Samsung LS34E790C - Curved 34" 21:9 super-wide

Soldato
After stewing and stewing and more stewing on this for about 2-3 weeks on which 21.9 ultrawide to buy, I've just gone ahead and ordered this monitor. I must say, kinda shocked when I checked the price on OCUK. Brought back memories on how we (I) used to get rinsed on the UK import costs or whatever it is that push the price up.

Anyway, I paid £538.30 including delivery with a 3 year perfect panel warranty. Usually a bit more than that but thanks to Lizzie's birthday and some voucher codes I had kicking around, it brought the price down nicely.

This is 2 days after buying a Dell 27' IPS I decided today I weren't happy with in the end.

So, now I just hope I get a good screen out of this whole ordeal.

Associate
You should hopefully, my first I got was ****, had a disgusting looking dust on the right side always visible no matter what was displayed. But the Second was perfect.

Quick settings without a calbritation tool.

Brightness: 38
Contrast: 75
Sharpness: 60
Magic Bright: Custom
Color: R: 50: G: 40 B: 50
Gamma: Mode2 - Mode3 makes more black crush at least on my sample.

My first one had a red tint on it, so I needed 42 on red, but second had no red tint luckily, so I keeped it on 50.

What makes this imo the best 60hz 21:9 3440x1440, is there is nooo ugly bleed. Which is a imo a gamebreaker.

Last edited:
Associate
Just picked one of these up today, going from a 20" ancient monitor that i have lived with for 10 years is something else, very impressed so far but will report back with further findings.

Soldato
Only problem I had with the Sammy was after a while reading text on websites I kept getting eye strain and no matter what settings I used I could not sort it, but as for gaming it was great

Soldato
You should hopefully, my first I got was ****, had a disgusting looking dust on the right side always visible no matter what was displayed. But the Second was perfect.

Quick settings without a calbritation tool.

Brightness: 38
Contrast: 75
Sharpness: 60
Magic Bright: Custom
Color: R: 50: G: 40 B: 50
Gamma: Mode2 - Mode3 makes more black crush at least on my sample.

My first one had a red tint on it, so I needed 42 on red, but second had no red tint luckily, so I keeped it on 50.

What makes this imo the best 60hz 21:9 3440x1440, is there is nooo ugly bleed. Which is a imo a gamebreaker.

Which is the issue I had with the Dell. Weren't even that bad but I kept getting distracted by it. Luckily I sold it for 80 bucks more than I bought it for.

The guy I bought the Dell from just upgraded to a 21.9 LG and the bleed was terrible. That was the one I was seriously looking at. Was his 3rd monitor and he said he's just going to live with it. Kinda made up my mind in getting the VA panel. Still keeping my 27' AOC as a kinda dual monitor setup for day to day use if eye strain is as bad as they say on the Sammy. The Samsung is purely for gaming and nothing else.

How you finding yours after calibration?

Associate
if eye strain is as bad as they say on the Sammy.
How you finding yours after calibration?

Hmm, have no problem with eye strain on the sammy.

Pretty amazing dude, I first just used the above written settings picked up from pcmonitors.info. With this settings the monitor was already well calibrated. i tried some profiles from this thread too, but they were all doing black crush or/and bad colors. So I used no profile. I got a X-Rite i1Display Pro later on from a friend for a couple of hours. And it improved the screen even more.

But if I would need to buy the calibrator I wouldn't. Sure the picture got even better, but it's not worth it to spend so much money extra honestly.

I had the dell u34...too. but the bleed was horrible as expected. I do gaming, watching movies in 21:9 (which perfect btw) and some little Photoshop. And for me the samsung was the clear winner in those things.

Of course the samsung has no IPS viewing angles, but for me they are good enough (slighty washed out colors viewing it from the far left/right/up/down). And he has just 60Hz, But I never used 120hz or more so I don't how that looks or feels. So 60hz is just fine for me.

Some peope say the text isn't as sharp as on Dell or LG -> Yes! But is it a big difference? At least for me nope! Black/Contrast/bleed wise the Samsung just wipes the floor with the Lg's and Dell's The details you can see on dark scenes is amazing.

Sry for the bad english, it isn't my native language, german guy here. ^^

Last edited:
Soldato
That's good to hear.

I've got an untrained eye when it comes to most of monitor issues but BLB I can see from space. Just sensitive to it. For example, didn't even know what color banding was until I saw it on here as a 'thing'. Remember seeing it on my AOC panel but never really bothered me. Was just one of those things I got used to.

60HZ is fine here too as I've only got a 980GTX. Be surprised if that can push the latest games at max settings beyond 60FPS. So not something I'm worried about.

Soldato
The issue with eye strain comes with prolonged office usage. The panel type simply makes text poor, it's great for media content but really really poor compared to a good IPS when it comes to text.

Associate
So set it up last night, zero Back Light Bleed which is the deal breaker for me.
Much tinkering with settings because out of the box settings are dreadful but now Im perfectly happy.
Tested a few games and wow the extra width is amazing as for the curve you barely notice it to be honest.
Some of my games are struggling so an upgrade to a 1070 minimum is definitely in the pipeline.
Anyway I got this at a bargain price which I wont disclose here but I am certainly more than happy.

Soldato
Mine's in transit. Bought it at the start of the bank holiday so taking a while to get here. Should hopefully have it all set up by the end of this week which gives me the whole weekend to tinker.

Associate
So set it up last night, zero Back Light Bleed which is the deal breaker for me.
Much tinkering with settings because out of the box settings are dreadful but now Im perfectly happy.
Tested a few games and wow the extra width is amazing as for the curve you barely notice it to be honest.
Some of my games are struggling so an upgrade to a 1070 minimum is definitely in the pipeline.
Anyway I got this at a bargain price which I wont disclose here but I am certainly more than happy.

;) Sounds good man, have fun.

Soldato
Turns out my monitor's been sent to the wrong CITY. Mistake's now been picked up and it's on its way. Can't blame the delivery firm I guess, you can only deal with the caliber of applicants you get.

Just how with all the to and fro it's not too badly damaged.

Soldato
Must say, they turned that around quickly. Monitor now delivered. Stuck at work for another hour then home to check it out. Half tempted to set it up in my office ..

Soldato
Ok, had it for an hour now. Thoughts updated through the weekend as I spend time with it.

Firstly, out of the box, WAY too bright. Everything looked washed out and my heart sank. Lowered the brightness and the colors near enough exploded through. Had a little play with the settings but will have a proper look tomorrow. Right now it looks good enough to work with.

I'll have a read through the thread to see what settings everyone is going with.

Soldato
Had a go on a few games. My 980GTX is starting to creak at the seams when it comes to 1440p, especially in Doom where I had to turn some sliders down, so to speak. However, everything looks fantastic.

Soldato
Have spent a lot of time now messing around with the settings.

Best results I have is using the Nvidia Control Panel settings. Just seems to bring through the colors a lot better than the OSD settings or any profile I use.

Had heaps of banding until I started playing around with those and it all disappeared pretty much instantly.

I have:

Brightness: 27%
Contrast: 75%
Gamma: +0.92

any other settings to try?

Back
Top Bottom