Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (June Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 794 45.1%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 965 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
But a big factor is I don't trust the government to keep up what good the eu has done for us. If I did I'd be very strong out. But I don't

Interesting... here is a post that appeared on my FB feed earlier which makes a valid point... What has the EU done for us? just a couple of examples!

"
******** received in a letter from Councillor Bob Cook this morning. For example "Being a member of the European Union has also brought us rights and protections at work, for instance the right to paid holiday and maternity leave."

As previously discussed here, the UK maternity leave provisions are greater than those laid down by the EU. Incidentally, so are our rights to paid holiday.

"Leaving would jeopardise future investment and jobs" - tell that to the steel workers in Redcar and the manual workers losing out to cheap imported labour.

"£800 million of EU investment". THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS EU MONEY. IT IS UK TAXPAYERS' MONEY!!!

I'm going for a lie down. This is doing my blood pressure no good at all."

Caporegime
Employers would rather you paid them for the privilege of doing an internship now, and would like 5 years experience for an entry level position.

Caporegime
When there's a take it or leave it deal - join the single market, or don't, what's worse? Accept migration, or take a massive hit to the economy? Neither is good, but I'd suggest the latter is worse. The government of the day could leave it to the House of Commons/all members could have a free vote if that's what the parties decide... then it's not something done by anyone in particular :p.

I can't see us being offered single market access like we have now, except for an opt out on the free movement of people.

Because most people in the countrytend to have thier eyes glaze over when you say "economy" but the big hradlines will be "torys/labour opening flood gates to uncontroled migrants right after eu exit"

And they'll get screwed for it.

Also if its take ir or leave it its not that massive a hit to the encomomy.

Caporegime
Employers would rather you paid them for the privilege of doing an internship now, and would like 5 years experience for an entry level position.

******** theres loads of apprenticiships on, many now expanded so you also get a degree as companies are finding the direct entry graduates woeful.

Caporegime
A little over half of our immigrants are from outwith the EU. Presumably they could do something about them right now if they wanted.

And they do, they make them have to have X amount of money in the bank have skills etc.

We dont want to cut down that immigration as most of that is all those doctors and engineers we keep hearing about.

Associate
Postal vote came through today. Still not sure. Vote in for my EU holidays, vote out to control our borders. Decisions decisions. Free trade yes, Germany controlling our future, hell no.

You're trolling, right?!

I think you'll find this is where a passport comes in to play, do you not have one?

Man of Honour
yeah but potentially 20 quid for a visa :eek::eek::eek::D

It is inconceivable that we won't have visa free travel to the EU if we left. The risk to holidays is that they get more expensive through things like currency devaluation not that you'll need a visa :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Contrary to what we are being told about being a member of this huge economy called the EU giving us a better chance of negotiating trade deals, being a member actually makes it MUCH more difficult..

The trade deal with Canada has taken 7 years!!!! SEVEN YEARS and it's still not finished...

Cameron repeatedly mentioned this Canadian trade deal yesterday and there's just one problem with that - I don't believe it's in any way relevant to what will happen if we Leave the EU.

Yes it's true that it's taken Canada and the EU seven years to be on the brink of agreeing a deal, but we're not Canada - we're the UK and we're already in the EU! This means that our current trading arrangements are already fully aligned with the EU's, meaning that there are a lot fewer issues to discuss making it considerably easier to agree a deal.

delta01 said:
It will be automatic free visa in the worst case just like it is in most of countries in the world.

For me it's almost inconceivable that there wouldn't be some sort of deal for visa-free travel to the EU for UK citizens post Brexit. If they are giving visa-free travel to Turkish citizens they can certainly do so for us lol.

Soldato
Yes it's true that it's taken Canada and the EU seven years to be on the brink of agreeing a deal, but we're not Canada - we're the UK and we're already in the EU! This means that our current trading arrangements are already fully aligned with the EU's, meaning that there are a lot fewer issues to discuss making it considerably easier to agree a deal.

I knew someone would come up with that argument and I think it's staggeringly naive to think that a seven (nine?) year trade negotiation between Canada and the EU - which has vastly different trading specifications than the UK alone, could or would be plagiarised that easily.

And why would the deal negotiated by the EU specifically be good for us? Isn't that the basis of your critiscism of being within this trading block, that we can't negotiate deals tailored for us, rather than a compromised deal incorporated 28 other countries needs?

Caporegime
I knew someone would come up with that argument and I think it's staggeringly naive to think that a seven (nine?) year trade negotiation between Canada and the EU - which has vastly different trading specifications than the UK alone, could or would be plagiarised that easily.

We wouldn't be plagiarising anything. Whereas Canada and the EU had to negotiate a free trade deal from scratch, we're already in the EU, which means we already have free trade with other EU member states, the question is; what needs to change? Apart from some issues on free movement of people I would suggest not much. Even the remain campaign said it would take something like 3-4 years to negotiate free trade and they're biased towards pessimism on that. I certainly think we could negotiate a deal within the 2 years allowed by the Lisbon treaty between submitting our intent to Leave the EU and the day we actually Leave.

And why would the deal negotiated by the EU specifically be good for us? Isn't that the basis of your critiscism of being within this trading block, that we can't negotiate deals tailored for us, rather than a compromised deal incorporated 28 other countries needs?

As Angela Merkel said yesterday, countries that are at the bargaining table get better deals. At the moment we aren't at the bargaining table, it's not that we can't negotiate deals tailored for us it's that we're not allowed to negotiate deals at all. If we Leave the EU then we will be at the bargaining table - the EU can't negotiate a UK-EU trade deal without us.

Soldato
All reports say that we are now absorbing the additional population of a city the size of Liverpool each year.

How do the remain people see this as sustainable?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom