• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New build won't boot with gpu installed please help

Associate
the 12v rail is where the 8pin cable is connected to the psu, at the other end of the cable splits into 2x8pin, dont use both to connect the card, rather use one , and then use the 2nd cable for the 2nd 8 pin on the gpu.
if this doesnt work, remove the gpu, plug the monitor back to the motherboard display connector, then reboot the pc, go to the bios, and look for the option onboard graphic and disable it if it's activated, shut down the pc, install the gpu, plug the monitor to the gpu display, and reboot.

Last edited:
Caporegime
GPUs can be a little finicky and need to be pushed firmly home. You could try reseating the card and make sure you have the power connected to both slots, or failing that, try a different slot. Also make sure the PCI-E is the main GPU in the BIOS and not the Intel one.

Caporegime
Could the problem be my psu?

It's a nonmodular unit which only has 2 pci - e connectors,

Both of which are on the end of one cable, both are 6 Pin connectors with little extra connectors attached to make them 8pin.

One marked PCI Express and one marked SLI ready.

So I've got them connected that one is turned into 8pin to fit the 8pin on card and one just as standard 6pin into the 6pin on gpu

Quite possibly and the constant reboots do hint at that. Do try what I said first though.

Associate
Could the problem be my psu?

It's a nonmodular unit which only has 2 pci - e connectors,

Both of which are on the end of one cable, both are 6 Pin connectors with little extra connectors attached to make them 8pin.

One marked PCI Express and one marked SLI ready.

So I've got them connected that one is turned into 8pin to fit the 8pin on card and one just as standard 6pin into the 6pin on gpu

did you try disabling onboard graphic in the bios ?

Associate
In bios it's set to initial display PCIe 1 Slot and internal gfx is set to auto l.

However I worry that if I set to disabled that I won't be able to access the PC at all as when the gpu is installed I don't get anything at all.

If I disable and it still doesn't work then how would I get back to bios.

you can reset the cmos by taking out the round little battery on the motherboard for 10 minutes, then puting it back, that puts back bios to default.

Caporegime
The 390 isn't a particulary power hungry card and the PSU you have should be fine. Does it ever get to Windows log-on? If your CPU is overclocked, drop that for testing purposes as well.

Associate
You could really do with a second pcie graphics card to try it with as it may simply be that your new graphics card is DOA and will never work.

Associate
I have just ran and got an r9 380 from a friend and it works no problem.

Tried my card on his rig and it's acting the same as it does on my new machine. However his rig also has a 520w psu.

Do we think the gpu is doa or possibly still a psu wattage issue ?

then the gpu is probably faulty if it didnt work on both rigs, or maybe you made the same mistake on both rigs while installing it and that seem unlikely.
is it a new 390 or a 2nd hand ?

Back
Top Bottom