?

Call an Omega boutique and ask if they'll take a look at it. They'll probably have to send it away and regulation can take some time.

Soldato

That's within COSC spec, so I doubt you'll get it done for free as it's still 'fit for purpose'.

Soldato
image-cacher
Sorry image is massive so I have spoiler tagged it. anyway it's my current watch of choice.

Associate
8sec/day is within spec - do you wind regularly or let it run down? That affects timekeeping a lot.

Omega will adjust it for you - it's better for it to be slightly fast than slow - but if you want accuracy, look at your phone :)

Soldato
Thanks for the input guys, 8 seconds is a pain after a week I have to say, maybe I'm just pedantic!

I do wind it daily though I try not to over-wind.

Will Omega do it for free or would it be chargable? I live in east London so there's a massive Omega showroom here at the Westfield shopping centre I could pop in to.

Associate
Thanks for the input guys, 8 seconds is a pain after a week I have to say, maybe I'm just pedantic!

I do wind it daily though I try not to over-wind.

Will Omega do it for free or would it be chargable? I live in east London so there's a massive Omega showroom here at the Westfield shopping centre I could pop in to.

Get another watch, or a couple more, and stop worrying -- let them stop between 'turns' and when you put them back on you'll have to set the time anyway ;)

That's what I do! Sometime I even slap a watch on the wrist before going to the office, and it's stopped and not on time... and I do that at the office with my first coffee... :)

Caporegime
I set my automatic watches by the time on my phone. It's as accurate as you can get. And tbh no phone, clock or watch will ever be 100%. But i love automatics or old vintage manual wound watches. My colllection is quite smalll, only 6 watches that ive bought in the last 6 months. A mix of automatics, solar powered quartz, battery quartz and a 40 year old hand wound watch. The latter is a real favourite as it's so old, recently serviced internally, few scratches on the case and chrystal but it just looks nice and old. And it's extremely accurate.

Back
Top Bottom