V5C document question - change of address/selling car

Soldato
Managed to get myself into a bit of a situation here that I'm looking for some advice with.

I moved into a flat a little while back but wasn't sure if it was going to be a long-term thing so didn't update the details on my V5C (my previous address was my parents' house). When it then became apparent I'd be staying in the my flat for good I couldn't find it and then forgot about it. Stupid, entirely my fault etc. Found the document again the other day, filled it in with my new details to get it updated, then before posting it I realised that as I'm intending to buy a car within the next week or two, I'll need the V5C in my hand if I want to sell/trade-in my current car. Oops.

What can I do? I've already written my new address in the "New keeper/new details" section, does that mean it's now useless if I sell the car as there new owner/dealer can't fill in their details as intended? If I send it away now the advice on the website suggests it might take a few weeks for the new one to arrive, which isn't ideal if I want to buy a car this week. I also don't think Tipp-Ex is going to do the trick here!

The alternative is to pay £25 by phone to have a replacement V5C sent out within the week, use that to sell the car, then update my address with the V5C for whatever new car I buy.

What to do? Does it realistically take a few weeks for a change of address/details to be processed? It's been ages since I've done it so I can't remember.

Last edited:
Soldato
Photocopy it as is, and get it sent off asap. If you sell it rather than trade it, you will need the proper address anyway.

If you trade it, the dealer will understand.

At least if you have a copy to go along with the explanation, i think shouldn't be too bad.

Back
Top Bottom