• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

Soldato
Waiting patiently for Nvidia fans to say Wall Street Journal is full of rubbish ;)

Seriously though, $199 for a 390X or potentially higher lvl performance card is mental, i might just buy 2 to tide me over til Vega :)

Caporegime
Be good if true though im mindful of the fact that vr performance is the context...

Remember, the 1080 is twice the performance of the titan x.....in vr.

Soldato
Waiting patiently for Nvidia fans to say Wall Street Journal is full of rubbish ;)

Seriously though, $199 for a 390X or potentially higher lvl performance card is mental, i might just buy 2 to tide me over til Vega :)

Also don't forget overclocking could push it to 980ti level. I'm ready for it.:p

Soldato
Be good if true though im mindful of the fact that vr performance is the context...

Remember, the 1080 is twice the performance of the titan x.....in vr.

You say that but we already are kind of getting a hint that the card will have 2304 shaders clocked at 1.2GHZ to 1.3GHZ or thereabouts.

Even if GCN1.4 had no improvements,that would place the card at R9 390 level alone. If you add improvements to tesellation,the new command processor,etc to get to R9 390X level is not such a big stretch.

It is the pricing which is key here - The WSJ and the Videocardz editor both said the low level of the pricing range for the RX480 is around $200.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You say that but we already are kind of getting a hint that the card will have 2304 shaders clocked at 1.2GHZ to 1.3GHZ or thereabouts.

Even if GCN1.4 had no improvements,that would place the card at R9 390 level alone. If you add improvements to tesellation,the new command processor,etc to get to R9 390X level is not such a big stretch.

It is the pricing which is key here - The WSJ and the Videocardz editor both said the low level of the pricing range for the RX480 is around $200.

I know but does the low level 200 dollar card match the 390x in relative gaming performance or just in vr . That is the $200 question. :p.

We will find out in a few hours anyway so im going to bed to stop speculating.

Caporegime
I find it interesting that the card leaked only has 1 * 6 pin power connector and is reportedly doing 5.5 Flops. I can hope that it is a great clocking chip and that once we get third party cards with MOAR POWA ® We could see something very cool.

However for my next build which is going to be a living room gaming rig outputting to a 1080p screen quiet and cool with 970 level performance would be perfect - especially if it comes in at a decent price.

pci-e pin power is basically a marketing tool because people think it has anything at all to do with power... it doesn't. PCi-e can draw really as much as the psu can give over those cables. The power that can be drawn is entirely limited by the mosfet/vrm capacity. AMD has a history of overprovisioning on VRM/mosfet capacity. IE where a 6990 had the mosfet delivery for like 600W, the 590 which was rated at 375W iirc, had mosfets that were realistically rated at 375W only for room temp which is why drivers reduced power limit below that level after several popped. Nvidia tends to give very little headroom with ability to deliver much above spec while AMD have tended to provide much higher capacity.

It's what makes that $100 more for Founders Edition 1080 because it has more expensive components so laughable, when they purposefully left off say $10 worth of extra mosfets/vrms to let the card overclock better, they cheaped out and stripped back from the original design to what they could get away with then charged more for it calling it premium.

Caporegime
I know but does the low level 200 dollar card match the 390x in relative gaming performance or just in vr . That is the $200 question. :p.

We will find out in a few hours anyway so im going to bed to stop speculating.

It's not really, AMD didn't have any problems with VR performance and VR performance in terms of certified by and such is really based on one factor, how much raw power the card has.

AMD bringing similar performance to half the price of the previous gen is what usually happens with a new process with double the transistor density. Only Nvidia have started trying to rip people off by changing that and replacing parts of the previous gen with ball park similar performance within the same price bracket.

Back
Top Bottom